banner
banner

25 Apr 2024, 08:48 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Any vintage Mooney owners here?
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 12:27 

Post Likes: +135
Aircraft: M20K/262
The short motor mount sucks. Bad.

8,000 belly skin screws to R&R every annual. Yup. I now just keep those snap top plastic divider bin things full of machine screws, flat head machine screws, sheet metal screws and tinnermans in the hangar and reorder to keep my stock up. Between the belly panels and the dog house baffle it eats screws faster than the clothes dryer eats socks.

But the airframe is solid and if you have an IA that knows them it takes no time to sort them out.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 00:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +92
Username Protected wrote:
I like the simplicity of manual flaps and gear.

I bought M20E with electric flaps and gear, here's why.

The extension speed of electric flaps is higher. It always irritated me how on classic Mooney one had to drop the gear first. I dirty the plane with flaps.

The manual gear has additional failure mode: the wear on the locking block. It took years and years of gear collapses for this problem to become recognized by mechanics.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 14:57 

Post Likes: +65
Aircraft: Twin Comanche
My manual gear Mooney (now Fernando’s) had the locking block retrofit with security button.

I guess if you had a severely abused plane you could break it, but otherwise unaware of any problems to manual gear planes since retrofit.

Tim

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 15:24 

Post Likes: +4
Not a vintage... But 1981 M20K Rocket here!

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 20:40 

Post Likes: +86
Aircraft: C421B MU2-40 Solitai
My first plane was a 67 F model and I owned a 66 E. It was a great plane. Easy to fly, and relatively fast. If you find a clean well cared for early Mooney you can't go wrong. The only thing that is typically missing from these older Mooneys is good autopilot. I would highly recommend splurging on a good autopilot. I moved up from the Mooney to twin Cessnas and now an MU2. I look back at the operation costs of my Mooney and think about how inexpensive it was. After moving up to twins, the Mooney's expense was pocket change. I'm laughing now thinking that I have more cash in my pocket than an annual cost in my Mooney. (not so in my twins)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 20:49 

BTW my F model had bladder tanks which was a major plus. The E model had sealed tanks and it was a PIA. I don't believe that sealing them is a DIY project and I understand the sealant is a carcinogen.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 13:09 

Post Likes: +4
I'm not a fan of the bladders. I have sealed my tanks but other than doing a spot repair I wouldn't want to do it again.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 14:39 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
I have aM20J, great, great airplane. Pilot seat was built to handle tall guys.
Mine has been bulletproof and very cheap to maintain

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:37 

Post Likes: +7956
Aircraft: OPA

I keep hearing people say this, but I don't understand it.

I'm 5'11" and 205 lbs, maybe a bit broad shouldered, but nobody is going to confuse me for a linebacker. My IA buddy is about same height and I'd guess 185 lbs. He runs a Mooney service center.

WE sat in an Ovation 3, and a nearly new Ovation Ultra today. We ran both up for engine and compression checks. Me left seat, him right taking notes.

First of all, both pilot seats were reclined so I felt like I was in a gangsta-mobile, and my head was only 1/4" away from the ceiling in the 3, while the Ultra had a bit of a depression formed into the headliner, so I had maybe 1/2" above my head, though I still almost touched where the upper side window meets the headliner. In NEITHER airplane, could I have worn my David Clark headset without tilting my head.

In BOTH airplanes, our shoulders touched.

Contrast, I flew my IA to Hooks about 10 days ago in my F33A to deliver some parts to a customer. We didn't touch shoulders, they were 2-3" apart. Neither of us had to move our seats 1/4" to enter, fly with our feet on the rudder pedals, or exit the aircraft. I can comfortably wear my DC H10-60 without being anywhere near to rubbing on the headliner, and I can bend my knees and cross my legs while Gamin flies.

I've also sat in the back seats of a newish 201 and the top of my head rests on the headliner.

I'm not trying to make this a "Beech is better than all others" post, but I keep hearing guys boast about Mooneys being great for big and tall guys, and I just don't see how, unless you're reclined at a 30 deg angle. (like I am right now with my feet on my desk)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +457
Aircraft: 1960 Bonanza M35

I'm 5'11" and 205 lbs, maybe a bit broad shouldered, but nobody is going to confuse me for a linebacker. My IA buddy is about same height and I'd guess 185 lbs. He runs a Mooney service center.

WE sat in an Ovation 3, and a nearly new Ovation Ultra today. We ran both up for engine and compression checks. Me left seat, him right taking notes.

First of all, both pilot seats were reclined so I felt like I was in a gangsta-mobile, and my head was only 1/4" away from the ceiling in the 3, while the Ultra had a bit of a depression formed into the headliner, so I had maybe 1/2" above my head, though I still almost touched where the upper side window meets the headliner. In NEITHER airplane, could I have worn my David Clark headset without tilting my head.

I'm not trying to make this a "Beech is better than all others" post, but I keep hearing guys boast about Mooneys being great for big and tall guys, and I just don't see how, unless you're reclined at a 30 deg angle. (like I am right now with my feet on my desk)

The Ovations should have vertically adjustable seats. Were they adjusted fully down or fully up or didn't anyone check?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:57 

Post Likes: +7956
Aircraft: OPA
There is a small amount of adjustment, but I don't mess with owner's seats unless necessary.

Beyond that, I have sat in a LOT of Mooneys in the past several years at his shop. More than 30. I've only sat in one that had a custom, (not factory) interior that was marginally better.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 00:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +404
Company: Nantucket Rover Repair
Aircraft: Cessna N337JJ

In BOTH airplanes, our shoulders touched.

Contrast, I flew my IA to Hooks about 10 days ago in my F33A to deliver some parts to a customer. We didn't touch shoulders, they were 2-3" apart. Neither of us had to move our seats 1/4" to enter, fly with our feet on the rudder pedals, or exit the aircraft. I can comfortably wear my DC H10-60 without being anywhere near to rubbing on the headliner, and I can bend my knees and cross my legs while Gamin flies.

I've also sat in the back seats of a newish 201 and the top of my head rests on the headliner.

If you have a tall torso a Mooney is tight and a Bonanza would likely be more comfortable for you . The width of Mooneys and Bonanza have been debated for years. They are so close a interior upgrade can make one wider than the other. What most seem to agree on is if you like an upright chair get a Bonanza if you like being have your legs out get a Mooney.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 15:04 

I agree with Tim. Sitting in a Mooney is like sitting in a sports car. I had an old Alfa Romeo spyder that was about the same.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 21:31 

Post Likes: +641
There is a small amount of adjustment, but I don't mess with owner's seats unless necessary.

Beyond that, I have sat in a LOT of Mooneys in the past several years at his shop. More than 30. I've only sat in one that had a custom, (not factory) interior that was marginally better.

Right, you should not adjust someone else’s but with the articulating seats you would have had plenty of room if it were adjusted down. With the curve over head it can “feel” smaller.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2020, 10:34 

Post Likes: +98
Aircraft: 77' B55
Working on a Mooney is like building a ship in a bottle. It’s not a mass production airplane like a beech. I will admit that Beechcraft is a better airplane but the Mooney is a great value. I’m 6’4” and Mooney is comfortable for me. My head is always bumping the roof in Beechcraft. I have had a Deb, B55, and now a M20F. I have enjoyed them all.

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next