01 May 2024, 21:11 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Garmin International (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Gamebird. Just Wow!
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 07:48 

Post Likes: +29
Aircraft: TBM960, XCub, Zlin N
I’m not sure what kind of Extra you were flying, but I can’t see how you could call them suburbans. I had a 330LX for a couple years and in no way would I consider it a plane for sight seeing and cruising around, unless you do it inverted. Visibility is not great. I used to enter the pattern when it was clear of traffic at about 170 ias for better visibility, and slip most of my way on final so I could see. You cross the fence at 90kts. Rudder, even in a 20kt cross wind requires only a little pressure, and minimal deflection. Ailerons are the same. I replaced it with an XCub that I use for just tooling around, as I got tired of practicing the the same maneuvers. Extras are great planes, and fun to fly, but not sightseeing taildraggees.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 08:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1804
Aircraft: D50E Twin Bonanza
Username Protected wrote:
I’m not sure what kind of Extra you were flying, but I can’t see how you could call them suburbans. I had a 330LX for a couple years and in no way would I consider it a plane for sight seeing and cruising around, unless you do it inverted. Visibility is not great. I used to enter the pattern when it was clear of traffic at about 170 ias for better visibility, and slip most of my way on final so I could see. You cross the fence at 90kts. Rudder, even in a 20kt cross wind requires only a little pressure, and minimal deflection. Ailerons are the same. I replaced it with an XCub that I use for just tooling around, as I got tired of practicing the the same maneuvers. Extras are great planes, and fun to fly, but not sightseeing taildraggees.

I think you took that a little too literally. He just meant that the gamebird is more responsive and more fun to fly than the extra. Not that it's literally like a suburban in it's weight carrying touring capacity :peace:

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 10:26 

Post Likes: +488
Aircraft: 2020 Gamebird GB1
Some cool pictures of my airplane before I got it.

Butch

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

KTPF/KVDF

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 12:38 

I think you took that a little too literally. He just meant that the gamebird is more responsive and more fun to fly than the extra. Not that it's literally like a suburban in it's weight carrying touring capacity :peace:

I guess I’d have to fly one to believe that. I read the roll rate on the GB is less than the Extra, for what that’s worth. There may be some competing somewhere, but I haven’t seen any.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 13:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5802
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28

I guess I’d have to fly one to believe that. I read the roll rate on the GB is less than the Extra, for what that’s worth. There may be some competing somewhere, but I haven’t seen any.

From the demos, it looks like the GB1 has a lot more capability in the low speed and post stall regime than other aerobatic planes, particularly some the insane-looking stuff that the RC akro pilots are doing.

As a lay person, I don't care that the roll rate is 5% less than the others. At the airshows, all the monoplane pilots are essentially flying the same maneuvers in different orders, and I couldn't tell you whether Goulian or Wagstaff or whoever flew it better. I can tell you that the GB1 is flying maneuvers that they don't, and that's exciting to watch.

Last edited on 15 Jun 2023, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 14:32 

I was responding to the OPs Suburban comment. It’s hard to imagine someone that’s flown an Extra 330LX calling it a Suburban. And, I suspect the air show maneuvers are more pilot specific than anything.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2023, 15:40 

Post Likes: +1756
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
I was responding to the OPs Suburban comment. It’s hard to imagine someone that’s flown an Extra 330LX calling it a Suburban. And, I suspect the air show maneuvers are more pilot specific than anything.

I’d take Doug at his word. Both for having flown both, but also understanding the aerodynamics, stability and control just a little bit more than the average pilot.

I used to teach at a museum whose director got to fly the Grumman F-8 at Duxford. He said the average P-51 owner would bulldoze his Mustang into a ditch if they got their hands on a Bearcat. Not disparaging the one airplane, just emphasizing how superlative the other is.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2023, 16:18 

Post Likes: +514
Aircraft: Pitts S-2B

I’d take Doug at his word. Both for having flown both, but also understanding the aerodynamics, stability and control just a little bit more than the average pilot.

I used to teach at a museum whose director got to fly the Grumman F-8 at Duxford. He said the average P-51 owner would bulldoze his Mustang into a ditch if they got their hands on a Bearcat. Not disparaging the one airplane, just emphasizing how superlative the other is.

If any BT members reading this thread are thinking of putting their Extra or Mustang up for adoption I'm here to assist, free of charge.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2023, 07:44 

Before buying my Extra I spoke to acro pilots that had flown both. None preferred it over the Extra. That’s probably the reason you don’t see it in completion.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2023, 10:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3644
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z
There’s a million of them here in Alpine this weekend.
They look and sound great.

At least one of them has a seriously strong smoke system (unless that’s the Extra or something else).

Tj

C: 602-628-2701

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2023, 10:26 

Post Likes: +7405
Aircraft: S35 E35 C120
There’s a million of them here in Alpine this weekend.
They look and sound great.

At least one of them has a seriously strong smoke system (unless that’s the Extra or something else).

Tj

Any pics from Alpine? I love it up there. I have a few cousins and an uncle who live there.

Greg

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2023, 22:19 

Post Likes: +488
Aircraft: 2020 Gamebird GB1
Alpine pictures

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

KTPF/KVDF

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5