banner
banner

27 Apr 2024, 11:19 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: The Piper Aztec/Apache thread
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2023, 20:45 

Post Likes: +624
Aircraft: C180
That’s awesome info. Gold right there.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2023, 09:38 

Post Likes: +108
Aircraft: Mooney M20M Bravo
Username Protected wrote:
Gents,
I'm looking for a thorough pre-buy checklist. Thanks in advance.

v/r
joe

You going to do it yourself or have a shop?

Step one is maintenance manual, step two is probably making sure they have a hydraulic mule to test the power pak functionality, airframe and AD inspection is pretty normal but the power pack is expensive and a PITA to get in and out, need the proper equipment to test it unless you’re going to remove the pump and try to run the pump with a power tool. Not on my plane for a pre buy.

I'm an A&P but I will not be performing the inspection. Thanks for your comments!!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2023, 09:38 

Gents,

v/r
joe

Step one is maintenance manual, step two is probably making sure they have a hydraulic mule to test the power pak functionality, airframe and AD inspection is pretty normal but the power pack is expensive and a PITA to get in and out, need the proper equipment to test it unless you’re going to remove the pump and try to run the pump with a power tool. Not on my plane for a pre buy.

I'm an A&P but I will not be performing the inspection. Thanks for your comments!!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2023, 09:39 

Gents,

v/r
joe

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2023, 20:15 

Post Likes: +667
Aircraft: PA23-250
[/quote]

I'm an A&P but I will not be performing the inspection. Thanks for your comments!![/quote]

There are a only a handful of highly experienced Aztec A&P's, who are also owners and/or CFI's, seek one out for the pre-buy. You can find some through the Piper Apache Club.

https://www.piperapacheclub.com/

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2023, 14:56 

-check nose gear trunnion for broken or cracked turn stops from exceeding turn limits while towing. If stops are broken check for twist in steering T bar mounted to aft side of trunnion
-you can inspect the two prone areas of the steel frame for rust without pulling the entire interior. Start with removing the large panel behind the nose gear. The areas beneath the door and the emergency exit and the aft lower fittings where the empennage attaches need to be looked at closely.
-check the gear and drag braces for free play while on jacks.
-check gear actuators for pitting, corrosion on housings and for leaks
-check all flex hoses-there are lots of them
-check fuel selectors for clean shut offs and detents if Dukes-Pricy
-function test check crossfeed valve and drain-getting hard to find
-plan on new fuel caps unless it is an F
-you can check powerpak and gear flap functions pretty well with the onboard hand pump. Retract the gear and make sure selector returns to neutral position w/hand pump (same on extension). Check the gear door rigging and leave gear retracted for an extended period. If it sags down then you likely have a powerpak issue or an internal leak in an actuator
-check exhaust for cracks and frozen slip joints-especially crossover connection in front. If the the tail pipe hangar is broken, or slip joints are not free cracks to the stacks will follow.
-check oil cooler mounting-usually repairs on top of repairs unless upgraded to high capacity later system that takes the cooler of of the left rear baffle
-Check fiberglass nose cowls and integrity of connection to bottom cowls
-check AD compliance on flap fittings-commonly pencil whipped
-airframes seldom have any internal corrosion issues.
-good idea to make sure emergency exit can be easily removed-commonly stuck closed.
-check for later style X braced engine mounts that do away with repetitive inspection AD.
-check for cracked engine exhaust ports
-check for sagging lord mounts. Spinners should line up with nose cowls
-check overall condition of baffles and seals-important on an Aztec
-inspect spinners and bulkheads for cracks
-check hydraulic pump for fluid coming out of seal drain hose
-function check heater and check for AD compliance
-on test flight, before extending the gear select gear up. If you feel a bump then the gear was sagging down. The handle should immediately return to neutral with no bump or delay.
-select gear and flaps down simultaneously to ensure gear priority valve is functional. Gear should lock down and handle return to neutral before flaps start down. Can be done in flight or on jacks)
-look at the upper attachment points on the main gear actuators. The sometimes bend from hard landings.
Look at the attach points on the drag brace A frames in the main wheel wells. The holes get elongated and the attach flanges can crack

Would help to know what year model, TTSN and if Turbo or not

Thanks for the detailed response. Great information!
Two AC- NA D-9k and NA C 7k. Both high time airframes. I don't have the times with me but around 8k. Thanks again and sorry for the delayed response. I've been away from my desk the last couple of days.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2023, 17:46 

Post Likes: +1165
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
If the floor panels are removed I have found very pitted steel tubing over most of the floor. It's not visible from underneath other than maybe a very thin rust line where the tubes meet the insulation. Moisture appears to be trapped between the plastic covering for the floor fiberglass insulation and the steel tubes.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2023, 12:52 

Post Likes: +2408
Company: retired corporate mostly
Aircraft: 1956 Champion 7EC
Quote:
IMO, step one, remove the interior side panels. The windows leak and the steel tubing below them gets rusty. Many airframes have been totaled that way. Cross that off the list before spending money checking anything else.

Ain't that the truth. I took an Aztec that had lived on tie down in South Carolina to CDW, NJ for a pre buy, I was there when they took off the panels, the insulation was wet like a sponge. I wonder how much weight there was with all that water.

soloed in a land of Superhomers/1959 Cessna 150, retired with Proline 21/ CJ4.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2024, 00:21 

Post Likes: +151

Dude less than 5 minutes. I bet you can do 4 bikes and 4 riders that way. This is most of a reason I bought my Aztec. Top of bench seat pushes forward from rear baggage finagle and wiggle it up and forward turn it sideways pass it out back door. Bottom is two bolts. Pull it forward and twist it sideways pass it out back door. I think there are small kayaks that would fit in there with 2nd and 3rd rows out.

Can you fit full size bikes through the baggage door of an Aztec? I have a few hours in a C model and I seem to recall it wasn't that big, but it's been a few years.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2024, 00:32 

Post Likes: +5739
Aircraft: E33/152A

Dude less than 5 minutes. I bet you can do 4 bikes and 4 riders that way. This is most of a reason I bought my Aztec. Top of bench seat pushes forward from rear baggage finagle and wiggle it up and forward turn it sideways pass it out back door. Bottom is two bolts. Pull it forward and twist it sideways pass it out back door. I think there are small kayaks that would fit in there with 2nd and 3rd rows out.

Can you fit full size bikes through the baggage door of an Aztec? I have a few hours in a C model and I seem to recall it wasn't that big, but it's been a few years.

Not an early C. They have a smaller square door carried over from the B along with a higher floor. The 66 and newer ones use the larger door like the D, E & F models. The 60 & 61 models have an Apache door and only five seats. The baggage compartment is where the sixth seat would be. Should fit full size bikes with rear bench seat removed on the larger door models.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2024, 02:25 

Update to this, I am much faster taking the bottom of the bench seat out the front door. Top of bench goes out the rear door as stated in previous post.

My standard configuration is rear bench and 1 middle row seat. When rear bench needs to come out simple to take it out front door and install the 2nd middle row seat.

4 adults 4 full size bikes plus weekend bags. All seats face forward, very comfy.

If the mission is 6 passengers then I can quickly install the middle row seat in <5min also.

Still love our truck.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 22:04 

Post Likes: +151

4 adults 4 full size bikes plus weekend bags. All seats face forward, very comfy.

How do you get the bikes in? Through the baggage door or through the cabin door?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2024, 00:35 

Baggage door. Quick release wheels, seat posts drop down. 4 bikes was 2 road bikes and 2 29er Mtb one hard tail and one FS. Road bikes with drop bars fit best, compact frames and handlebars. 4 wheels in back 4 wheels in nose baggage.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 23:03 

Aztec made the gfc 600 list!

Attachment:
IMG_2448.png

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 23:36 

Post Likes: +667
Aircraft: PA23-250
Aztec made the gfc 600 list!

Attachment:
IMG_2448.png

How much will it cost? That's the very first question I get from owners, and when they find out the cost, they generally are happy to spend less than 20 percent of the new autopilot cost, to overhaul their existing autopilot.

Now let's see how many owners will pony up more than $30K installed.

Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next