28 Mar 2024, 16:07 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: RDD LX-7
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2021, 09:17 

Post Likes: +555
Aircraft: PA31, PA32R
What is the insurance market like? From what I've heard recently on the IV-P, there's only one or two options with a lot of drama going on.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2021, 10:47 

Post Likes: +334
Aircraft: Bonanza - 1997 A36TN
As I said I would like to hear from owners and they claim numbers not quite as good as the website but pretty darn close. I agree that you can get an old TBM for less, but as another poster stated, maintenance will quickly eat up that differential. In any event I wanted to compare this plane to the M600 because the performance specs seem pretty similar. Interesting that there is actually more cockpit room in the refurbished version than the original.
If you don't need six seats this is certainly an option. Another plus over the M600 is that this fits in a T hangar. Also for the price you are getting pretty much a brand new aircraft. New engine, avionics and a refurbished airframe. If you compare a brand new A36 at just under 1M and this plane just over 1M, I think you'd have a lot of thinking to do.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 12:40 

Post Likes: +2222
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Username Protected wrote:
As I said I would like to hear from owners and they claim numbers not quite as good as the website but pretty darn close. I agree that you can get an old TBM for less, but as another poster stated, maintenance will quickly eat up that differential. In any event I wanted to compare this plane to the M600 because the performance specs seem pretty similar. Interesting that there is actually more cockpit room in the refurbished version than the original.
If you don't need six seats this is certainly an option. Another plus over the M600 is that this fits in a T hangar. Also for the price you are getting pretty much a brand new aircraft. New engine, avionics and a refurbished airframe. If you compare a brand new A36 at just under 1M and this plane just over 1M, I think you'd have a lot of thinking to do.

Are you assuming self insurance? The maintenance differential will likely be eaten up by insurance, or at least a good part of it. Also a TBM has far more room. Also you can sell a TBM in a month. Experimentals often languish on the market for years.

TBM is arguably not as fun to fly, so there are other intangibles, just playing devils advocate.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 13:09 

Post Likes: +30

Are you assuming self insurance? The maintenance differential will likely be eaten up by insurance, or at least a good part of it. Also a TBM has far more room. Also you can sell a TBM in a month. Experimentals often languish on the market for years.

TBM is arguably not as fun to fly, so there are other intangibles, just playing devils advocate.

A TBM of equal panel and zero time maintenance will be twice the price..

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 15:52 

Post Likes: +334
Aircraft: Bonanza - 1997 A36TN
Another poster stated he pays $30,000 a year for insurance. That's probably more than double than a new Bonanza but no so much more than a used M600. Other costs are probably less or comparable. So if you need more seats the M600 is clearly better. If you want more room in the back, again the M600 wins. If you don't need these things, it's something to think about as the costs and performance are comparable. One caveat is though when its for sale time. The M600 will be an easy sell whereas the LX-7 will probably have a limited audience. Some of what you save at purchase time you may lose at sell time.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 12:23 

Post Likes: +159
As a 50% partner in a 2016 M600, I completely agree with Gary. We pay in the 20s for insurance on our M600, but agree that the cabin experience is superior in an M600 by a wide margin, including better pressurization differential along with lots of room and an air stair door, effective A/C, among other things.

But on the back end, these experimental turbines are not easy to sell ... small group of interested buyers. My friend with his IVPT tried to sell it and could not find a buyer who would execute, for example. The Evos have tended to sit on the market for a long time (not forever, just a long time). So if you look at an LX7, you have to go in with your eyes open for both the value proposition up front and the potential issues down the road ...

Last edited on 08 Jul 2021, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 13:50 

As a 50% partner in a 2016 M600, I completely agree with Gary. We pay Lin the 20s for insurance on our M600, but agree that the cabin experience is superior in an M600 by a wide margin, including better pressurization differential along with lots of room and an air stair door, effective A/C, among other things.

But on the back end, these experimental turbines are not easy to sell ... small group of interested buyers. My friend with his IVPT tried to sell it and could not find a buyer who would execute, for example. The Evos have tended to sit on the market for a long time (not forever, just a long time). So if you look at an LX7, you have to go in with your eyes open for both the value proposition up front and the potential issues down the road ...

Love the m600.. aaand it is 2-3x the price of the lx7… it had better be for good reason… .. clearly the m600 is a winner and you need enough $$$ to anti up…
.-
And it has different flight profile.. you really need to fly higher with the big -42 compared to the smaller -20 or -28…. So the psi for the designed altitude is about the same….compare dollar for dollar, what does $1m buy you? perhaps in your case, half a plane?….. also the ivpt is known as a pilot killer, not so On the lx7 with new wing and tail….

In the turbine world, $1m can buy you a state of art avionics USED meridian, Jetptop, Silver Eagle, maybe some twins…in piston you can buy new…

So if you have $1m and a typical flight of 2 people with sometimes 3-4.. the lx7 offers a great fast travel value… because of its low production numbers, some risk on the sell side exists, time will tell reality… I have not seen one come up for sale yet…

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 14:29 

Post Likes: +2329
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
I have not seen one come up for sale yet…
Really? A search for "lx7 for sale" finds one right away
https://www.globaljetaviation.com/detai ... tates/3681

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 15:39 

I have not seen one come up for sale yet…
Really? A search for "lx7 for sale" finds one right away
https://www.globaljetaviation.com/detai ... tates/3681

Aaaaaand.. now I have.. ha!

That airframe has 10 hrs on it? Not sure what is up with that one… I remember hearing hull #1 had some bugs and RDD took it back with full refund… so I wonder if that is hull #1 being fixed and sold as used… not sure.. just speculation…

But it seems odd with TTSN is 10 hrs

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 18:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +784
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
These comments are by no means a knock on any of the aircraft mentioned - but if you want to see what the terrible side of the already challenging aviation insurance market looks like - buy an Evolution, Lancair IVP, LX7 or Epic LT (or even E1000 for that matter), and have your broker provide you with what insurance looks like based on your quals. All those aircraft mentioned have max 2 and possibly only 1 underwriting option in total from the 12 or so current underwriting pool.

The experimental turbine world right now is very very very tough respects insurance (worst I have seen it since the mid 2000's). I would encourage anyone seriously looking at these models to consult insurance first before investing a lot of time on an acquisition. :thumbup:

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2021, 18:10 

Post Likes: +311
Tom's right. It's give and take in experimental TPs. Insurance and support may be touch and go. Get those bases covered and the ownership experience can be good.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2021, 00:57 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2
I would encourage anyone seriously looking at these models to consult insurance first before investing a lot of time on an acquisition. :thumbup:

It’s argue this is true of any Aircraft.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2021, 08:06 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +784
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
I would encourage anyone seriously looking at these models to consult insurance first before investing a lot of time on an acquisition. :thumbup:

It’s argue this is true of any Aircraft.

Not really - the experimental turbines seem to be moreso.
E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2021, 10:14 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2

I’d argue this is true of any Aircraft.

Not really - the experimental turbines seem to be moreso.

Of course. I was just making the point that before you spend time and money on a potential new aircraft, talk to your insurance broker. Many deals have disintegrated over insurance. Experimental Turbines are an extreme example.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2