24 Apr 2024, 00:00 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: 421 Windshield
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 10:25 

Post Likes: +397
Aircraft: C680, B350 421C PA28
Quick question fellas... in my "Find Stewart a nice 421 quest", I came across a new listing of what looks like a very nice 421B. I have spoken to the seller and the biggest head scratcher he told me was that it was at some point “converted” to an electric windshield (I didn’t know that you could convert alcohol to electric) but that it doesn’t actually work. He said that there are wires going to the windshield but they don’t pull any power and he can’t see any of the fine wire heating elements inside the glass like you can see in electric windshields. There is power at the wires, there is just nowhere for the power to go since there are no elements in the glass. There is also a PPG sticker on the windshield that doesn’t have a date on it. It almost seems as if someone put in a windshield to make it look like a heated one, but not an actual heated one. I can’t fathom how that would even be possible or why, but that is what was relayed to me....

So essentially, there is a windshield that has wires going to it but isn’t heated, and there is no spray bar for alcohol so that isn’t an option either. Did they in fact make a legit conversion to switch the alcohol windshield to electric? What is the cost on replacing it with a new electric one? I know it is stupid expensive for what it is and have heard $20k-$40k but have never seen a firm price. Here is a link to the plane in question:

https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... essna-421b

Post subject: Re: 421 Windshield
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 11:56 

Post Likes: +2220
Username Protected wrote:
Quick question fellas... in my "Find Stewart a nice 421 quest", I came across a new listing of what looks like a very nice 421B. I have spoken to the seller and the biggest head scratcher he told me was that it was at some point “converted” to an electric windshield (I didn’t know that you could convert alcohol to electric) but that it doesn’t actually work. He said that there are wires going to the windshield but they don’t pull any power and he can’t see any of the fine wire heating elements inside the glass like you can see in electric windshields. There is power at the wires, there is just nowhere for the power to go since there are no elements in the glass. There is also a PPG sticker on the windshield that doesn’t have a date on it. It almost seems as if someone put in a windshield to make it look like a heated one, but not an actual heated one. I can’t fathom how that would even be possible or why, but that is what was relayed to me....

So essentially, there is a windshield that has wires going to it but isn’t heated, and there is no spray bar for alcohol so that isn’t an option either. Did they in fact make a legit conversion to switch the alcohol windshield to electric? What is the cost on replacing it with a new electric one? I know it is stupid expensive for what it is and have heard $20k-$40k but have never seen a firm price. Here is a link to the plane in question:

The other potential issue is the R-STOL. I don’t think they’re making parts anymore so if something breaks it may be difficult (time consuming) to repair. I had r-stol on my ‘79 340 and loved it, but I always worried about fixing anything related to the Robertson mod.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 12:20 

The other potential issue is the R-STOL. I don’t think they’re making parts anymore so if something breaks it may be difficult (time consuming) to repair. I had r-stol on my ‘79 340 and loved it, but I always worried about fixing anything related to the Robertson mod.

Ahh good catch

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 12:27 

Post Likes: +1394
Aircraft: C501
Stewart, if you haven't already signed up the Twin Cessna Flyer forum it's almost mandatory if you own a twin Cessna. Small BT if you will.

I'm sure that somebody there will a) be able to identify the windshield and b) recommend a prebuy shop.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 15:23 

Post Likes: +602
Company: Docking Drawer
Aircraft: C425
$30k for the windshield and about $10k to install. It's a huge job. Most of the avionics have to come out in order to expose the fasteners around the windshield.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 15:43 

Stewart, if you haven't already signed up the Twin Cessna Flyer forum it's almost mandatory if you own a twin Cessna. Small BT if you will.

I'm sure that somebody there will a) be able to identify the windshield and b) recommend a prebuy shop.

Yessir I am a member of Twin Cessna as well and presented the same question. Upon further review, I’m going to pass. Looks like it has had two runway excursions through the snow and one resulted in “substantial” damage. There are just too many airplanes on the market right now and for the same price point I should be able to find a nice C model, which is what I would prefer.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 17:27 

Post Likes: +1161
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
A couple other tidbits if your looking at B models.

I think this is correct but double check.

Earlier than 1975 no known icing approval

No spoilers can be installed with Robertson STOL .

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 18:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +225
Company: Parker Flight Training
Aircraft: 2018 Other
Stewart, If you need a good Cessna pre-buy shop in the DFW area, call Juan Oviedo at DFW Aero Mechanix - https://www.dfwaero.com/

KGTU (Georgetown, TX)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 22:03 

Post Likes: +2220
Stewart, If you need a good Cessna pre-buy shop in the DFW area, call Juan Oviedo at DFW Aero Mechanix - https://www.dfwaero.com/

Agree

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]