banner
banner

29 Mar 2024, 10:22 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: QUIT buying airplanes without a PREBUY!
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 17:48 

Post Likes: +1539
Aircraft: V35b
I’ve been in the market for a year now. I’ve looked at adds so much I don’t need to anymore, I can simply look at the number for sale on the various sites and can tell if one is gone or been added.

I did finally find a f33a I wanted to buy a few weeks ago, went to see it,spent some time and then agreed to buy the plane for the asking price, 265k, shook hands; only problem was the owner refused to move it anywhere for a pre-buy. And after looking around there was no one qualified to do it on that airport. I finally agreed that very night to pay someone to travel to his hangar and do the work. The next AM phone rang it was the owner, he changed his mind and decided not to sell even after we made a deal. I realize many have experienced things like this, but I can’t remember ever, making a deal on a handshake and then having it go away.

So much for the prebuy and handshakes.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 18:54 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
I had a handshake deal go away. I stopped looking at planes because I"d agree to buy (with a well defined course of action if the pre-buy turned up a problem).

Owner was going to bring the plane to my shop. Endless delays, and they the finally withdrew. I missed out on some other planes I would have bought in that time

Username Protected wrote:
I’ve been in the market for a year now. I’ve looked at adds so much I don’t need to anymore, I can simply look at the number for sale on the various sites and can tell if one is gone or been added.

I did finally find a f33a I wanted to buy a few weeks ago, went to see it,spent some time and then agreed to buy the plane for the asking price, 265k, shook hands; only problem was the owner refused to move it anywhere for a pre-buy. And after looking around there was no one qualified to do it on that airport. I finally agreed that very night to pay someone to travel to his hangar and do the work. The next AM phone rang it was the owner, he changed his mind and decided not to sell even after we made a deal. I realize many have experienced things like this, but I can’t remember ever, making a deal on a handshake and then having it go away.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 19:05 

Post Likes: +3718
Company: Flagstaff-Williams Dev. LLC
Aircraft: 1965 310J
Next is no marriage without prenup as alimony is no longer tax deductible

It’s cheaper to keep her unless you marry up.....

Take it from a discount Gigolo

:shrug:

I think I'll go in the next room and give my wife a big hug and a nice kiss..... :)

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 19:22 

Post Likes: +1707
Aircraft: F33A, A320

Probably dodged a bullet. If an owner is that against a prebuy it probably has some pretty big issues.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 20:22 

Post Likes: +556
Aircraft: C150
The worst buy I ever made was as is not seen. I can’t cuss here but duels parted out and parted with my cash!
Good post brother

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 00:23 

Post Likes: +1948
Aircraft: Columbia 400
Chip,
Do you find that buying airplanes that have been on a -135 certificate are less risky in a quick to no pre-buy inspection scenario? Or maybe asking in a different way, can you put more trust in the supposed rigors of -135 maintenance?
Are they generally better, safer buys or worse?

I helped a friend purchase a 421 recently that was on a 135 certificate. It still had some issues. I expected better from a 135 operation. The logbooks were a mess, the AD compliance list was out of date. Somehow the ADs were all complied with if you dug far enough into the books. Lots of little items that did not effect the airworthiness of the aircraft were neglected. We knew that going into the purchase.

I guess it would depend on the operator, they are attempting to be profitable not necessarily running an open checkbook.

Part 135? :rofl: .

When a pt135 plane is for sale, it often means the guy who's been pencil-whipping the logbook for the last 20 years retired and they ain't yet found a new guy who will put his name and certificate number on the logs.

"12,000 hours, fresh off of part 135 service"

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 04:42 

Post Likes: +554
Aircraft: 1981 F33A
Have bought three aircraft and sold two. None of the transactions had a pre buy, and no nasty surprises. I did inspect the aircraft and speak to the engineer who looked after the aircraft. To clarify all the aircraft were priced fairly/cheap. One was complex (MEP), the others were fixed gear, fixed pitch propeller.

I did arrange a pre buy on a C33 which was touted as complete logs and no damage history. Logs were missing pre 1974 and a shoddy repair had been carried out on some of the panels beneath the pilot. It was also a rust bucket. This aircraft was not local so the pre buy cost was written off as saving me an air fare and 14 days quarantine! On this logic I was well ahead.

Agree a pre buy is ideal, but is the pre buy to judge how much after purchase work is required? or part of the purchase contract with the seller agreeing to fix airworthiness items? or a combination of both? Some deals treat the pre buy differently.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 07:39 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
As for an owner not willing to move his airplane somewhere distant for a pre-buy, DON'T READ TOO MUCH INTO THAT. The single worst experience of selling an airplane was a F33 Bonanza that I had bought new and had less than 300 hours on it. The broker assured me he had a good buyer with whom he had experience. The broker flew the airplane to the pre-buy 400 miles away. They proceeded to take my airplane apart and then make me an offer of 20% less because I had a valve going bad. The broker had to get a mechanic to put the airplane back together so he could bring it home.

To this day, I thank my lucky stars that I was not there. There would have been a funeral and a criminal trial.

That was 25 years ago. The current market is a nightmare and in a temporary high. Any buyer today is either desperate or of poor judgement.

LOOK AROUND **!!@%$^&. BOATS, JEEPS, SIDE BY SIDES, CAMPERS, VACATION HOMES, there is a buying frenzy coming from the government hand outs.

It will end.

The smart money is sitting on the side lines.

Jg

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 10:15 

Post Likes: +1234
Aircraft: A36 C560 C551 C550S

Have you ever backed out of purchasing a car because you changed your mind? I’m betting so, as most of us have. Why it seems to be okay to change ones mind on a purchase, but not okay for a seller to change his mind, remains a mystery.

Robert T

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 10:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1957
Aircraft: BE-TBD
Certainly there are some companies and wealthy folks who run their airplanes on a -135, and account for most to all of the operating hours. And they spare no expense...or basically ask no questions about all the bills.

Then the other end of the spectrum are the outfits actually trying to be profitable.

different worlds for sure, yet both under the same regs.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 10:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23615
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Why it seems to be okay to change ones mind on a purchase, but not okay for a seller to change his mind, remains a mystery.

I don't think either one is proper.

If a seller decides to sell their airplane and advertises that, then it is rude and wasteful for protestive buyer's time to withdraw that after their investment.

Likewise, if a buyer agrees to buy an airplane and then backs out, it is rude and wasteful for the seller's time invested with that buyer.

If you decide to sell, then sell, if you decide to buy, then buy. Otherwise, don't waste people's time.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 10:33 

Post Likes: +1707
Aircraft: F33A, A320
The rattiest turbine airplanes I have ever flown have been on a 135. The nicest one (so far) is 91 and has never been 135.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 10:35 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1957
Aircraft: BE-TBD
The rattiest turbine airplanes I have ever flown have been on a 135. The nicest one (so far) is 91 and has never been 135.

I know of 3 Gulfstreams that are “spare no expense” airplanes. They’re only on charter for liability protection. They don’t quote trips other than a few here and there for known entities. They’re too busy and too picky.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 12:16 

Post Likes: +620
Aircraft: Conquest
...a great example is black death in a King Air's AC system. We look for it at prebuy now because we know to look for it and how to go about it....

Ok, I have to ask, what is “Black Death”? It certainly doesn’t sound good.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 12:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7258
Company: Jet Acquisitions
...a great example is black death in a King Air's AC system. We look for it at prebuy now because we know to look for it and how to go about it....

Ok, I have to ask, what is “Black Death”? It certainly doesn’t sound good.

It's not! I'm actually planning on writing a fresh article about it for King Air Magazine. When it first reared its ugly head many years ago, it received a lot of press, owners and maintenance shops became very diligent about servicing the AC system properly. It's probably time for a reminder.

Black death only affects the legacy Beech AC systems, no need to worry about it on the Keith systems. In short it comes from the AC system being serviced improperly, this is usually adding freon without evacuating the system. Always make sure your shop has the proper equipment and training to charge the AC on a King Air.

I actually just reached out to Textron to see if one of their engineers can tell me exactly what the black stuff is, I refer to it as aluminum oxide, but I'm not sure that is correct. It isn't black mold, which is what often comes to mind.

The "why" is that moisture gets in the system and reacts with the freon and with the aluminum freon lines and components in the system.

The "how" of course is failing to repair any leaks and then draw a vacuum on the entire system during servicing so that you only have freon, no moisture.

The "when" is ever since the systems changed to R134... for whatever reason it wasn't common on the R12 systems.

The "what" is a nasty, sticky, black gunk that makes its way through the AC clogging up everything. Unfortunately most victims of black death find it when their AC stops working. Once it gets to that point it's typically really bad and expensive to correct.

The "fix" is taking the entire system apart, flushing and cleaning the components, swabbing the freon lines... it's a big job. The cost can be $40k even though most of it is labor.

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next