Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Pre-Buy Tennessee area, Mooney Bravo
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 19:12 

Post Likes: +1258
Company: Underground Airways
Aircraft: Mooney M20K 231+
Just wondering if anyone here would know someone good that would be able to do a pre-buy on a Mooney Bravo that's located in the southern Tennessee area. The plane can travel to their location if it's within an hour.
I know it's not a Beechcraft and it's probably sacrilegious but this will fit my mission for the next couple years.
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Pre-Buy Tennessee area, Mooney Bravo
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 22:07 

Post Likes: +180
Aircraft: M20S Screaming Eagle
AGL aviation in North Carolina at KMRN is a great shop. I've done a bit of work with them that included buying the paperwork that allowed bumping up the power from 240hp to 310hp on my eagle. As for their work, they are regarded as a very good shop on mooneyspace. I'd highly recommend them. The bravo has its little specialties like most airplanes and AGL should be able to do a thorough pre buy, since they mainly maintain Mooneys. However It all depends which south part of TN the plane is at. A bravo is a pretty quick airplane, so it should be able to get pretty far within an hour.

As for Bravo ownership, I'd recommend joining Mooneyspace. They should be able to help you with pretty much any problem you come up with.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 22:37 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: Mooney M20M Bravo
Cole Aviation in Dalton, GA and AGL in NC are your two best bets in the area for Mooney Service Centers. Both of them do quality work and pre-buys and stand by their work. Couldn't go wrong with either of them. Good luck!

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 22:52 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Might try Tri State a new MSC in SW Indiana

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 12:21 

Thanks everyone, Just out of curiosity has anyone here used Savvy's pre-buy and what did you think?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 12:24 

Post Likes: +387
I use AGL- they are fantastic. Best MSC I’ve worked with. Moonies fly from as far as MO for annuals with them. It’s worth it.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 18:04 

Post Likes: +17
Aircraft: Mooney M20J
Ask the seller to fly it to Maxwell at KGGG Longview, TX. That is IF they can get it in for a pre-buy!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 21:08 

Thanks everyone, I tried to get a hold of AGL without any luck and even though Don Maxwell is one of the best it was too far for the seller so after reading some reviews on BT I've decided to use Savvy.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 01:42 

Post Likes: +180
Aircraft: M20S Screaming Eagle
Couple things to look out for from my experience. Obviously make sure the SBs and ADs are complied with, but thats just basic aircraft purchasing. As to the Mooney airframe, the No back spring clutch needs to be inspected every thousand hours. It is quite pricey to inspect. Trim system in the mooney tail has limits on how much play it can move up and down. The donuts should be inspected, and same with the lord mounts. Fill the tanks up 100% and make sure they don't leak, or there isn't any fuel smell in the cabin. The Mooney tank takes a lot more fuel than advertised. It's 89 gallons with stock tanks, and 120 with the monroy long range tanks, however the stock tanks all take more than 100 gallons, and the monroys take about 135 gallons in, and re sealing a tank aint cheap either, so figure it out now rather than later. The engine should have the wet head conversion done on it. That helps a good amount with cooling. I'd also recommend getting some time with some one that has experience with them. The engine is reliable if treated well, but if not, it's around 80k to overhaul.

Other than that enjoy it. They are fantastic aiplanes, that will give you 200 knots easily in the mid to high teens, and have incredibly long legs.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 03:32 

Post Likes: +71
Aircraft: Mooney MSE
Username Protected wrote:
Couple things to look out for from my experience. Obviously make sure the SBs and ADs are complied with, but thats just basic aircraft purchasing. As to the Mooney airframe, the No back spring clutch needs to be inspected every thousand hours. It is quite pricey to inspect. Trim system in the mooney tail has limits on how much play it can move up and down. The donuts should be inspected, and same with the lord mounts. Fill the tanks up 100% and make sure they don't leak, or there isn't any fuel smell in the cabin. The Mooney tank takes a lot more fuel than advertised. It's 89 gallons with stock tanks, and 120 with the monroy long range tanks, however the stock tanks all take more than 100 gallons, and the monroys take about 135 gallons in, and re sealing a tank aint cheap either, so figure it out now rather than later. The engine should have the wet head conversion done on it. That helps a good amount with cooling. I'd also recommend getting some time with some one that has experience with them. The engine is reliable if treated well, but if not, it's around 80k to overhaul.

Other than that enjoy it. They are fantastic aiplanes, that will give you 200 knots easily in the mid to high teens, and have incredibly long legs.

Steve previously owned a J...

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 10:44 

Post Likes: +12360
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
Call Tom Tippin at TN Flying Machines. His dad, my friend, Aaron (as in the Country singer) owns a big engine Mooney.

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 09:42 

I PM’d you Lynn and Tamara’s (AGL owners) cell phones.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 09:46 

Duo post

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 10:15 

Post Likes: +641
Thanks everyone, I tried to get a hold of AGL without any luck and even though Don Maxwell is one of the best it was too far for the seller so after reading some reviews on BT I've decided to use Savvy.

Does Savvy just contract the prebuy out and look over the results ? It really really needs to be looked over by a Mooney expert, someone that sees them day in and day out. I’m based at KDNN where Cole Aviation is at. If they contract it out and it makes it’s way here let me know and I’ll keep an eye on it for you. I’ve had my Bravo for 15 years, you will love it. I came out of a J (six years) as I think you have also had. Good Luck !

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 18:51 

Post Likes: +433
Aircraft: Mooney M20J
Thanks everyone, Just out of curiosity has anyone here used Savvy's pre-buy and what did you think?

I saw one done by them and I thought it was overly detailed.
Who cares if there is a grease spot in the carpeting, a small tear in the seat or a landing light is out. These items should and can be found by the buyer when they looked at the plane.

With a prebuy you want to know about airworthiness and big ticket items:
Corrosion.
Engine/Prop in advertised condition.
Fuel tanks don’t leak.

The avionics should have been demonstrated when the buyer did a flight test. No need to pay someone to do this for you unless you’re buying it sight unseen.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next