Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: New Mooney Owners Website - NO/ZERO Aircraft Shown/Marke
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 11:44 

Post Likes: +13591
Aircraft: TU-104
Username Protected wrote:
Is there a market for a $425K 205? (170 Knots, 1030 lb useful, 646 lbs full fuel, 700nm range)

I would guess the answer is yes, but at much much less than 10 airframes per month. Maybe 10 per year? There are just too many good alternatives at or below that price point if you are willing to accept slightly used.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 12:12 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
Touche Joel, the long body acclaim though is a fair bit faster than the Cirri :D
I like the Cirrus better for everything it does.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 17:46 

Post Likes: +784
Aircraft: Mooney 201
All I can say, as a former Cirrus owner (now Piper M600 owner), is that I took damn good care of my airplane. Always hangared it (with my local Cirrus service center in their group hangar), did paint correction/ceramic coating (which was fantastic actually). It would simply never have occurred to me to leave it in a tied down on a regular basis.

Of course, there are some areas/airports where there is a long wait for an individual hangar, but even in those places there are usually group hangar and concierge options available. I don't understand people who don't take advantage of that either ... no matter what they fly.

I think I've always been "connected" to the GA community online and locally here in Houston ... I do think there is a tendency to paint Cirrus owners in a certain way, which of course like any such major generalization, reflects some people accurately but not others (or even most of them). I met numerous Cirrus owners through COPA and CPPPs (and other events) who took great care of their planes, were good pilots who were focused and committed to training and safety, and loved being part of the broader GA community. And we should be glad to have those pilots in the community, just like any other pilot.

Just my two cents. Don't get me started on all those short and skinny Mooney pilots who love to shoehorn themselves into tiny tuna fish cans for an extra 20 knots of speed ... *laughing and j/k*. Maybe some folks are jealous of Cirrus pilots who can afford a new, $900k single. I'm jealous of anyone who can FIT in a Mooney!! ha ha

We used to live in Houston, and the Cirri there always seem well cared for. Maybe Tim above is right and there is something unique to the local DC Cirrus operation that has influenced a local disinterest in hangars...

If I had $900k for a plane (and I don’t), I’m not sure a Cirrus would be my choice (it would be higher on my list than a Mooney product in that price range, though) but I understand the appeal of one. Meantime I’m going to keep squeezing into the Mooney for the time being.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 18:35 

Post Likes: +4019
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
All I can say, as a former Cirrus owner (now Piper M600 owner), is that I took damn good care of my airplane. Always hangared it (with my local Cirrus service center in their group hangar), did paint correction/ceramic coating (which was fantastic actually). It would simply never have occurred to me to leave it in a tied down on a regular basis.

Of course, there are some areas/airports where there is a long wait for an individual hangar, but even in those places there are usually group hangar and concierge options available. I don't understand people who don't take advantage of that either ... no matter what they fly.

I think I've always been "connected" to the GA community online and locally here in Houston ... I do think there is a tendency to paint Cirrus owners in a certain way, which of course like any such major generalization, reflects some people accurately but not others (or even most of them). I met numerous Cirrus owners through COPA and CPPPs (and other events) who took great care of their planes, were good pilots who were focused and committed to training and safety, and loved being part of the broader GA community. And we should be glad to have those pilots in the community, just like any other pilot.

Just my two cents. Don't get me started on all those short and skinny Mooney pilots who love to shoehorn themselves into tiny tuna fish cans for an extra 20 knots of speed ... *laughing and j/k*. Maybe some folks are jealous of Cirrus pilots who can afford a new, $900k single. I'm jealous of anyone who can FIT in a Mooney!! ha ha

Heh Joel,

I'm laughing with you. Good post. I know you are messing around a little, now I get to. MP is way taller than I am and seems to love Mooney's. It's an acquired taste I'd say.

I have a beat up old Acclaim I just bought that is 14 years old. How about we go up to 14,000' and see how long you can look up my a$$ :D before i'm out of sight. Don't worry you can run ROP I'll be LOP.

I'm 6'1" 190 lbs or a little less now. My son is 6'4" & 215 and the guy that sold me my first Mooney is 6' and a little heavier than we are. We fit just fine in the long body Mooney, W&B and leg room. I actually sat behind my son left front. Most don't realize it but the Mooney Long body has more width than the Bo. Can't carry as much in cargo or people. I think your cirrus is bigger in width but has many of the same limitations as the Mooney regarding space and useful.

Back to the speed contest, range and fun. (Oh wait, what happens if your electric trim goes bonkers? We have manual elevator trim like all real aero planes...)

Last trip was 203 KTAS at 14,000' LOP 16.8 GPH. Another day 17,000' was 214KTAS same fuel flow. 60d LOP both. I'll buy the steaks and you the Hendrickson for me.. :cheers: Win or lose this is a win/win...
Best,
CET
PS I climb at 130kts and 1200+/minute to the flight levels so your sight time may be shorter than I'm thinking.

PS 2: Rebecca I'm also not interested in a 900K plane, no that's not right, I'm interested but not doing it...

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4