Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: PA46 Malibu windshield replacement
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 09:30 

Post Likes: +2249
Company: Retired
Aircraft: '76 A36 TAT TN 550
The Malibu is one of the very few airplanes that could get me out of my TAT TN 550 powered A36 Bonanza. I like them that much, but pressurization has a lot to do with that.

I’ve flown one of the new M350’s; wonderful aircraft.

Regarding the windshield, were I to buy a Malibu I would just budget to replace the hot plate windshield with the newer glass style. No, it’s not cheap but I place a significant premium on visibility. I’m guessing it works better in ice as well.

But since a Malibu won’t fit into my hangar I don’t have to worry about these thoughts....

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 00:47 

Post Likes: +27
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
Username Protected wrote:
The Malibu is one of the very few airplanes that could get me out of my TAT TN 550 powered A36 Bonanza. I like them that much, but pressurization has a lot to do with that.

I’ve flown one of the new M350’s; wonderful aircraft.

Regarding the windshield, were I to buy a Malibu I would just budget to replace the hot plate windshield with the newer glass style. No, it’s not cheap but I place a significant premium on visibility. I’m guessing it works better in ice as well.

But since a Malibu won’t fit into my hangar I don’t have to worry about these thoughts....

I’m looking to move up from an older Vtail which I enjoy immensely, but the family hauling mission has changed and the Boss has a strong preference for pressurization and A/C. I also don’t own a hangar, which removes that obstacle. :peace:

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 14:44 

Post Likes: +46
Company: Baron Partners, Inc
Aircraft: CE-510 & T34B.
I've been out of the PA46 world for awhile but when I replaced the pilot and co pilot windows (co pilot side is still plastic) the bill was right at $35k.

The pilot side glass is infamous for a short life span. I recall running the numbers and it was something along the lines of $1,000 per hour to run it. Absolutely horrendous in my book.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 14:54 

Post Likes: +258
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36TC
I've been out of the PA46 world for awhile but when I replaced the pilot and co pilot windows (co pilot side is still plastic) the bill was right at $35k.

The pilot side glass is infamous for a short life span. I recall running the numbers and it was something along the lines of $1,000 per hour to run it. Absolutely horrendous in my book.

? it only lasts 30 hours?
I think your math must be off

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 20:38 

Post Likes: +1261
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P

Mine is still original from 1984 is in excellent shape and the hot plate is works great I did look at one when buying mine it had the PPG upgrade to glass, but the heating element failed and they put the hot plate back on. That would suck. I am going to question your math on the $1000 per hour to operate a windshield. I generally don’t think the Malibu/mirage have a worse window than other pressurized planes. They are all expensive to replace.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 07:44 

Post Likes: +712
Aircraft: Malibu,Husky,TBM7C2

I think Mike could be correct regarding the actual cost of operating the heated windshield. I have about 800 Malibu/Mirage hours and have probably used the heated windshield two total hours the entire time. Generally you do not turn it on unless you have encountered or are anticipating encountering ICE. If you are in ICE in a piston PA46 I suggest you exit promptly. Performance degrades quickly.

Under these circumstances the windshield could last the life of the plane. I think testing it on ground is the greatest threat to windshield life. I am not saying they are not fragile, they are.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 10:59 

Post Likes: +1261
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P

I think Mike could be correct regarding the actual cost of operating the heated windshield. I have about 800 Malibu/Mirage hours and have probably used the heated windshield two total hours the entire time. Generally you do not turn it on unless you have encountered or are anticipating encountering ICE. If you are in ICE in a piston PA46 I suggest you exit promptly. Performance degrades quickly.

Under these circumstances the windshield could last the life of the plane. I think testing it on ground is the greatest threat to windshield life. I am not saying they are not fragile, they are.

Paul,
Okay, that makes sense. When I test my heated pad on the ground I only leave it on ten seconds. In two years of flying I haven’t used it once.
Kevin

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 11:50 

Post Likes: +365
Aircraft: Piper Mirage
Heated windshield should not be run above -1°C If I recall correctly per the manufacturer.

Also, I have used my windshield for about 10 min in over 150 hours. Usually you don’t need it at altitude or for the whole flight. Likely just use it to get through a layer. See the attached supplement from a POH for the -350P

Val

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 12:19 

Post Likes: +46
Company: Baron Partners, Inc
Aircraft: CE-510 & T34B.

? it only lasts 30 hours?
I think your math must be off

Tim -

My numbers are accurate. Life spans do vary but if you talk to any PA46 shop they will tell you the service life on the PPG window is abysmal. I think MMOPA is working on an alternative supply source which would be a welcome addition.

Mike

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 14:16 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3687
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
The windshield replacement cost and frequency was one of the things that convinced me to go with a TBM

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 15:51 

The windshield replacement cost and frequency was one of the things that convinced me to go with a TBM

Yes, parts are so much cheaper on a TBM. :D

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 17:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3687
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2

Yes, parts are so much cheaper on a TBM. :D

Certainly the reputation, and probably true that a lot of TBM parts are higher than the competition. But a lot of parts are cheaper. The windshields in particular are significantly cheaper (and last much longer).

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 19:38 

Post Likes: +1950
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
Years ago one of the attorneys I got to fly with had a Malibu and the Bruce’s cover was fantastic. We had a commercial laundry in Huntington that could wash it. They also had a cookie shop next door. He would let us fly with him if we took the cover to get it cleaned and stayed with it to bring it back to the plane. He also gave us enough for a hot dog and cookie after we paid for the cover.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 20:55 

"Certainly the reputation, and probably true that a lot of TBM parts are higher than the competition. But a lot of parts are cheaper. The windshields in particular are significantly cheaper (and last much longer)."

Just messing.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 23:54 

Post Likes: +3603
Aircraft: Piper M600
My thought is that the reported short life span of the heated windscreen may be because people don’t turn them on. The windows expand and shrink with pressure cycles. The filaments can break with these expansion contraction cycles. Warm filaments will be more flexible than cold filaments, and less likely to fatigue. We have run all of ours continuously and never lost an amp on the windscreen. Our M600 has a little over 600 hrs and Pulls new amps (20) on low. Additionally the new ones are computer controlled to maintain iirc 90 degrees, so you can turn them on any time, even on the ground and they will temp regulate. They are just PPG windscreens like in 737s, pilatus and King Airs. Haven’t seen a problem running them all the time.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next