Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Boeing E-75 Stearmans
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 14:12 

Post Likes: +362
Aircraft: Whatever I can rent
Username Protected wrote:
Here’s my current open cockpit toy. I get 90% the feeling for 10% the money and 25% the hangar space.

Cool! That will probably just barely get you into the BT Elite club

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 14:26 

Post Likes: +2217
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90
I hate to even tell you this because you paid the full price but I found a used Campbell Aeroclassic helmet on Craigslist a few years ago for $165.00, yes that's right, $165.00.

Wow! Nice find.

Another option is Flight Helmet. Good folks:

https://www.flighthelmet.com/product/PR55-HGU55KL.html

Robert

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 16:13 

Post Likes: +1961
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
I hate to even tell you this because you paid the full price but I found a used Campbell Aeroclassic helmet on Craigslist a few years ago for $165.00, yes that's right, $165.00.

Wow! Nice find.

Another option is Flight Helmet. Good folks:

https://www.flighthelmet.com/product/PR55-HGU55KL.html

Robert

That's about half the price of the Campbell helmet.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 16:14 

Post Likes: +2966
Company: Dermatology
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
That is a steal a twice the price, Dave. :thumbup:

Helmets are a rabbit hole you can spend either a lot or a little on, depending on your appetite. On my last trip back to my folks’ place, I got in the attic and found my Dad’s helmet from the 70’s. The interior and rubber coaming was shot (and it had no electronics - ag aviators in those days didn’t have stupid things like radios and there was only you, so no need for an intercom). But the shell is good with that patina of long use. I have it back in Texas now, and I’m considering having it restored for my use in the Stearman. I’m sure there are good places out there, but I haven’t found a custom helmet shop that inspires enough confidence, yet.

I’m sure you’re curious about what it looks like, so I’ll post it on my Dad’s head in the mid 70’s with some mid-70’s crop duster odds and ends around it. :D

I used to build Helmets for this group after I sold my helmet business to them. They do a good job. https://www.flighthelmet.com/

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 16:18 

Any Stearman owners here?

I'm well into the purchasing of a 1942, 220-horse ST75.

I've got about 1000 tailwheel and ten in type and really looking forward to slowly delving into the flight envelope.

And one more thing - if it's got the old brakes get rid of them !!!! My first one had the original brakes. I kept after them and never had a problem. This one also had the old brakes :oops: :sad: . It now has Redlines.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 16:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
I tried ANR a couple of times early on, but it was pretty ineffective - whether it was the wind or the ambient noise complexity...never could get it to work. I have CEP wired for my passenger’s David Clark (in a canvas helmet) and it really helps. I have a Campbell Aeroclassics helmet (they are an outfit in New Zealand) that really blocks out the wind noise - which is a lot worse in the back cockpit. That helmet is a dream (Kevlar, classic looks, customized fit, good audio etc), but it is a financial commitment. Thankfully that check was written years ago and I don’t think about it too much anymore...ha.

I hate to even tell you this because you paid the full price but I found a used Campbell Aeroclassic helmet on Craigslist a few years ago for $165.00, yes that's right, $165.00. The guy was very specific about that price. I wasn't going to argue. For passengers, I've got a few cloth and leather helmets with DC headsets.
http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/id2.html

For a chute, I bought a fanny pack one a few years ago. I can't remember the brand.

I've got a Aero Classic as well and really like it. When you are ordering they send you a set of calipers to take several measurements of your head to get a custom fit. I think for $165 I'd have tried some extra foam pieces too! Still, even though mine cost nearly 10x that much it's well worth it. As someone once said "if you've got a cheap head buy a cheap helmet!" :D :pilot:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 16:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Any Stearman owners here?

I'm well into the purchasing of a 1942, 220-horse ST75.

I've got about 1000 tailwheel and ten in type and really looking forward to slowly delving into the flight envelope.

Not my favorite airplane. They are big, oily and slow IMO. Sluggish controls. I suggest the 300HP version. 220 is not enough and the 450 burns a lot of fuel and is heavy.

Look at Bucker Jungmanns. Solid 30-40kts faster, better controls, much smaller and more nimble. Not as much oil and mess to clean up after flying either.

Here’s my current open cockpit toy. I get 90% the feeling for 10% the money and 25% the hangar space.

Michael,

Here's what you're missing though:

- They are big, oily and slow!
- They are not small and nimble!

You get to fly them from the moment you strap in until the mags switch off. And you get to enjoy the process from the moment the hangar doors open until they roll shut. I fly a Waco but I also didn't buy it for speed. As an aside, isn't it odd that we pilots are so enamored of spending lesstime in the cockpit instead of more(that's what goin faster does to you)?

The Baby Ace is a neat airplane but it cannot replicate the rotary rumble, the sound of the wind in the wires or the sight of the lower wing fabric changing shape just before the stall. Each to his own!

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 17:45 

I've got a Aero Classic as well and really like it. When you are ordering they send you a set of calipers to take several measurements of your head to get a custom fit. I think for $165 I'd have tried some extra foam pieces too! Still, even though mine cost nearly 10x that much it's well worth it. As someone once said "if you've got a cheap head buy a cheap helmet!" :D :pilot:

Precisely, and even at $165 my helmet is still worth more than my head :peace: :clap: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 19:33 

Post Likes: +1752
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
And one more thing - if it's got the old brakes get rid of them !!!! My first one had the original brakes. I kept after them and never had a problem. This one also had the old brakes :oops: :sad: . It now has Redlines.

Already has the Redlines.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 23:27 

Post Likes: +998
I'm really excited. The airplane belongs to my friend, so I've got a little bit of history with it. Flying acro in a stock Stearman is about as much fun as I've ever had in an airplane.

I'm finalizing my parachute decisions today. The choice is between Softies or Summit. I like what they're doing at Summit, but I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with their in-house hardware. (In defense of it, their quick release looks pretty easy.) I'm a firm believer in dressing for the jump, not the flight. Helmets, boots, quick release connecters on the legs, LPU for coastal flying.

I'd love any parachute or equipment advice you guys have.

Anybody have any experience with the folks at Big Sky? They're right down the road from me.

When I sold my Cub in 2019, I told my wife I needed a newer airplane. I wasn't lying - this one is a 1942, vs. my '40 J-3. :rofl:

I would highly recommend that you become familiar with the realm of emergency exits and parachute deployment.

It is not simply a matter of exit and pull the ripcord, this needs to be managed.

I am an expert parachutist with decades of experience and I would recommend starting with a tandem jump to be familiar with what you are going to experience leaving an aircraft and deploying a parachute.

Then, one needs to put an exact plan together to manage an emergency exit. Releasing the seat belt harness, chucking the headset, clearing the aircraft, body position prior to deployment, actual deployment.

Understand what you will be exposed to under canopy. What kind of canopy control will you have (steerability). How to avoid obstacles, preparing for landing, etc. Parachute landing fall (PLF) techniques, etc.

You do not want to be subjected to mysteries even though you have just saved your life by executing a safe emergency exit.

I would recommend being very serious about this and seek expert assistance in equipment and procedures to make sure you are prepared for the event.

Just my humble opinion.

Dan

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 01:18 

Post Likes: +1778
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
Dan's advice is well-taken. I would only add that I prefer using a helicopter-style headphone cord with quick-disconnect. (mine are Dave Clarks with ANR). I feel that saves precious seconds, and allows you to exit the cockpit with the helmet in place, providing protection in case of a head strike with the tail feathers, or a less that ideal landing. The misconception many of us have is that we will land on flat ground, yet the possibility of trees, houses, and other pesky obstructions must be always be considered.

As an avowed Pitts maniac, I am trying hard to resist the purchase of an incredible Stearman with an amazing history. The R-985 does go through fuel at a pretty good clip, but the symphony of 450 unbridled horses more than makes up for the temporary discomfort at the pump.

And you will make friends everywhere you go!

Best,

TN

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 18:02 

Post Likes: +1752
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
[I would highly recommend that you become familiar with the realm of emergency exits and parachute deployment.

It is not simply a matter of exit and pull the ripcord, this needs to be managed.

I am an expert parachutist with decades of experience and I would recommend starting with a tandem jump to be familiar with what you are going to experience leaving an aircraft and deploying a parachute.

Then, one needs to put an exact plan together to manage an emergency exit. Releasing the seat belt harness, chucking the headset, clearing the aircraft, body position prior to deployment, actual deployment.

Understand what you will be exposed to under canopy. What kind of canopy control will you have (steerability). How to avoid obstacles, preparing for landing, etc. Parachute landing fall (PLF) techniques, etc.

You do not want to be subjected to mysteries even though you have just saved your life by executing a safe emergency exit.

I would recommend being very serious about this and seek expert assistance in equipment and procedures to make sure you are prepared for the event.

Just my humble opinion.

Dan

Yeah, I've given quite a bit of thought to that. You can do the whole parasail thing to practice steering, jump off picnic tables to practice PLFs and practice disengaging from your harness while your buddies are dragging you across the ground. But none of those UPT-style exercises cross the mental barrier of having jumped out of an airplane, and the confidence and familiarity that would breed.

I'm toying with the idea. My problem is I'm quite familiar with what kind of safety culture and aircraft maintenance some civilian jump schools are afflicted with.

It would have to be the right airplane and the right instructor.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 18:18 

Post Likes: +1161
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
get a good look through the paperwork and order an FAA records CD.

There are probably field approvals, STC’s and conversion from duster and back to standard to look over.

for some reason I seem to find Stearmans covered many years ago and the inspection rings are still not cut out on the wings.

Go over hardware looking for corrosion and proper parts. Find someone to check flying wire tensions. Check instrument accuracy if possible and see if the shock mounts for the instrument panel are sagging and making the skid ball off. Wing walk rib damage is often overlooked. Centersection gas leaks soaking the wood. Canvas baggage compartments are often deteriorated. Baggage falling into the aft fuselage would not be fun. Steel tubing paint should be in good shape. I have seen many covered well but poor painting on the tubing over old paint. Once it peels there is no fix.

The 300hp R-680 with constant speed 2B20 is my favorite setup. Still simple and light but much better performance on hot days with two aboard.

John Mohr was absolutely amazing flying airshows with a 220 powered bird so the performance is there somewhere.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 19:25 

Post Likes: +4872
Company: USAF Simulator Instructor
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
John Mohr was absolutely amazing flying airshows with a 220 powered bird so the performance is there somewhere.

I’ve watched John’s show many times. Either he’s the best pilot on the planet or he has discovered an anti-gravity device.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 23:26 

Post Likes: +3466
Company: Occasionally Pleasant
Aircraft: H35, C-172
While I am not familiar with the Summit emergency harness container system, I have packed hundreds of the National parachute they use in its manufacturers harness and container system. It has been around for a long time and proved to be a quality item.
The Softy uses a parachute made by the company that developed and makes the Cirrus chute. Free Flite Parachute System in Elsinore, CA. Both are quality parachutes. As a Parachute Rigger I like the Softy for ease of packing and customer support. Actually both systems are very good. However if choosing, I would buy the Softy. I have two, one with a Piglet reserve(round) and one custom with a PD square.

Last edited on 26 Nov 2020, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next