banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 06:57 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Considering buying a Meridian
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 18:56 

Post Likes: +623
Aircraft: C180
Username Protected wrote:
I think Meridian = M500; how did the M600 show up? This confuses me.

Best,

Tom

Isn't it in the BT DNA or Code of Conduct to offer more capable airplanes as alternatives to anything being proposed?
:shrug: :btt:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 19:59 

Post Likes: +401
Aircraft: Baron 58P
What have I missed?

Acquisition costs---even you are filthy rich, cost of acquisition has to be considered IMO. A completely redone 58P (new engines/props/paint/interior and avionics) can be had for 400-500K. A new meridian is 2.2M and used comparable to a renovated 58P is 1.2M and up. :scratch:

Just sayin :cheers:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 20:17 

Post Likes: +2731
Acquisition costs---even you are filthy rich, cost of acquisition has to be considered IMO. A completely redone 58P (new engines/props/paint/interior and avionics) can be had for 400-500K. A new meridian is 2.2M and used comparable to a renovated 58P is 1.2M and up. :scratch:

so this is the rub. if business income supports it, and you fully depreciate the asset to zero, some people choose to not include that cost in the analysis of operations. some include debt service, and I've noticed that some do not.

for me, I choose to ignore the cost of capital and debt service, since I'd be spending that money anyway on something less enjoyable. could I invest it all? sure, but where's the fun in that? and if I leave this earth with a penny, then I've missed out on doing something.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 20:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7244
Company: Jet Acquisitions
And to add a wrinkle to the acquisition cost conversation, always remember acquisition cost isn't what you pay for something as much as it is the DIFFERENCE between what you pay for something and what you sell it for.

I can make a really strong argument for a Pilatus in most situations just because the value retention is so good.

Money is cheap.

Money that goes towards a nicer aircraft that you'll enjoy and hopefully has good resale value is GOOD money.

Money that goes out the exhaust pipe, into the maintenance facilities bank account or is lost at resale is BAD money.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 20:51 

so this is the rub. if business income supports it, and you fully depreciate the asset to zero, some people choose to not include that cost in the analysis of operations. some include debt service, and I've noticed that some do not.

for me, I choose to ignore the cost of capital and debt service, since I'd be spending that money anyway on something less enjoyable. could I invest it all? sure, but where's the fun in that? and if I leave this earth with a penny, then I've missed out on doing something.

Very good points and I agree---If business income will support it so that it can be depreciated and costs written off, then why not get the most plane you can comfortably afford. The only thing to be careful of in this scenario is the rapid depreciation b/c if you sell it after 3-5 years (and a lot of peeps will), one will owe the gooberment a hefty repayment. Hence we are back to the cost of acquisition needing to be considered---- unless you just have that much money and it really does not matter---in which case, cost of operation really does not matter either and more power to anyone that falls into that category!!

:cheers:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 22:18 

Post Likes: +1165
Company: Tupelo Aero, Inc
Aircraft: 1959 Twin Beech 18
It costs money to go fast ....all you have to do is decide how fast you need to go :bugeye:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 22:35 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2

Rest assured you ain't leaving this earth with a penny..

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 20:10 

Post Likes: +42
Aircraft: Bonanza a36
Finally received insurance quotes on a meridian on my Bonanza I have $2 million smooth if I want it on the meridian $18.5k first year

If I’m willing to go to a $1 million limit $12.2k first year

Initial flight training from approved facility and 10 hours dual. Haven’t asked if the initial training hours would count towards the 10 hours of dual.

These rates are a little better then I expected

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 21:24 

Post Likes: +1250
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P
What have I missed?

No, they would buy a MU2 for that money and burn jet A. It is really hard to compare piston planes to turbines.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 07:29 

No, they would buy a MU2 for that money and burn jet A. It is really hard to compare piston planes to turbines.

Agree piston and TP are apples and oranges but the question I answered was "What am I missing?" b/t a piston and a Meridian :thumbup:

You are not getting a comparable MU-2 for 450K ---high time engines with ancient avionics etc...While there are some outliers, it seems an MU-2 with lower time engines, avionics upgrades and newer paint/interior seem to be more in the 700K+ range. :peace:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 08:42 

Post Likes: +502
Aircraft: C510
Finally received insurance quotes on a meridian on my Bonanza I have $2 million smooth if I want it on the meridian $18.5k first year

Initial flight training from approved facility and 10 hours dual. Haven’t asked if the initial training hours would count towards the 10 hours of dual.

Almost always.......the dual (mentor time)......is AFTER the required initial.
That rate seems in line with what I was paying BEFORE the insurance market tightened......I would be pleasantly surprised with that rate in today’s environment.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 12:28 

Post Likes: +1250
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P

Agree piston and TP are apples and oranges but the question I answered was "What am I missing?" b/t a piston and a Meridian :thumbup:

You are not getting a comparable MU-2 for 450K ---high time engines with ancient avionics etc...While there are some outliers, it seems an MU-2 with lower time engines, avionics upgrades and newer paint/interior seem to be more in the 700K+ range. :peace:

Meridian and 58p are not in the same category. People shopping for a meridian do not have the 58p on their short list. Operating cost between the two are the only thing comparable. What you are missing is turbine reliability, better climb, faster, higher ceiling, higher cabin pressure, cabin room and resale.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 12:38 

Post Likes: +1687
Aircraft: T210M

Sorry if it was stated and I missed it, but what hull value for those rates?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 13:28 

Post Likes: +334
Aircraft: Bonanza - 1997 A36TN
It seems everything doubles when you move up to a TP except the speed. :lol:
But I'm looking to go to a used M600 in a couple of years (hopefully) The main difference for me between the M500 and M600 is the range. Everything else is pretty similar. The M600 will guarantee me non-stop to Florida/Boca. The M500 is iffy. If they made tip tanks for the Meridian/M500 I would move up sooner.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 16:38 

Post Likes: +3575
Aircraft: Piper M600
The main difference for me between the M500 and M600 is the range. Everything else is pretty similar.

Well, there are some nice differences with the M600..... Please slow for the lear jet ahead, you are showing 90 knots faster ;-). The Vmo does allow you to often stay on the arrivals, making sequencing a little easier for ATC, and getting you on the ground a good bit faster. It is a heavier stronger aircraft, and does fly a bit differently. But the M500 can't be beat for overall acquisition and operating cost.

Attachment:
1.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next