Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Boeing E-75 Stearmans
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:35 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
Username Protected wrote:
Dan (or anyone else),
I should have mentioned this sooner. I have a pdf of the Navy Primary training manual. It was written for the Stearman. I found it very useful with a ton of great information. If you'd like a copy, shoot me a pm.
Dave

Thanks David, I’ve already got that one.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:43 

Post Likes: +1977
Company: Delta/ check o'the month club
Aircraft: 1968 Bonanza 36
Good on ya!

I flew a beautiful 220hp Stearman from MN to Louisiana a few months ago & I was cold then! haha :thumbup:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:51 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
Thanks, Jg. I'll keep trying. The GL is like a mini Stearman, with a presence all its own.

I like your Great Lakes, Tom!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 11:10 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
Dan (or anyone else),
I should have mentioned this sooner. I have a pdf of the Navy Primary training manual. It was written for the Stearman. I found it very useful with a ton of great information. If you'd like a copy, shoot me a pm.
Dave

If not already OCR’d, I can add that feature.

Doug
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Is there a way for me or you to make the manual available directly on Beechtalk? I've actually got quite a few.
Dave

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 15:57 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
Following is a link to a WWII era Aviator Flight Training Naval Stearman Video. These old WWII training films are great!
[Link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FtZ_9nPv_A[/Link]

I'm wondering about the shut down steps involving -open throttle all the way, and -move mixture to full rich.

The engine Shutdown Procedure begins at 32:25 and involves:
1. Set RPM 800-1000 - run 1 min. to cool
2. mixture - to full lean - to kill the engine
3. when prop stops turning:
a. turn mags (ignition) off
b. open throttle all the way
c. move mixture to full rich
d. close the fuel valve(s)

What does 3.b. and 3.c. above accomplish? Assuming the overall safety focus of the film, maybe it's safety related to round engines?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 18:31 

Post Likes: +13325
Aircraft: TU-104
Only a guess, but perhaps with the fuel valve closed they want the other end open for expansion or to let vapor escape?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020, 11:21 

Post Likes: +2187
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90
What does 3.b. and 3.c. above accomplish? Assuming the overall safety focus of the film, maybe it's safety related to round engines?

Purely a guess, but to keep the carburetor diagram wet?

Robert

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 22:23 

Post Likes: +1743
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
Thanks, Jg. I'll keep trying. The GL is like a mini Stearman, with a presence all its own.

I like your Great Lakes, Tom!

Thank you, Daniel.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 22:32 

Post Likes: +953
I'm really excited. The airplane belongs to my friend, so I've got a little bit of history with it. Flying acro in a stock Stearman is about as much fun as I've ever had in an airplane.

I'm finalizing my parachute decisions today. The choice is between Softies or Summit. I like what they're doing at Summit, but I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with their in-house hardware. (In defense of it, their quick release looks pretty easy.) I'm a firm believer in dressing for the jump, not the flight. Helmets, boots, quick release connecters on the legs, LPU for coastal flying.

I'd love any parachute or equipment advice you guys have.

Anybody have any experience with the folks at Big Sky? They're right down the road from me.

When I sold my Cub in 2019, I told my wife I needed a newer airplane. I wasn't lying - this one is a 1942, vs. my '40 J-3. :rofl:

As an expert parachutist and neophyte pilot (licensed but low time, not current) what exactly happens during acro that requires an emergency exit?

Are there structural failure concerns? Unrecoverable attitudes? Engine fires?

Are there documented cases of acro pilots having to bail out? If so, what were the causes? Case studies would be valuable here.

I had a friend who was an expert sailplane pilot who was giving a flight demonstration during a meet with a new glider. During one pull out, both wings sheared off and turned the fuselage into a lawn dart. He successfully exited and parachuted to a safe landing. Wowed the crowd though. Luckily he was high enough.

Some circumstances may result in G-forces making it nearly impossible to get out no matter what. This is what would worry me most.

Any thoughts on all this?

Dan

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 23:43 

Post Likes: +3434
Company: Occasionally Pleasant
Aircraft: H35, C-172
I'm really excited. The airplane belongs to my friend, so I've got a little bit of history with it. Flying acro in a stock Stearman is about as much fun as I've ever had in an airplane.

I'm finalizing my parachute decisions today. The choice is between Softies or Summit. I like what they're doing at Summit, but I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with their in-house hardware. (In defense of it, their quick release looks pretty easy.) I'm a firm believer in dressing for the jump, not the flight. Helmets, boots, quick release connecters on the legs, LPU for coastal flying.

Anybody have any experience with the folks at Big Sky? They're right down the road from me.

When I sold my Cub in 2019, I told my wife I needed a newer airplane. I wasn't lying - this one is a 1942, vs. my '40 J-3. :rofl:

As an expert parachutist and neophyte pilot (licensed but low time, not current) what exactly happens during acro that requires an emergency exit?

Are there documented cases of acro pilots having to bail out? If so, what were the causes? Case studies would be valuable here.

I had a friend who was an expert sailplane pilot who was giving a flight demonstration during a meet with a new glider. During one pull out, both wings sheared off and turned the fuselage into a lawn dart. He successfully exited and parachuted to a safe landing. Wowed the crowd though. Luckily he was high enough.

Some circumstances may result in G-forces making it nearly impossible to get out no matter what. This is what would worry me most.

Dan

A few,
Acrobatic harness

Altitude is your friend.

Protect it from sunlight and acid

Practice exiting until you can do it in the dark

The emergency parachute is useless if you dont use it. When you do, look. PULL, Pull hard.

If you can stand up straight it is not on tight enough.

Insure it to be routed correctly

Acro is hard on aircraft. Preflight like your life depends on it. It does.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 08:31 

Here's the story of a citabria pilot that had to bail out after the rear seat jammed the rear stick.

http://www.freeflightent.com/it-could-happen-to-you.php

There's been a few instances of controls getting locked by tools left in the airplane in aircraft.

Be ready to get out quickly in case of a ground fire. I know of one incident, second hand, where a Stearman caught on fire after the pilot started the engine. He couldn't get out in time.

Dan

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 10:54 

Post Likes: +2187
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90

When I brief passengers I generally say that we will exit the airplane under canopy if there is a structural failure or a fire bad enough that I can’t get the airplane to the ground safely.

What would cause a structural failure? I fly old airplanes... stuff happens. I certainly don’t think the tail would come off a T28 but it’s possible (and yes, it’s happened) and that would certainly be a case for using the silk.

Another possibility is a loss of control authority. For example the cable that runs to the trim or elevator snaps. Not sure I could land the airplane in that case, and fact something like this happened to Sean Tucker a while back and he elected to jump.

I do acro low to the ground fairly often, and I know that if something bad happens to the airframe it’s not going to be a good day for me. It’s a risk I take.

Another significant possibility is a mid air during formation. I do a lot of close formation, and also do formation acro. If we collide there’s a good chance at least one of the planes will be uncontrollable.

Here’s a great video of what can happen which would result in having to jump (and yeah, there’s a ton wrong with what the Skyraider pilot did, but outside of the scope of this convo!):

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2oJngucEac4[/youtube]

We have also briefed the use of parachutes when flying cross country over inhospitable terrain. There are places in the US where bailing out would be preferable to a forced landing. Cant find the video now, but there was a TBM (Grumman not Soccata) a few years ago that suffered an engine failure during cruise and the pilot and crew jumped to a successful conclusion.

Robert

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 13:56 

Thanks gentlemen for your responses, much appreciated!

Interesting article on the Citabria bail out. The major difficulty in getting the door off was frightening to say the least.

With open cockpits, no worries there. One drop zone I jumped at in Arizona (Eloy) had a Stearman who would hesitate at the top of a loop and let a paying jumper just slide out head first. I don't know why I didn't do it myself, there were great photos looking up at a smiling pilot with the jumpers tennis shoes in the picture.

Our club had a C150 Aerobat that had handles to pull the hinge pins for door eject in flight. My understanding is those were maintained properly (lubricated, etc.) but I don't know if they were actually removed on the ground to see if there were any issues that would prevent ejection during a bailout. This should be mandatory.

I have jumped out of a C150 with the door on but the pilot was an expert skydiver-driver and knew how to safely slow the plane down so I could push the door open and get out. Not recommended for emergencies.

I saw that video some time ago with the P-51 collision and Skyraider. Is the Skyraider pilot still living or is he hanging from a tree somewhere (just kidding of course)?

My one flight in an acro environment was in the back seat of Bob Love's P-51 out of Livermore. Hard helmets and parachutes were worn and a very detailed procedural discussion preceded the 1/2 hour flight. Being a parachutist helped here.

One thing jumps out at me when considering emergency exits as far as equipment is concerned and that is wearing a hard helmet during acro flights. Whacking a part of the airplane on exit is a serious possibility and one absolutely should have one on for ANY parachute landing. Even if you land in flat soft ground, you don't want to bounce your noggin on something hidden and hard (rock, chunk of wood, etc.).

These are my thoughts for now. I'm still interested in further thoughts on this subject although I don't want to hijack a great Stearman post!

Dan

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 08:35 

A P51 flight is still on my list. Good for you!! I have a hard helmet that I wear in the Stearman. It's a fantastic product but very expensive. I think they're about $2500 now. The helmet also has a short cord with a male fitting that plugs into a female fitting so it will unplug on it's own if you bail. The female end is connected to standard aviation plugs.

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/id2.html

My Birddog has quick release door. I don't do any aerobatics with it but I still make sure the quick release works occasionally on the ground and lubricate the pins. It only takes a few minutes. The first time I did it, it wasn't very cooperative. It had probably been a lot of years since it was last lubed.

Thanks gentlemen for your responses, much appreciated!

Interesting article on the Citabria bail out. The major difficulty in getting the door off was frightening to say the least.

With open cockpits, no worries there. One drop zone I jumped at in Arizona (Eloy) had a Stearman who would hesitate at the top of a loop and let a paying jumper just slide out head first. I don't know why I didn't do it myself, there were great photos looking up at a smiling pilot with the jumpers tennis shoes in the picture.

Our club had a C150 Aerobat that had handles to pull the hinge pins for door eject in flight. My understanding is those were maintained properly (lubricated, etc.) but I don't know if they were actually removed on the ground to see if there were any issues that would prevent ejection during a bailout. This should be mandatory.

I have jumped out of a C150 with the door on but the pilot was an expert skydiver-driver and knew how to safely slow the plane down so I could push the door open and get out. Not recommended for emergencies.

I saw that video some time ago with the P-51 collision and Skyraider. Is the Skyraider pilot still living or is he hanging from a tree somewhere (just kidding of course)?

My one flight in an acro environment was in the back seat of Bob Love's P-51 out of Livermore. Hard helmets and parachutes were worn and a very detailed procedural discussion preceded the 1/2 hour flight. Being a parachutist helped here.

One thing jumps out at me when considering emergency exits as far as equipment is concerned and that is wearing a hard helmet during acro flights. Whacking a part of the airplane on exit is a serious possibility and one absolutely should have one on for ANY parachute landing. Even if you land in flat soft ground, you don't want to bounce your noggin on something hidden and hard (rock, chunk of wood, etc.).

These are my thoughts for now. I'm still interested in further thoughts on this subject although I don't want to hijack a great Stearman post!

Dan

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 11:51 

A P51 flight is still on my list. Good for you!! I have a hard helmet that I wear in the Stearman. It's a fantastic product but very expensive. I think they're about $2500 now. The helmet also has a short cord with a male fitting that plugs into a female fitting so it will unplug on it's own if you bail. The female end is connected to standard aviation plugs.

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/id2.html

My Birddog has quick release door. I don't do any aerobatics with it but I still make sure the quick release works occasionally on the ground and lubricate the pins. It only takes a few minutes. The first time I did it, it wasn't very cooperative. It had probably been a lot of years since it was last lubed.

Wow, those are fantastic looking helmets. These look like they combine a lot of features (not only safety) that make open cockpit flying a lot more comfortable.

I am also a lifelong avid sport touring motorcyclist and helmet technologies have advanced remarkably over the past few decades in this sport. Safety and comfort (including noise reduction) are tops on every motorcyclists list.

My ride in the P-51 took place in 1986. Bob Love (as everyone probably knows) was one of the premier P-51 pilots in the country at the time. He started off with some mild aerobatics and once we got east of the airport he really tore up the place. Luckily, I had borrowed an 8mm portable video camera (not that common in those days) and recorded it all.

I've never been the same since.

Dan

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next