banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 17:00 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: QUIT buying airplanes without a PREBUY!
PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 12:49 

Post Likes: +312
Aircraft: C182Q IO-550
Username Protected wrote:
Black death only affects the legacy Beech AC systems, no need to worry about it on the Keith systems.
Chip

What years / models would do you define as “Legacy Beech AC systems.....”

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 13:02 

Post Likes: +1962
Aircraft: Columbia 400
Sometimes buying without pre-buy inspection works out just fine too.

Sometimes the inspection doesn't catch a crazy expensive that will bite you in short order.

Airplanes is airplanes. Just kinda depends.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 13:40 

Post Likes: +4650
Always make sure your shop has the proper equipment and training to charge the AC on a King Air.

The "fix" is taking the entire system apart, flushing and cleaning the components, swabbing the freon lines... it's a big job. The cost can be $40k even though most of it is labor.

And trust, but verify, the shop you choose to do the work with. I had my pre-buy done at Stevens Nashville, partially based on your prior recommendations. The AC system was completely void of freon, so a full visual inspection took place for all components.

No dye leaks or flaws were found, and the system held vacuum, so they suggested a freon top off and monitor for the week or two it would be in their possession. The AC compressor kicked on during our preflight tests, and since delivery was already running over a day late, we accepted the airplane, one flight later, we had a popped CB in the nose compartment, we brought the plane back and the system was inspected, and they stated a harness had a loose wire in it, and reset the CB. Shortly after, on the next flight, the problem occurred again

I took the plane to a different shop, had the logbooks and work reviewed, and they noted in the logbooks and service records that the system was serviced with 3.4lbs of freon. The second shop found this curious as my serial number only calls for 2.5lbs, so they took all the charge out to correct the problem. They recovered a total of 4.5lbs of freon- 55% more refrigerant than a system is designed for!! Very fortunate that no further damage occurred to the components.

The CB in the nose has not tripped again :popcorn:

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 14:59 

Post Likes: +13472
Aircraft: TU-104
...a great example is black death in a King Air's AC system. We look for it at prebuy now because we know to look for it and how to go about it....

Ok, I have to ask, what is “Black Death”? It certainly doesn’t sound good.

Black, often abrasive particles in the AC system. It can happen to cars as well. I don’t know what causes it, but the end result is a lot of sweating followed by a significantly lighter wallet.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 17:45 

Post Likes: +378
Aircraft: Premier 1A
LOOK AROUND **!!@%$^&. BOATS, JEEPS, SIDE BY SIDES, CAMPERS, VACATION HOMES, there is a buying frenzy coming from the government hand outs.

It will end.

The smart money is sitting on the side lines.

Jg[/quote]

While I completely agree the smart money is sitting on the sidelines, I couldn’t disagree more on “There is a buying frenzy coming from Government Handouts”. I’m not sure what planet you’re living on when your contention is people who received 2,000 dollars over the past year an half are out there whipping up a buying Frenzy with their sudden wind fall of 2,000 dollars over said time frame. Has it occurred to you that Working and Middle Class Americans are absolutely getting financially obliterated right now?

I’m pretty sure that pittance of help went towards food, rent and medical attention as opposed to Jeep’s and Campers. You might want to Take the time to actually research and evaluate financial and economic conditions in our country before making such statements. Or better yet- get out there in your community and help those who are in desperate need right now. You can always reach out within your community and get some kids up flying. It never ceases to amaze me how much the 100 dollar Hamburger can ignite the passion for aviation within our kids. Let’s all do our part.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 18:01 

Post Likes: +621
Aircraft: Conquest
Whoa fellas, let’s not go there today. Don’t want to get this thread deleted.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 19:45 

Post Likes: +17162
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Bob,

I am not talking about the handouts to the average citizen. Apparently, you are unaware of the others that have been going on to individuals and businesses as well. It's public record. You need to bring yourself up to speed.

PPP loans went out en mass last year and were forgiven in almost all cases. One local business got over three mil, another six hundred thousand; both had record sales years. There is an estimate that over six hundred million has been fraudulent and a there is a limitation on investigation. Two of my companies got a measly $33,000. There is another program that will pay one of my businesses $240,000. My losses are real.

Trust me, PPP loans are very much behind behind this buying frenzy.

Jg

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 20:03 

Post Likes: +3718
Company: Flagstaff-Williams Dev. LLC
Aircraft: 1965 310J
Doh!

So, the PPP which was supposed to go to protect worker paychecks are going into buying KA's, and houses, etc.

Thats the problem I have with Supply side Economics.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 20:22 

Post Likes: +5304
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
I just bought a Sundowner today. I kicked the tires and drove it around the ramp once and it did just fine. So I paid in cash, with some gold bullion on top for being in such pristine condition.

Does anyone know a good AP in the SE area? :popcorn:

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 21:33 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7323
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Black death only affects the legacy Beech AC systems, no need to worry about it on the Keith systems.
Chip

Anything that is non-Keith, it’s serial number 500 and newer in the 350 I’d have to look and see where the break is on B200’s but somewhere around 2004-2005.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 21:57 

Post Likes: +312
Aircraft: C182Q IO-550
Anything that is non-Keith, it’s serial number 500 and newer in the 350 I’d have to look and see where the break is on B200’s but somewhere around 2004-2005.
Chip

Thanks

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 22:12 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2
Bob,

I am not talking about the handouts to the average citizen. Apparently, you are unaware of the others that have been going on to individuals and businesses as well. It's public record. You need to bring yourself up to speed.

PPP loans went out en mass last year and were forgiven in almost all cases. One local business got over three mil, another six hundred thousand; both had record sales years. There is an estimate that over six hundred million has been fraudulent and a there is a limitation on investigation. Two of my companies got a measly $33,000. There is another program that will pay one of my businesses $240,000. My losses are real.

Jg

Don’t forget the EIDL loans..

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 22:42 

Post Likes: +378
Aircraft: Premier 1A
[quote="John Grady Green"]Bob,

Well aware of the abuses and outright fraud on the PPP Business loan side of things as well. Glad you’re speaking to that as opposed to the average citizen as you pointed out. Tom Brady’s TB12 Wajer 55S Sport Yacht rings in at a cool 2 Million Dollars of which 960k was paid for by PPP funds. So completely agree on that type of abuse and fraud for sure and totally agree major purchases are being funded by said abuse and fraud.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 23:57 

Post Likes: +5143
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
The current market is a nightmare and in a temporary high. Any buyer today is either desperate or of poor judgement.

LOOK AROUND **!!@%$^&. BOATS, JEEPS, SIDE BY SIDES, CAMPERS, VACATION HOMES, there is a buying frenzy coming from the government hand outs.

It will end.

The smart money is sitting on the side lines.

Jg

Wise words right there, Jg. I have said to Sandra recently that we are very fortunate NOT to be in need of real estate today. We have had our homes for years so no reason to jump into the crap shoot. Everything is cyclical and we are IMHO, a supernova that will at some point become a black hole.

Sven

PostPosted: 02 May 2021, 00:07 

Post Likes: +5143
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N

Jg

Yup. Combined with historically low (and unsustainable) interest rates, a distortion in economic reality created by the federal government has been created and is unfolding before our eyes. Feels good now but will not end well.

Sven

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next