banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 13:13 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Tesla Model X - anyone used a roof rack? Suction?
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2021, 21:18 

Post Likes: +3805
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Username Protected wrote:
Disable? You have a way to hack into the computer? This isn't a simple "lock the doors", you'd have to convince the car to not open the doors when asked to.

Child lock.

Quote:
Are you transporting the crew as well? If so, how are they getting in and out?

The crew is me. Perhaps a second person, but fortunately, as a sculler, I have no friends. ;)

Quote:
I did find this bit of a compromise on the Tesla site: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-x-roof-hitch-box.160011/.

Yeah, I saw that too, I just feel like the size and wind load of my boat is a little different than the roof box, so I wanted to see if anyone had experience with the suction cup solutions they could share how effective they really are.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2021, 21:21 

Check out SeaSucker.
Best damn suction racks known to man.
I’ma user and huge fan.

Those were what I was eyeing. What is the biggest load (perhaps aerodynamic load) you've put on them? What cars, ever tried it on the glass roofed Tesla?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2021, 21:25 

If you put something that long on top of your car and come to Oklahoma, you will be blown off in a ditch in no time. Seriously though, do you really want something that large attached with suction cups? Is it even legal?

Yes, wind load on the suction cups is definitely my concern. I doubt it's technically legal, but many people do it fairly frequently. And I never cartop my boat to Oklahoma, if I have to go that far I'm putting it on a trailer that someone else is going to drive, so we're OK there. :)

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 00:27 

Post Likes: +8
Aircraft: C195
I do not have any experience with Tesla nor with Sea Sucker mounts (although both seem to be fine, well designed products). But since this is the internet and my day job was an engineer), I feel compelled to share my relatively worthless opinion.
Based on the surface area of the Sea Sucker mounts and their solid construction they may well be up to the task. However.....
There was a thread some time ago on a bicycle forum I frequent which discussed one Tesla 3 owners experience with cracked rear glass using a SeaSucker mount to carry a single bicycle. There is a lot of non-sense in the thread but the event raises concerns.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycl ... glass.html
It not clear to me how much of the Model X roof is not glass but even these other areas of the roof may be of concern based on the recent recall for older Model X cars for “roof panel detachment”. NHTSA campaign number: 20V710. Tesla’s own number for this recall is SB-20-12-005. While I’m sure this issue has been addressed on new vehicles it certainly suggests that, while the design (when property bonded) is adequate for the intended air loads, it may not be sufficiently robust to support the larger multidirectional loads that would be imposed by the roof mounted shells. Loads that were not anticipated or considered by the Tesla designers.
We all know from experience that there are margins built into most things that may allow us to use them beyond their intended limits, but as aviators we try and use our superior skills (and judgement) to avoid routine beyond limit operations.
:dancing:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 00:12 

Post Likes: +263
Aircraft: V35
I have no idea of the nuances of roof racks sitting on Tesla roofs and I know that roof mounted bike racks typically carry otherwise unsupported bikes but...

I’ve car topped boats for a loooonnnngggg time and if you’re putting a long load up there, you better be using the rack to support it and have tie downs forward and aft to the bumpers/tow eyes to keep the load aligned and stable. Don’t want to launch it off the roof because you had to brake for something.

So really the suction cups support and resist sliding but shouldn’t have to be relied on not to get ripped off the roof.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 16:17 

Post Likes: +1949
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
It seems like you need some thing with a little more utility!!!
https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 16:57 

Post Likes: +4137
I would weld up a loading roller and tie down for the rear that comes up from the trailer hitch. Then use some suction cup mounts for the roof section. Finally in the front fabricate a tie down that screws into the front tow hook mounting point and provides a mechanical connection in the front. All pretty easy to do and you're not relying on just suction cups to hold the boat.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 17:00 

Post Likes: +2869
Company: WA Aircraft
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza E33C
Probably just get an F150 and move on.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 18:07 

It seems like you need some thing with a little more utility!!!
https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

I like the out of the box idea! But looks like I couldn’t get one for a while...

Attachment:
CF1B14AA-65BA-44B5-9202-33AA11DB5E23.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 18:10 

I would weld up a loading roller and tie down for the rear that comes up from the trailer hitch. Then use some suction cup mounts for the roof section. Finally in the front fabricate a tie down that screws into the front tow hook mounting point and provides a mechanical connection in the front. All pretty easy to do and you're not relying on just suction cups to hold the boat.

I’ve thought about that, I do have a hitch T rack. Like this:

Tbar rack

I will probably end up with something like this, just searching for the optimum convenience...

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 18:36 

I’ve thought about that, I do have a hitch T rack. Like this:

Tbar rack

I will probably end up with something like this, just searching for the optimum convenience...

Yup, that would work. You might try just putting in your front tow eye and then use that as a anchor point for a ratchet strap to the bow eye (if you have one).

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 21:34 

Yup, that would work. You might try just putting in your front tow eye and then use that as a anchor point for a ratchet strap to the bow eye (if you have one).

These boats are 27’ long, 11” wide, and weigh about 28 lbs all in. There is no bow eye! Ratchet straps are way too much force... :peace:

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 21:39 

These boats are 27’ long, 11” wide, and weigh about 28 lbs all in. There is no bow eye! Ratchet straps are way too much force... :peace:

Wow! I had no idea they even made a boat that size at that weight. Carbon fiber?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 23:30 

Wow! I had no idea they even made a boat that size at that weight. Carbon fiber?

Yes, all carbon components. Recently even the riggers have become carbon, until recently those materials were usually too easy to damage via impact and were impractical for riggers, but they have become much tougher.

Here is one example. here’s another.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 17:53 

Post Likes: +401
Aircraft: Baron 58P
It's his "range extender". ;)

If that is a "he" standing next to that Tesla then I may need to contemplate turning over a new leaf :lol:

:peace:

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2