18 Apr 2024, 23:02 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Cub Kits
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 08:53 

Post Likes: +781
Aircraft: V35B Cub
I'm looking into building a Supercub and wanted to get feedback from anyone that's built one from the American Legend, Javron, Backcountry or Cubcrafters kits.

Pros Cons what you would've done differently etc. etc. Researching these kits will make your head spin off.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Cub Kits
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 08:56 

Post Likes: +11412
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
:popcorn:
Nothing relevant to say, but subbing.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 09:00 

Post Likes: +3466
Company: Occasionally Pleasant
Aircraft: H35, C-172
Username Protected wrote:
I'm looking into building a Supercub and wanted to get feedback from anyone that's built one from the American Legend, Javron, Backcountry or Cubcrafters kits.

Pros Cons what you would've done differently etc. etc. Researching these kits will make your head spin off.

Thanks in advance.

Are you an accomplished welder?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 09:11 

Thanks in advance.

Are you an accomplished welder?

Nope. However, I have a highly experienced A&P, IA with extensive experience building and restoring Cubs lined up to complete the project.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 09:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1366
Company: Progress Technical. LLC
Aircraft: B-55
You won’t need to be a welder with the CubCrafters kit. You will need a large wallet though

—paul

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 10:09 

Post Likes: +159
I admire the chops of anyone who can do a full amateur build from one of these kits. I did a factory-assist build of a CubCrafters FX3 in 2019, and realized that I would not be able to do this on my own by a long shot. However, I'm glad that I at least got to experience some aspects of the E/AB experience. While at the factory, I saw how they package up their kits first hand. You'll get a VERY complete kit with exceptionally detailed instructions and very solid support. As noted, though, it's the most expensive of the lot. It's your $$ and your choice. But the finished product (EX3/FX3) is an outstanding airplane.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 10:43 

You won’t need to be a welder with the CubCrafters kit. You will need a large wallet though

—paul

I knew I'd need a large wallet but the Cubcrafters is pricey. I need to balance ifl it's worth the difference in cost.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 11:54 

Post Likes: +10716
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
A friend and his brother are nearing completion on two Supercub kits, I think both are Cubcrafters but I'm not certain. One of them is Peter Dahl, a BT'er with a F33. Try PM'ing him as he doesn't read the forums all that often.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 12:01 

Post Likes: +1514
Aircraft: Club Archer
Don't overlook the Bearhawk line. Can be built from scratch or full quick build kit and anywhere in between. It's not as "polished" as the cubcrafters kit, but it's not nearly as expensive either. There's the original 4 seater, the 2 seat tandem, the 2 seat LSA, and a new bigger version of the 4 seater that has a gross of 3000# (plans and kits haven't started shipping last I heard, but you are advance selling already). I don't remember if the 2 seat side by side version has started selling plans/kits yet.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 15:08 

Post Likes: +1778
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
Most interesting last name mentioned in the above post: Dahl... I wonder if that is any relation to "Whitey" Dahl, the legendary American mercenary pilot that flew Russian "Chatos" during the Spanish Civil War. Shot down by Franco's forces, he was sentenced to death by firing squad. Intriguingly, the direct intervention of a beautiful blonde girlfriend who left a seductive photo of herself after a meeting with the Generalissimo, was sufficient to spare Whitey's life.
I learned about Whitey long ago, from another Civil War pilot that emigrated to Mexico after the war. He flew my family's Cessna 180 (XB-MEN) in the '50's. Among other things, he taught me, at a very tender age, the finer points of flying taildraggers into and out of wild mountain airstrips. Others: He would let me take a drag from his Galoise cigarettes, and sneak a look at scantily-clad women on his deck of cards.
These days I have mended my ways, but the aviation needle remains deeply encroached in my veins.

TN

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 19:48 

Post Likes: +1460
Aircraft: J3, Twin Commander
Do not start watching videos of the guys flying kitfoxes.

I love cubs. OTOH side by side seating, folding wings, and the ability to burn regular gas if necessary is tempting.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 21:18 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1366
Company: Progress Technical. LLC
Aircraft: B-55
I knew I'd need a large wallet but the Cubcrafters is pricey. I need to balance ifl it's worth the difference in cost.

Joe,

I was a downstream (I didn't build it) owner of a EX-2 both as an LSA and after Basic Med, an E-AB aircraft. The aircraft could lift its own weight!

Cubcrafters makes and amazing kit. They have improved it now in the EX-3 and X-Cub, so I imagine they are even more fun to fly now.

I really miss having the Cub, but we wanted something bigger and faster, so we acquired a B-55 Baron and we're having fun flying that around the country.

So you're talking about ~$200,000. for a welded frame kit. You're right, it's pricey, but boy it is fun to fly.

--paul

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2020, 13:37 

Post Likes: +159
I don't want to disparage an airframe that I haven't flown but I have not heard good things about the Kitfox S7 from some pilots that have flown them, in terms of flying characteristics, etc. I could easily be wrong and don't mean to offend anyone here, but my point is not to skip the Kitfox but rather is just this: be sure and actually FLY EVERYTHING ON YOUR SHORT LIST YOURSELF before embarking on this project.

My Carbon Cub basically flies itself; it feels like a pushrod airplane even though it has cables and pulleys. Super smooth, and really well-rigged. There is something to be said for polish, fit and finish in a plane because if they pay attention to the stuff you can see, it's more likely that they also pay attention to the stuff you can't see (e.g., the components). And it's likely to show up in how the plane flies.

Don't get me wrong, the Cubs are expensive and if it's outside your budget, no judgments here. And the Rotax is a great engine - I flew an LSA with the Rotax 914 and loved the engine; used Mogas in it routinely. Great stuff.

But please fly all of these planes critically - do maneuvers, landings, a little cross country test, all the basics because I'd sure hate to spend 1000 hours on something that was not that fun for me to fly afterwards ... specs, options and price are just the first step in the analysis!

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2020, 15:35 

Post Likes: +4796
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
My friend gave me the keys to his carbon cub. I returned it after 15 minutes. I enjoyed the takeoff and landing but other than that I didn’t see anything special about it. A 65hp Champ is much more amusing to fly. Just my opinion, that’s why they make lots of airplanes but if I’m going to spend a 2 handle on a 2 seat airplane, this is definitely not the one.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2020, 18:12 

Post Likes: +1460
Aircraft: J3, Twin Commander
I don't want to disparage an airframe that I haven't flown but I have not heard good things about the Kitfox S7 from some pilots that have flown them, in terms of flying characteristics, etc. I could easily be wrong and don't mean to offend anyone here,...

Won’t offend me. I’ve heard some of the same about the Kitfox, especially early models. Would never have even considered a Kitfox as an option without having tripped over all the videos. Been told that I’m not allowed to sell the J3 so I’ll have a good frame of reference for comparison.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next