banner
banner

27 Apr 2024, 21:01 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Because we needed a CJ2 / CJ2+ thread...
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 09:36 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
Thanks Corey for the detailed response. It’s nice to hear from someone flying behind the package.

I have basically the same except the GFC 600 (no STC yet, still using SPZ 500). Dual TXi panels, dual GTN 750 Xi, dual remote transponders, GMA 35 audio, GWX 75 radar. When the GFC 600 STC comes out, Ill put that in.

The die hard jet jocks sneer at the GTN stuff, not the FMS culture they are used to. A "proper" FMS does do things the GTN doesn't do, like TOLD data, fuel computations, etc. I find all of that to be a very minor issue.

There is a huge benefit to the GTN system over an FMS, database update pricing. I keep my jet up to date for about $800 per year. To keep the UNS-1 FMS up to date would have been about $6K per year.

Another cost savings are repairs. The Garmin pricing is vastly less than places like Honeywell or Collins which serve jet class airplanes. This comes from the economies of scale from Garmin supporting so many piston aircraft.

In short, I get my jet avionics for piston prices. Shh, don't tell Garmin this.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 10:36 

Post Likes: +78
Aircraft: King Air C90
Thanks Corey for the detailed response. It’s nice to hear from someone flying behind the package.

I have basically the same except the GFC 600 (no STC yet, still using SPZ 500). Dual TXi panels, dual GTN 750 Xi, dual remote transponders, GMA 35 audio, GWX 75 radar. When the GFC 600 STC comes out, Ill put that in.

The die hard jet jocks sneer at the GTN stuff, not the FMS culture they are used to. A "proper" FMS does do things the GTN doesn't do, like TOLD data, fuel computations, etc. I find all of that to be a very minor issue.

There is a huge benefit to the GTN system over an FMS, database update pricing. I keep my jet up to date for about $800 per year. To keep the UNS-1 FMS up to date would have been about $6K per year.

Another cost savings are repairs. The Garmin pricing is vastly less than places like Honeywell or Collins which serve jet class airplanes. This comes from the economies of scale from Garmin supporting so many piston aircraft.

In short, I get my jet avionics for piston prices. Shh, don't tell Garmin this.

Mike C.

Mike

We’re already running dual 750’s in this particular CJ. We did that mod right after we bought it several years ago and it’s been a great set up. We have been fighting an autopilot issues for many months now, and a lot of the other Honeywell components are starting to get problematic to get either fixed or replaced in a timely manor. We fly the airplane 2-4 days every week so extended downtime while we troubleshoot or hunt for parts really hurts. Now that the STC for the 600txi and GFC autopilot has been approved, we are leaning very hard towards pulling the trigger on ripping everything out and do a full avionics upgrade - but haven’t found any CJ folks flying behind it yet to get real world feedback. It’s a pretty big commitment $$ wise…

We’re in the middle of doing the 600txi/dual750txi/GFC autopilot upgrade to our 90 king air. We’ve been flying that one with a classic 600 and 750 package with the old Collins autopilot from 1978. I’m excited to get the new stuff in and enjoy those little upgrades. We should get it back in 2 weeks or so, so I suspect that will help our decision on the CJ.

About half our current fleet is running Garmin and the other half is running Honeywell FMS and agree there is some functional differences between the two with the jets, but it’s not debilitating - just different key strokes to get to the same result. I do wish the FMS data package was like the Garmin pricing…it’s the same data…. If we can do the entire upgrade on this CJ that will get all but 3 of our 12 planes full Garmin. There’s real value to that part too. The remaining 3 don’t currently have any Garmin upgrade paths available to them.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 12:37 

Post Likes: +2760
I know it's a CJ2 thread, but here's a CJI question, sort of:

if you keep the original FMS, and NavCom, and use a 725 for your WAAS GPS, does it push the LPV indicator to the original FD/ADI? or do you need a secondary indicator like the Garmin GI106?

in the legacy citations, what are the options for glass ADI? (ie, if you didn't want to swap out all the avionics due to cost, could you get any glass?)

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 13:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +237
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
You'll need the jet tech stc to do LPV approaches with the 725/750 on any model with the stock avionics. You actually shoot the approach in green needles like an ils but you don't switch over the GTN to VLOC.

Kinda funky but it gets the job done. We have our CJ and CJ2 configured this way.

The gi275 is certified for the 525s, but I'm pretty sure it's only for backup use.

-The Citation Jet Exchange

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2023, 11:53 

Post Likes: +1302
Aircraft: C501SP
I know it's a CJ2 thread, but here's a CJI question, sort of:

if you keep the original FMS, and NavCom, and use a 725 for your WAAS GPS, does it push the LPV indicator to the original FD/ADI? or do you need a secondary indicator like the Garmin GI106?

in the legacy citations, what are the options for glass ADI? (ie, if you didn't want to swap out all the avionics due to cost, could you get any glass?)

I am going by memory of things I have read on CJP, but a lot of folks have swapped out their spinning metal with Sandel displays. They are "drop-in" (same cut-out in the panel) for the stock attitude and hsi units.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2023, 10:23 

Post Likes: +2760
You'll need the jet tech stc to do LPV approaches with the 725/750 on any model with the stock avionics. You actually shoot the approach in green needles like an ils but you don't switch over the GTN to VLOC.

Kinda funky but it gets the job done. We have our CJ and CJ2 configured this way.

The gi275 is certified for the 525s, but I'm pretty sure it's only for backup use.

Can you add some detail? you select the LPV approach; then what device send the LPV signal to the ADI?

can you buy this STC as part of installing the GTN, without paying for the whole $300k glass upgrade?

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2023, 12:35 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

My setup, G700 TXi (same as G600 TXi), GTN 750 Xi, you shoot LPV on magenta and ILS on green.

Works well.

Columbia (now Blackhawk) STC. Still uses SPZ 500 FD/AP the plane had from the factory.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2023, 19:42 

WWW  Profile

My setup, G700 TXi (same as G600 TXi), GTN 750 Xi, you shoot LPV on magenta and ILS on green.

Works well.

Columbia (now Blackhawk) STC. Still uses SPZ 500 FD/AP the plane had from the factory.

Mike C.

Yes, with the G700TXI you can use it as a traditional magenta GPS/ILS green. With stock avionics in the CJ/CJ1/CJ2 with the Jet Tech STC you shoot an LPV approach in green needles.

Gary, I'm speaking towards the CJ 525 series and yes you can install the 750/725 stand alone without the full Garmin upgrade. You will need the Jet Tech STC. We have a straight CJ and CJ2 with dual 750s (one with the XI). The CJ has the stock EFIS system and the GTN will sent data to the Honeywell EHSI for the approach, albeit you'll be in green needles.

The GTN 750 in the CJ2 will send the data to the HSI on the Proline 21 display, but again you'll shoot it in green needles. The GTN will remain in GPS mode rather than VLOC.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2023, 09:51 

WWW  Profile

Edit of the original video CJ2 vs CJ2+

[youtube]https://youtu.be/AeuqDf8aMl8[/youtube]

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3