Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Turbine Market Update
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021, 22:54 

Post Likes: +1039
Aircraft: What's next?
Username Protected wrote:
1st class has a lot of practical advantages over flying yourself. You can work the entire flight. Its less fun, but usually cheaper and a lot more practical.

Of course if you can afford a jet and pilot, that changes.

Its interesting that international first class is quite nice on most airlines, but domestic first is often barely better than coach
Says people who do not put a rate on their time.

"Griff, how quickly can you get here to Chicago?"

"3 hours."

10 minute drive to the airport v 1 hour.

Someone else's "hub and spoke" schedule. Parking. Check in. TSA. Waiting at the gate. OK, setting up front... while the folks in the back brush past. getting the bags. Then taxi / rental / Uber from the 121 airport vs the closer one.

When less than 1k miles I can be anywhere MUCH faster in my 340 than the 121. And my time is money. If I am flying to a non-hub city? Anything less than 1,700 miles and I am faster in my 340.

CV19 offered Corp aviation / GA / charter an opportunity to make headway that we didn't expect. Unfortunately most aviation companies are run by pilots and not businessmen. Pilots (first, as their mentality) are just bad businessmen. It is a partially missed opportunity.

"Grey hairs" learned to Zoom, but but the heavy decision makers still want handshakes and eye contact. Well-run charter companies did VERY well last year as the service on the carriers still sucks and the schedules are even worse than before.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021, 23:36 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
I guess most of my business trips are longer - rarely under 1000 miles. (mostly international, but that's not fair, since few private planes can make that trip). I think the shortest business trip I've taken in the last few years was San Francisco to Denver. I know other people have different travel requirements.

I work on my laptop in the airport and on the flight. These days have internet everywhere, and there are always a bunch of emails that need response that will fill in even just a few minutes.

I still fly my baron when I can possibly excuse it (on my own expense since work won't cover) but its for fun, not efficiency.

1st class has a lot of practical advantages over flying yourself. You can work the entire flight. Its less fun, but usually cheaper and a lot more practical.

Of course if you can afford a jet and pilot, that changes.

Its interesting that international first class is quite nice on most airlines, but domestic first is often barely better than coach
Says people who do not put a rate on their time.

"Griff, how quickly can you get here to Chicago?"

"3 hours."

10 minute drive to the airport v 1 hour.

Someone else's "hub and spoke" schedule. Parking. Check in. TSA. Waiting at the gate. OK, setting up front... while the folks in the back brush past. getting the bags. Then taxi / rental / Uber from the 121 airport vs the closer one.

When less than 1k miles I can be anywhere MUCH faster in my 340 than the 121. And my time is money. If I am flying to a non-hub city? Anything less than 1,700 miles and I am faster in my 340.

CV19 offered Corp aviation / GA / charter an opportunity to make headway that we didn't expect. Unfortunately most aviation companies are run by pilots and not businessmen. Pilots (first, as their mentality) are just bad businessmen. It is a partially missed opportunity.

"Grey hairs" learned to Zoom, but but the heavy decision makers still want handshakes and eye contact. Well-run charter companies did VERY well last year as the service on the carriers still sucks and the schedules are even worse than before.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021, 23:57 

Post Likes: +68
Aircraft: M600
If the mask mandate on part 121 travel sticks around like the shoe mandate did after that incident, the bubble may not burst so fast. I fly about 200 hours a year in a M600 and every year I’m also Platinum or Diamond on Delta for all the reasons on both sides of the argument outlined above. However between the reduction in capacity, the increased airport hassle due to Covid restrictions and the disaster of rental cars at 121 airports, I find myself taking the M600 on way more flights that in the past I would have flown commercial. It’s going to take some time before all three of those things go away.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 01:56 

Post Likes: +5100
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
For Clint and Sven, are you guys able to fulfill customer orders with your allocations or are you getting whatever inventory your OEMs send? The 5 day ground stock supply would scare me but if you are still able to keep up the sales, that’s less floor plan you’re paying for, right?

Hi Nick, my monthly dealer allocation from the OEM is much smaller than it used to be. We can still order cars but some models and options are restricted. Wait times for the restricted models and/or options are 5-6 months with no guarantee of on time delivery. Flooring costs for our new cars have almost become trivial by comparison with normal times. I was talking today with my buddy who runs the Mercedes store next to me. He is down to 115 new cars in stock - normally has a 500 unit inventory. I think this is our “new normal.”

Sven

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 09:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7244
Company: Jet Acquisitions
I neglected to add the number 1 reason GA is booming, 100% Bonus Depreciation on Used Aircraft!

Anyone who has business use or is sharp enough to start a consulting company and hire themselves has the ability to write off up to 100% of the purchase.

That started the boom we are in a long time before Covid!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 11:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5519
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Let's put this "fantastic" market to test: Anyone who rocks up with a $300K check can fly away with my 680V. :stir: ;)

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4