28 Mar 2024, 19:09 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: CSIP for Cirrus Trainnig
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 00:47 

Post Likes: +51
Aircraft: SR22TN, C33A, B55
Becoming quite frustrated with this whole CSIP thing, live in the Dallas area and have an SR22TN and insurance requires 20 hours of dual 5 hours of instrument prior to being covered, no big deal as im working on my instrument anyways. However they are demanding this training be done only with a CSIP, of which there are like 4 in the DFW metro plex, all with limited availability. I have tried adding on other instructors that have >500 hours in cirrus and >1500 hours total time but lack the designation which I'm told costs thousands to obtain, wondering if anyone else has found a way for their insurance company to allow others to meet their open pilot policy without the CSIP designation or is this just how it goes with cirrus aircraft?

Last edited on 27 Apr 2021, 01:31, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: CSIP for Cirrus Trainnig
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 01:05 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
you should sit at doctors office waiting on a 11:30am appointment

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 07:34 

Post Likes: +1039
Aircraft: What's next?
Depends on the pilot / broker / carrier and all the dynamics.

Early on, Cirrus didn't have a great loss history. A few of the brokers have said it's improved in recent years and that's great. However insurance companies are slow to forget about accident histories.

Them being willing to insure you without already having the IR says you may very well have a strong broker. But insuring you without an IR in that airplane is just going to be a challenge. In this market the carrier may not budge from the CSIP.

Possibly find a CFI with the quals you mentioned (loads of Dual Given in a Cirrus, not just Cirrus time), and have the broker present it to the carrier. Not just a "I want to do this".. but "I want to do this with this CFI and here are his / her Cirrus qualifications."

Good luck.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 09:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +784
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
Username Protected wrote:
Becoming quite frustrated with this whole CSIP thing, live in the Dallas area and have an SR22TN and insurance requires 20 hours of dual 5 hours of instrument prior to being covered, no big deal as im working on my instrument anyways. However they are demanding this training be done only with a CSIP, of which there are like 4 in the DFW metro plex, all with limited availability. I have tried adding on other instructors that have >500 hours in cirrus and >1500 hours total time but lack the designation which I'm told costs thousands to obtain, wondering if anyone else has found a way for their insurance company to allow others to meet their open pilot policy without the CSIP designation or is this just how it goes with cirrus aircraft?

As noted below by Doug - some of the insurers will require a CSIP and others won't. London Aviation Underwriters just requires the CFI to have prior time in type - generally about 25 hrs in type but that doesn't mean they won't approve a CFI with lower time in type as your instructor. Your broker should have presented you with transparency when shopping your policy so if you have alternate quotes you might validate what each insurer quoting your risk required of the CFI. It might be a situation where you are able to insure with an alternate carrier albeit at a slightly higher premium but result being you are able to use a non-CSIP that has prior experience in the SR22. Without an IFR in a higher value SR22 the options for quoting carriers (if you have low time - ie less than 500 hrs total time) will be limited but check with your broker.

A few years back the CSIP requirement was pretty standard amongst most insurers but some have lessened their requirements and now allow just a CFI that has prior experience in the SR series to qualify. :thumbup:

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 09:37 

Post Likes: +172
Aircraft: SR22
Stature Aviation does Cirrus training. Not sure if all of their CFIs are CSIPs, but they all have Cirrus planes in the pics.

https://www.statureaviation.com/#FlightTraining

LinkedIn
instagram: waynecease

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021, 16:00 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: Shopping
Username Protected wrote:

Exactly why i am spending $$ on my A36 and not purchasing a new cirrus. I will buy an additional airplane, it will never be a Cirrus, ever.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]