28 Mar 2024, 10:33 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Considering a Meridian
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2024, 21:33 

Post Likes: +334
Aircraft: Bonanza - 1997 A36TN
In the past I didn't consider a Meridian because my flights were from northern Pennsylvania to south Florida and the Meridian was borderline to make that trip non stop. In my Bonanza I did it non stop 90% of the time - so there was no real time advantage if you added the time for the fuel stop. The M600 was perfect but beyond my price range. My mission has changed and I now work in KY so the trip to FL or NJ is easily doable in the Meridian so I am thinking strongly of upgrading to one. There are a bunch of them for sale in KY with Airmart. So I have a few questions.

Who is a good contact for a prebuy if one of those planes look promising?

I saw all these planes on Controller and I know members here have nothing good to say about the web site. Is there anyone else you guys would recommend to find me a good plane. (My mechanic on my C182 found my Bonanza for me but I don't think he deals much with TPs).

One of the planes was based at my airport so I got a lead on this one from the FBO there. It did have some wing damage from it falling off a jack (? when they did a gear retraction at the annual). It had partial damage to a rib. It was repaired my Midwest Malibu Center. Is this a good and reliable shop? Is this an aircraft that I should consider? According to the FBO staff the seller is motivated to sell.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Considering a Meridian
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2024, 21:39 

Another Meridian is RVSM certified. How useful is this in a Meridian with a service ceiling of FL300? Is the extra 2000 ft a big deal or only marginally useful in a Meridian?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2024, 21:43 

Post Likes: +2500
Company: Gee Bee Aeroproducts
Aircraft: hang glider
Kevin Mead

Mead aircraft service

My cousin had one when they were released, moved up to
Tbm 700 C2

Six years now in a Mustang also

Good Luck

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2024, 22:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
How useful is this in a Meridian with a service ceiling of FL300? Is the extra 2000 ft a big deal or only marginally useful in a Meridian?

If you have tailwinds, going higher is better but you already have extended range you probably don't need.

If you have headwinds, the winds generally increase with altitude such that those 2000 ft probably net you little range increase. The extra time in the climb and the higher headwinds cancel the benefit for the most part.

If you have still air, those extra 2000 ft make maybe a 3% difference in range. I've rarely flown in still air at those altitudes. In fact, I rarely see under 30 knots at those altitudes.

While it looks good on paper, the cost to maintain RVSM for those 2000 ft is generally wasted, IMO.

My assessment comes from modeling a 441 Conquest II which had higher ceilings (FL350) and was faster, so the results for the Meridian will be even worse. he 441 RVSM cost benefit ratio was fairly small.

For my present machine, the Citation, RVSM is a major win!

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2024, 22:37 

Post Likes: +1687
Aircraft: T210M
Another Meridian is RVSM certified. How useful is this in a Meridian with a service ceiling of FL300? Is the extra 2000 ft a big deal or only marginally useful in a Meridian?

Gary, if you search there are many exhaustive (literally) threads on the topic.

That said, this is not an airplane the typical pilot should buy without professional assistance. I agree Kevin Meade or Joe Casey should be your next call.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 00:54 

Post Likes: +1203
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
I agree with the others. Get a pro. I would highly recommend Chad at Malibu Aerospace. He maintains and know a lot about the PA-46 in all trims.

Mike

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 08:30 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1857
Company: Jcrane, Inc.
Aircraft: C441, RV7A

What's the cabin altitude and climb rate at FL300? If those are both feasible, if only for a short time to get over a weather system, it would be worth it to me.

The 421 service ceiling is 270 and I sometimes wished for 290 (not feasible in that plane).

The 441 service ceiling is 350, but 370 would sure be nice now and then! It's still climbing 1,000fpm at 350, but the cabin alt would be pretty high.

Point is, if it will do it, it's a nice tool to have in the bag.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 09:00 

Post Likes: +3575
Aircraft: Piper M600
Just to answer some of those questions:

Midwest Malibu is an excellent shop. All the names mentioned, Kevin Meade, Joe Casey, Chad Menne are all well accepted experts in the arena. If you can get a Pre-buy from Kevin, he is the Malibu whisperer.

The plane climbs like a homesick Angel to FL300, but the cabin altitude gets up to around 10,600 at that altitude. Living in the mountains, not an issue for me, it is lower than places I recreate up here. But for a flat lander, could be an issue. Some use oxygen up there, and a FAA certified concentrator, like Inogen is good. Most have 110V plugs in the cabin so no need to mess with batteries. That said, I only use FL300 to top severe weather (convection). At 300, you will often get peeks at the weather around, and being able to visually confirm, what your radar is telling you is comforting. Otherwise my typical altitude is FL260 westbound and FL270 eastbound. The plane climbs 1500-1000 fpm to those altitudes and descends easily at 1500-2000 fpm, so even on short 150 nm trips I usually go into the flight levels. Smooth air and above turbulence and weather. Maintenance on keeping the RVSM up to date is trivial. Most of it is already covered in the IFR check.

Surprised that you are finding airframes for sale. Prepared to be disappointed, most are probably not really for sale or have some history. But a good plane with a good pre-buy is obtainable. I have almost never met anybody that was disappointed in the Meridian. It does everything that it is advertised to do. The only people I see move out if it, don’t move out because it doesn’t do to what it is advertised to do, but once they realize how the world opens up with a turbine aircraft, less hassle, more performance, less concern for weather, they will sometimes upgrade for more range, payload or speed.

If the plane does your range and payload mission, it is hard to beat. Outside of the Jetprop it is the cheapest modern currently produced turbine to acquire and operate. Very reliable, and in most cases will not require service between annuals, unless your perishables like tires, brakes, ignitors, beta block are off cycle. But all those items are aviation cheap on a Meridian, and you can get them on cycle with little things like replacing a mid time tire at annual, instead of getting max use out of the tire. We have found on our M600 that scheduling service every 200 hours is optimum. Usually can avoid unscheduled service with that utilization.

This was a strong convective system with tops to 450. Here at FL300, you can see where the towers are. This is an M600, but similar. If you can’t make out the numbers, it is traveling 262 KTAS on 240 pph (35.8 gph) with a cabin altitude of 10,670. The Meridian has similar performance, burning a little less fuel (3 gph less per my app at same normal cruise settings).

Attachment:
IMG_1692.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 09:43 

Post Likes: +149
Aircraft: G36
Buy the most capable, updated plane you can afford. You won’t miss the money. Smiles per mile.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 10:22 

Post Likes: +660
I've said it all on here before, so I won't repeat myself, I'll just reiterate that I love my Meridian. RVSM doesn't pencil out economically (the fuel savings will never exceed the costs), but it sure is nice to have when trying to max out the range or top weather. I wear a cannula above FL250 anyway so the extra cabin altitude doesn't bother me. No regrets purchasing the RVSM STC.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 22:58 

Thanks for the advice. A number of the aircraft I saw on Controller were actually listed by Mead. I will give him a call. I'll also ask him about trade-ins. It seems he only lists the Mirage /Meridian line so he may not be interested in that. Doing a trade in can save some sales tax in a number of states - they only charge the net cost - but it has to be at the same time as the purchase.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 23:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9073
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
I agree with the others. Get a pro. I would highly recommend Chad at Malibu Aerospace. He maintains and know a lot about the PA-46 in all trims.

Mike

+1 this should be your first call

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2024, 00:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +474
Company: Benjamin Law Firm
Aircraft: Meridian
Gary,
I moved from a A36TN in Nov 21 to the Meridian. I love it. I do miss the A36 as it had more range, was cheaper and when the meridian is run at 800lbs torque for range only about 35kts faster than the A36, but pressurization, ceiling and the PT6 all make it worth it.

Meridian's/ M500's come in 4 flavors (avionics) I believe. The airframe post serial number 170 or so are almost all identical. Someone will point out the minor differences, but I believe they're minor. I have SN81, and as an example, it did not have a fuel temp probe when I bought it. I had one put in, fuel temp limit is -34 and without the probe you're supposed to go with OAT, which is almost all the time that or colder at FL280.

2001-2003- Meggits panel pic attached. I probably have one of the last all meggit birds. I personally like it. It goes fast, does so reasonably cheap etc.

2004-2008- Avidyne avionics

2009-2015? and then later are all G1000 avionics, someone can chime in with what is and not NXI eligible.

Last flavor of avionics is upgrades- G500/600 panels are all the rage and look to be very nice, figure $150k plus.

So you're pretty much looking at TAFT, Engine time, interior/exterior and avionics. Hot Sections HSIs are due at 1800/ 3600. OH is optional for pt 91 at 3600. I'm 100 hours away and will do HSI and continue.

Things to love about plane, performance, climb, easy to handle, lands nice. Things I hate, useful load and range.
My plane has the STC for the higher gross weight (if they have VGs). My take off weight 5092, empty is 3525. It holds best case scenario 1140 lbs of fuel= 427 lbs of stuff to include me.
Plan on landing with 300 lbs of fuel and you can see you do not have much to play with. That's why I fly sometimes at 800lbs. For example today that's the only way to theoretically possible to go from KHOU to KDNA. Winds almost prohibit that time in the winter many times. Foreflight has good profiles and the app is in IOS App Store called Torque.

I see the plane you mentioned with RVSM at Meade's, interesting, that's an Avidyne bird and has the 1500 AP. I have never used that one, but its well liked. As I mentioned above, you're not required to OH at 3600 and it appears this person didn't do that, but flying this plane commits you to that limited set of buyers that are people like me. More and more Meridians are getting close and passing the 3600 mark so I think the stigma will lessen. Not to mention that this is the same engine off of a KA200 that people do this with all the time.

Join MMOPA and jump in the waters warm.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2024, 08:43 

Post Likes: +3575
Aircraft: Piper M600
On the avionics, 2015 brought in the M500. M-series refers to aircraft in the PA46 line with things like envelope protection, airspeed protection, hypoxia descent, and computerized cabin pressurization etc. The M500 also got an updated G1000 which is not really Nxi, but with more processing power to handle the new bells and whistles.

The M350 and M600 have hypoxia descent, but the M500 did not get that, presumably, because without autothrottle, if you descended at cruise power you would over torque and over speed. So the plane would not descend. Notwithstanding, the Meridian has several levels of hypoxia protection, with very robust visual and auditory CAS messages. And even if you forget to turn on the bleeds and forget to turn on the environmental system, about 12,500 emergency pressurization will kick in through a separate bleed circuit and automatically pressurize the cabin. If the outflow valves fail, and the cabin altitude exceeds ?14,000 a solenoid will shut those valves independent of the regulators to preserve cabin altitude. There has never been a pressurization related accident in a PA46. Very simple very reliable system.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2024, 07:10 

I'll be looking at a Meridian based in Florida next week. Any recommendations for a pre buy. I know you've given some names , but none are anywhere near Florida. I'll be calling some of them after I see the plane, but is there anyone closer in case they don't want to travel or the seller is not willing to fly the plane to them?

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next