29 Mar 2024, 07:56 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Boeing E-75 Stearmans
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 08:10 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
I've never seen John Mohr fly but I've watched videos of him flying. It's amazing particularly rolling right after take off and the low sideways pass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB5nYlKd-Dg

For the baggage compartment, I don't know who makes it but my current Stearman came with a black vinyl bag with a flat bottom. There's a piece of plywood covered in vinyl that fits snugly in the bottom so the bag keeps it shape. It's much nicer than the old canvas bags.

Username Protected wrote:
get a good look through the paperwork and order an FAA records CD.

There are probably field approvals, STC’s and conversion from duster and back to standard to look over.

for some reason I seem to find Stearmans covered many years ago and the inspection rings are still not cut out on the wings.

Go over hardware looking for corrosion and proper parts. Find someone to check flying wire tensions. Check instrument accuracy if possible and see if the shock mounts for the instrument panel are sagging and making the skid ball off. Wing walk rib damage is often overlooked. Centersection gas leaks soaking the wood. Canvas baggage compartments are often deteriorated. Baggage falling into the aft fuselage would not be fun. Steel tubing paint should be in good shape. I have seen many covered well but poor painting on the tubing over old paint. Once it peels there is no fix.

The 300hp R-680 with constant speed 2B20 is my favorite setup. Still simple and light but much better performance on hot days with two aboard.

John Mohr was absolutely amazing flying airshows with a 220 powered bird so the performance is there somewhere.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 10:41 

Post Likes: +1458
Aircraft: J3, Twin Commander
John Mohr was absolutely amazing flying airshows with a 220 powered bird so the performance is there somewhere.

I’ve watched John’s show many times. Either he’s the best pilot on the planet or he has discovered an anti-gravity device.

I asked an airshow performer about this and was told that, in addition to being very good, John Mohr’s 220 was run in a way that you shouldn’t run your 220 .

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 10:51 

Here's a photo of mine when it was a duster. My other Stearman was actually a PT27, meaning it was shipped to Cananda for short time during the war. That one, like most of them, was also a duster.
https://aerialvisuals.ca/AirframePhotoV ... rial=75650

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 26 Nov 2020, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 11:24 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
While I am not familiar with the Summit emergency harness container system, I have packed hundreds of the National parachute they use in its manufacturers harness and container system. It has been around for a long time and proved to be a quality item.
The Softy uses a parachute made by the company that developed and makes the Cirrus chute. Free Flite Parachute System in Elsinore, CA. Both are quality parachutes. As a Parachute Rigger I like the Softy for ease of packing and customer support. Actually both systems are very good. However if choosing, I would buy the Softy. I have twoxone round and one custom with a square.

Thanks, Bob.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 11:48 

For the baggage compartment, I don't know who makes it but my current Stearman came with a black vinyl bag with a flat bottom. There's a piece of plywood covered in vinyl that fits snugly in the bottom so the bag keeps it shape. It's much nicer than the old canvas bags.

You wouldn't happen to have have a picture of that, would you?

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 13:09 

You wouldn't happen to have have a picture of that, would you?

I don't and I won't be able to get one until next week. I just found this online.
http://www.stearman181.net/catalog/prod ... ucts_id/44

It's similar to mine.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020, 09:44 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
"Mark Jensen said""
I asked an airshow performer about this and was told that, in addition to being very good, John Mohr’s 220 was run in a way that you shouldn’t run your 220 .[/quote]

Taking nothing from the performance which is impressive, anyone who has ever flown a 220 Stearman would look at that video and know full well that the airplane is producing significantly more than rated horsepower.

Jg

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020, 10:29 

Post Likes: +12360
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,

Taking nothing from the performance which is impressive, anyone who has ever flown a 220 Stearman would look at that video and know full well that the airplane is producing significantly more than rated horsepower.

Jg

Suggested edit, "listen to it."

It has has no starter. A tiny battery, thin paint, he buys tires based on which brand weighs the least. It is probably the lightest Stearman that ever flew, in the hands of the finest Stearman pilot that ever lived. And maybe without the Stearman qualification. He truly is a peer of Hoover.

Honored to call him a friend.

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020, 11:37 

Post Likes: +1743
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
And a gentleman, through and through.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 09:17 

While the Stearman was getting its annual, I asked the mechanics to install the metal rib along the wing walk and the metal plate at its base. This wing walk isn't quite correct. The right side shouldn't go over to the fuselage, it should run parallel with the outside edge. It was already painted on when I got the plane so until it gets recovered, it stays that way. That metal plate at the bottom really helps protect the trailing edge wood. I always step past the trailing edge but sometimes passengers step right into it.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 10:20 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
David,

The picture of your wing walk reminds me of an incident I had with a Starduster Too I once owned. It was a beautiful and delightful aircraft to fly. I was invited to a fly in at an airport a thirty minute flight from Grenada. I arrived to find a big turnout of airplanes and of local no-aviation observers. Someone had invited the Sunday School classes of a couple of churches teen members, and "we" were expected to do our share of providing rides.

There wasn't much order from the onset, and I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach at the thought. I agree to take two riders. The first was a quiet, meek little lady of about 16 and all went well. The second was Testosterone Joe taking his first ride but strutting around like he was Bob Hoover's grandson or something. He paid no attention to anything I said so even getting him in the airplane and buckled up was something of an ordeal with all his bravado hand signaling to the onlooking crowd.

In flight all went well but I kept a death grip on the stick just knowing his hands were inches from the one in the front cockpit.

With landing, all the hand signaling began again as we taxied up and shut down. When I opened the canopy, he had already unbuckled. He immediately jumped up in the seat and took another flying jump to land about four feet past the wing walk on the left wing with one foot and then to the ground. How he did not break a rib or go through the ceconite covering is a mystery to me to this day.

To top it off, the BBQ brisket made me so sick I spent two days in the hospital and missed my son's first high school touchdown.

Jg

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 18:46 

Missing that first TD stinks!!

David,

The picture of your wing walk reminds me of an incident I had with a Starduster Too I once owned. It was a beautiful and delightful aircraft to fly. I was invited to a fly in at an airport a thirty minute flight from Grenada. I arrived to find a big turnout of airplanes and of local no-aviation observers. Someone had invited the Sunday School classes of a couple of churches teen members, and "we" were expected to do our share of providing rides.

There wasn't much order from the onset, and I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach at the thought. I agree to take two riders. The first was a quiet, meek little lady of about 16 and all went well. The second was Testosterone Joe taking his first ride but strutting around like he was Bob Hoover's grandson or something. He paid no attention to anything I said so even getting him in the airplane and buckled up was something of an ordeal with all his bravado hand signaling to the onlooking crowd.

In flight all went well but I kept a death grip on the stick just knowing his hands were inches from the one in the front cockpit.

With landing, all the hand signaling began again as we taxied up and shut down. When I opened the canopy, he had already unbuckled. He immediately jumped up in the seat and took another flying jump to land about four feet past the wing walk on the left wing with one foot and then to the ground. How he did not break a rib or go through the ceconite covering is a mystery to me to this day.

To top it off, the BBQ brisket made me so sick I spent two days in the hospital and missed my son's first high school touchdown.

Jg

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 20:20 

Post Likes: +4872
Company: USAF Simulator Instructor
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
Wood and ceconite, properly done, can be amazingly strong. Allegedly, Bellanca salesmen kept a shotput handy so they bounce it off the tail surfaces to show customers how strong it was.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 15:00 

Closed on the airplane yesterday! Honored to be a caretaker of an amazing piece of aviation history. Tickled pink to be an airplane owner again.

Headed down to LA to fly it home. Hope I don’t freeze to death.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 07:32 

Closed on the airplane yesterday! Honored to be a caretaker of an amazing piece of aviation history. Tickled pink to be an airplane owner again.

Headed down to LA to fly it home. Hope I don’t freeze to death.

Wow!! Looks great. Bundle up.

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next