banner

28 Mar 2024, 11:48 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Boeing E-75 Stearmans
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 17:06 

Post Likes: +954
I never took my reserve parachute for granted after that incident being fully aware of the control limitations inherent in the reserve canopies of the time.

My recommendation for those that are wearing emergency parachutes with round canopies is to answer the questions in my list above. To me, this is no different than learning the flight characteristics of any aircraft being piloted.

Given a choice, however, I would opt for a modern square parachute for an emergency rig. I am obviously biased in that I have operational experience with the two types (round vs. square). But here is the deal:

1) With modern squares, one has many choices as to type and size. One can choose an optimum parachute for the exit weight that provides excellent flight characteristics.

2) Once rounds began to disappear as reserve parachutes for parachutists, all attention was paid to maximizing deployment reliability and packing methods to assure quick, safe, malfunction-free deployments. This has been the case for the past few decades. Modern materials and manufacturing methods assured compact, highly efficient, very strong parachutes with excellent flight capabilities.

3) Square parachutes are flown, with a predetermined forward speed based on a set angle of attack providing a healthy forward speed (10-20mph, maybe more). Inherently stable since the parachutist provides a "keel effect".

4) Outstanding turn capability, very intuitive to the jumper.

5) Can be flared easily for landing resulting in a momentary zero vertical speed (and very low forward speed) for stand up (or walk-out) landings.

6) Squares are packed with the steering toggles set at 1/2 brakes. This is to assure stable openings as well as result in a moderate rate of descent if the jumper is incapacitated.

7) Squares use a "free bag" system for deployment in that the pilot chute, bridal and deployment bag completely separate during deployment so that they pose no entanglement risk. My round reserve had a pilot chute attached to the apex of the canopy by a bridal that could snag on a jumper and create a "horseshoe" malfunction resulting in a fatal situation (this did happen on occasion in the sport at the time).

Previously, I recommended that any pilot who is planning on wearing an emergency parachute to make a tandem jump to be familiarized with the realm of exit, freefall sensations and canopy deployment as well as canopy control.

My further recommendation is to discuss with the tandem master what your learning intentions are. As a result, you may be allowed to release the drogue chute initiating deployment and be allowed to steer the parachute and flare for landing taking verbal instructions all the way. Stall characteristics can be experienced as well.

We didn't have tandem jumps back in the day, so our exposure was during actual jumps. A bit rugged but that was the only way.

Sorry I rambled on with all this but I though it would be valuable to share my experiences.

Dan

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 17:33 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
Username Protected wrote:
What a great choice Daniel!

We use CGE helmet in the Navy. Just awesome.
And that grey colour looks pretty, pretty, pretty good!

Did you get the ANR on it?

ANR is worthless in an open cockpit biplane, just straight passive electronics.

I was skeptical about the Gallet having grown up on all things HGU, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I totally love the thing. Haven't flown acro in it yet, but I'm sure it's fine. My only complaint is the inner visor is so close to my face that it doesn't go down over my glasses. I'm still problem solving that one. I only wish it was a U-174 plug for ease of exit if I ever need to.

I'm also having ot practice with the chinstrap so I can get it by feel on the first attempt. Sometimes I'll cheat and use the reflection off my iPad mini screen.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 17:37 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
I appreciate your expertise Dan, but I'm an airplane pilot, not a parachutist. While I realize my round canopy is less than optimal compared to square, it does the job it's there for - saving my life in the rare, rare occasion I might have to use it.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 18:41 

I appreciate your expertise Dan, but I'm an airplane pilot, not a parachutist. While I realize my round canopy is less than optimal compared to square, it does the job it's there for - saving my life in the rare, rare occasion I might have to use it.

Oh, I don't disagree with your position at all, like I indicated earlier I am somewhat biased. I would not say you are under prepared at all.

I would still recommend being as familiar with your emergency parachute as you can be, understanding what you are going to experience when you get opening shock. Having been through this experience once and being stunned at what I had for performance, it made quite an impression on me.

Dan

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 22:15 

Post Likes: +3908
Aircraft: Warbirds

Oh, I don't disagree with your position at all, like I indicated earlier I am somewhat biased. I would not say you are under prepared at all.

I would still recommend being as familiar with your emergency parachute as you can be, understanding what you are going to experience when you get opening shock. Having been through this experience once and being stunned at what I had for performance, it made quite an impression on me.

Dan

Ours are high speed with some tech built in to handle that.
We also use a lanyard attached to the seat with a 30’ leash.
Low level formation and Aerobatics in a P-51. Stallion 51 worked with them to develope this setup we are using.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 22:52 

Ours are high speed with some tech built in to handle that.
We also use a lanyard attached to the seat with a 30’ leash.
Low level formation and Aerobatics in a P-51. Stallion 51 worked with them to develop this setup we are using.

That's excellent and good planning, well thought out!

Dan

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7