Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: SR-72
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 21:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +19119
Company: Keybilly Adventures
Aircraft: P35, GC1B
Username Protected wrote:
Exactly. The military reversed engineered alien technology decades ago, but we still went ahead with the F35 project...and screwed it up? Seems a weee bit unlikely.

You dramatically underestimate the incompetence of the government.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 00:02 

Post Likes: +4354
Aircraft: 182, A36TC
On paper the F35 does nothing particularly well. In battle it has done rather well. Is there something to the contrary out there?

Ryan Holt CFI

"Paranoia and PTSD are requirements not diseases"

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 00:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +19119
Company: Keybilly Adventures
Aircraft: P35, GC1B
On paper the F35 does nothing particularly well. In battle it has done rather well. Is there something to the contrary out there?

Where has it been to battle?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 00:06 

Post Likes: +4354
Aircraft: 182, A36TC
IAF is using it. I thought they were able to get a Russian to shoot down a Syrian or vice versa? Possible it has some sort of cloaking technology.

Ryan Holt CFI

"Paranoia and PTSD are requirements not diseases"

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 06:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3662
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2

Maybe we’re like a favorite pet, but if they would miss us that much why wouldn’t they just collect a few thousand of us and put us in a zoo?

Maybe we are already in that zoo?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 06:10 

Post Likes: +4872
Company: USAF Simulator Instructor
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
The probability that life exists on other planets is close to 100% but that does not imply that advanced aliens must already be here. For advanced aliens to be here on earth two things must happen. First, faster than light (FTL) travel must be possible. It might not be. FTL hasn’t been done with a man-made object and we are nowhere close to even attempting that experiment. There might not be a way to travel interstellar distances other than cruising along at 0.9c for millions of years. The chances of a mechanical object surviving millions of years in space is likely close to zero unless the mechanical object is a self-sustaining, planet-sized object. Building that might be even more difficult than FTL.

The second thing that must have happened is that some civilization must have advanced farther than we have. It’s not probable but quite possible that we are among the most advanced civilizations in the universe. Those other civilizations had to evolve from the primordial ooze of their planet just like we did. It took us 4 billion years. Who is to say it can be done any faster? Even if another civilization is ten million years ahead of us in evolution, if they are eleven million light years away and FTL isn’t possible, then they haven’t had time to get here yet.

Finally, it is possible that we intelligent, aggressive humans will destroy our own civilization before we reach the point of interstellar travel. It may be that any species smart enough and aggressive enough to develop interstellar travel will destroy themselves before they reach that capability.

Lastly, the creationists my be right: God created only Man 4,000 years ago and we are alone in the universe.

My personal opinion: they are out there but they’re not here. Yet.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 07:27 

Post Likes: +22857
Aircraft: A33
Those other civilizations had to evolve from the primordial ooze of their planet just like we did. It took us 4 billion years.

Hi John - we are getting pretty far afield here but...

Something I've always wondered - who's to say we are the first advanced species to have evolved on earth ? There could have been a completely different, earlier evolutionary path on earth, wiped out by a planetary extinction event and then the fossil record lost as the planet's crust recycles back into the mantle. A billion years passes, rinse lather repeat.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 08:01 

Post Likes: +19424
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
@Paul: My characterization is intended to illustrate the impression that someone might get while looking in from the outside in a judgmental fashion. Why judgmental? Because you're suggesting that some extraterrestrial power may be trying to "save" us, so I'm putting on my Chairman's hat and sitting in on the committee that's voting on the subject. Yes, I see intelligence and love and art and compassion, but I also see the other things that I do not want loose in the galaxy. I described us as (relatively) primitive in that regard and I think that compared to your proposed intergalactic community, we would have to be. Should we be exterminated to prevent us from becoming a problem? Certainly not. Should we be given the keys to the family car and told to have fun? Absolutely not, because we would pose a hazard to others, and to ourselves. We're not ready yet, and rushing it isn't helping anyone.

John M offers some good reasons why we don't have any direct evidence of extraterrestrial life. I think that one of the most credible is that when our solar system formed, there were far fewer habitable planets in the galaxy. Given the turmoil of early planetary development (ours went through two mass extinction events before we got here) perhaps we are the most developed species in the galaxy (someone has to be). If that's the case, nobody is coming to visit.

The vast distances insulate us a great deal, and if FTL travel is not possible, or hasn't been discovered yet, then, again, nobody is coming to visit.

John also touches on theology. If you want to look at it from that perspective, maybe God deliberately made it so that we couldn't reach each other. Perhaps we are but one of many isolated experiments created to raise divine creatures. Those that succeed get to meet their creator, exit the sandbox, and observe the rest of creation and measure its progress. That one we can't know the answer to.

I rather agree with John M that there are other intelligent life forms out there, but for whatever reason we have not come into contact with them.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 11:30 

Post Likes: +3727
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
My only observation to add is that if any civilization advanced enough to be considered a threat to Earth is out there and has invented something akin to the Internet, I’m not worried. Their best and brightest will clearly be devoting too much valuable time and thought to debating conspiracy theories..... :eek: :peace: :cheers:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 11:44 

Post Likes: +4872
Company: USAF Simulator Instructor
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
Exactly. The military reversed engineered alien technology decades ago, but we still went ahead with the F35 project...and screwed it up? Seems a weee bit unlikely.

You dramatically underestimate the incompetence of the government.

And yet this insanely incompetent government has possessed alien spacecraft and kept them secret for at least 74 years! Not even the most efficient and competent governments have managed that trick in the history of human civilization.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 16:41 

Post Likes: +7925
Aircraft: C-182
Not 74 years maybe, but I've seen Classified Secret documents recently released that were generated 50 years ago or more, and I have no doubt there are some we will probably never see. For the ones I've seen that are 50 years old, everybody involved in them is dead; maybe that's the criteria for releasing them.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 18:29 

Post Likes: +1967
Aircraft: Cessna 340A
My only observation to add is that if any civilization advanced enough to be considered a threat to Earth is out there and has invented something akin to the Internet, I’m not worried. Their best and brightest will clearly be devoting too much valuable time and thought to debating conspiracy theories..... :eek: :peace: :cheers:

I thought you were going to say they would be watching cat videos.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 18:59 

Post Likes: +19424
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55

I thought you were going to say they would be watching cat videos.

I think that’s more likely.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 00:43 

Post Likes: +1927
Aircraft: 737, C421
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ABen_Rich#:~:text=%22We%20already%20have%20the%20means,already%20know%20how%20to%20do.%22

I read Ben Rich's book "Skunk Works" several times. Fascinating book, but zero about space travel and ET. So,,,, I am not sure where this quote comes from.

Chris C.

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6