Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the PC-24
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2020, 12:00 

Post Likes: +233
Aircraft: Searching....
Username Protected wrote:

The APU concept is neat, except as a single pilot it's use practically is little to none since you aren't going to leave the cockpit with an engine running. The Phenom 300 has a similar feature and I have never used it.

We looked into the "QPM" for the Phenom 300 as we have 3. The approval {piece of paper}
That says we can do it now is useless. We can start the right engine and a pilot has to be in the seat and it is limited to 20 minutes of operation. Prior to getting this there are no limitations to running the engine at idle that I'm aware of. This is useless if you're single pilot. My understanding on the PC24 it reduces the idle so a pilot isn't needed to be at the controls??

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2020, 12:33 

Post Likes: +893
Does the PC-24 engine have an auto-shutdown/auto firefight feature while it's in the Quiet Power Mode?

(If it does there should be no issue with running it without a pilot in the cockpit.)

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2020, 16:23 

Post Likes: +564
Aircraft: PC-24 Citabria 7GCBC
PC24 AFM requires a pilot to be seated and buckled while in QPM.

Embraer came out with their own version of QPM after Pilatus announcement, but the idle speed isn’t reduced. It’s basically just the right engine running.

Neither goes against your engine program time while in “QPM” which is a good thing!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2020, 17:04 

Post Likes: +421
Aircraft: Phenom 300, R66
Flew up to Rock Hill SC this morning to tour a PC-24 that was in for a 600hr maintenance.

The cockpit feels like you're in a 787; it's huge. The layout and avionics are similar to the Phenom; fully integrated with few extra switches. This is much better than the new CJ3/CJ4 we toured last week. The PC-24 has autothrottles, which would be great.

The cabin is very spacious for a "light jet". The aircraft we toured had the double-club seats; however, we think we'd like the 6+2 configuration as it is very flexible. You can add two more seats (8) in the back when needed; doesn't require a log entry. When they are not installed the 2nd and 3rd rows can fully recline. Tons of pressurized storage.

No delivery slots until Q2 2022....

Attachment:
IMG_2159.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_2161.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 21:52 

Post Likes: +65
Typed pilot # 243, nice. I was one month after you and was the 250th. I have yet to fly the plane with all that's going on right now.

The experience base needs to grow fast and needs to get back to flightsafety. Felt to me like 9 days of training crammed into 23 for various reasons.

Glad you like the plane. I think I will too once we get to using it.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 10:19 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +242
Company: W. John Gadd, Esq.
Aircraft: C55 Baron
Thought I’d share my experience training and flying the PC-24. We took delivery of a brand new one last week!

I spent the better part of the month of Feb training in Dallas at Flight Safety International, getting my first single pilot type in the PC-24. Flight Safety is currently the only provider of training in the PC-24 however as of later this month, there will be an in plane option.

The course is LONG, I arrived Jan 27th and left Feb 16th. I suspect this is to accommodate the avionics transition to the Honeywell ACE avionics. Having had significant experience in the PC-12 NG, the transition was very easy. It’s basically the same which is a big advantage for owners moving up. Those who have flown the Honeywell Epic know the beauty of it.

The training was pretty well designed. I think Flight Safety is a top quality provider. This is my 3rd type so I’ve been around the block. The plane was well designed for single pilot. It really accomplishes most SIC responsibilities automatically, the level of automation is astounding. My sim partner was doing the SIC required type so I was able to see it both ways. While acting as SIC I noticed my sim partner looked very bored. I felt very well prepared for the type ride and it went smoothly. I became the 243rd recipient of the PC-24 type in the world :dance:

Last week we took delivery of the real thing! It does not disappoint! The interior is incredible, it’s blows the Citation XL I fly away in most categories. The short field performance is astounding. The plane is completely comfortable on 3000’ or less full fuel on a hot day. Low pressure tires and an aggressively large lift dump system make stopping quick easy.

Climb performance is strong at gross to 450 on a hot day mid 20 minutes to TOC. The space inside is HUGE. We have the 6 seat exec configuration and there is a ton of extra space. We flew from Tampa to LA last week, we needed a stop on the way out due to large winds but it made it home nonstop in 4.5 with a full hour of fuel left.

The gross weight leaves a little to be desired. At 18,300 MTOW it’s a bit lighter than most similar sized jets. It’s a bit slower as well with a .74 MMO. Heavy and high it will start at .69 and creeps it’s way up to MMO after burning 1/3 a tank.

All in all it lives up to the title “The Super Versatile Jet”. The huge trademark Pilatus cargo door makes loading easy. The lack of an APU is replaced by Williams “Quiet Power Mode” which runs the right engine at sub idle speeds to run systems (although no bleed air). I truly believe this will become the best selling jet in its class! I expected a lot from Pilatus having loved the PC-12 and got more than I expected out of the 24.

Here’s a few pic of the plane! N# blurred for the owners privacy. Anyone else here flying one yet?

Wow.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 21:13 

Post Likes: +224
Company: Go Aviation
Aircraft: E90, PA18, 310, 185
Typed pilot # 243, nice. I was one month after you and was the 250th. I have yet to fly the plane with all that's going on right now.

The experience base needs to grow fast and needs to get back to flightsafety. Felt to me like 9 days of training crammed into 23 for various reasons.

Glad you like the plane. I think I will too once we get to using it.

You will like the plane, however it’s a really crappy plane to land! I have about 20 hours in the plane now and I’m finally getting used to it.

We were doing t&g on a 2800ft runway as part of my training for rejected landings. That is definitely something I never thought was possible in a mid sized jet!

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 11:27 

Post Likes: +19643
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
You will like the plane, however it’s a really crappy plane to land! I have about 20 hours in the plane now and I’m finally getting used to it.

Help us out here Mike, what is it that makes it hard to land well?

Having flown straight-gear Citations, I'm in touch with planes that are hard to land smoothly, but with the trailing links I'd have expected the PC24 to be pretty smooth.

I also remember that wrestling with the Lear for the first 50 hours before I "figured it out", so maybe time helps here too, but I'd have expected it to be pretty easy out of the box.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020, 21:37 

Post Likes: +224
Company: Go Aviation
Aircraft: E90, PA18, 310, 185

Help us out here Mike, what is it that makes it hard to land well?

Having flown straight-gear Citations, I'm in touch with planes that are hard to land smoothly, but with the trailing links I'd have expected the PC24 to be pretty smooth.

I also remember that wrestling with the Lear for the first 50 hours before I "figured it out", so maybe time helps here too, but I'd have expected it to be pretty easy out of the box.

Absolutely, it’s hard to grease it in, coming from the pc-12 which lands like it is on feathers this is much more complicated. It’s very speed sensitive as most jets are, but this one really wants to float. There isn’t any flare. As soon as the wheels spin up the lift dump deploys and does it’s job. It’s a two stage touchdown, similar to my 185 as soon as the wheels touch you need to give a little push to stick it. Then before the nose comes crashing down a brisk pull on the yoke almost to the stop to arrest the nose is necessary. I I was getting a good handle on it before zombie apocalypse and look forward to more practice. I know other pilots with up to 200hrs in type and the feedback is pretty unanimous, good luck getting soft landings.

PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 19:34 

Post Likes: +115
Aircraft: PC24,PC12,BE30,LR60
Starting my 2nd week of PC24 initial right now. Seems like a very uncomplicated plane systems wise. Playing with the desktop sim in the classroom has been an enormous help in getting used to the APEX way of doing things. Like reported, it’s very automated for the mundane things. It makes single pilot ops easier.

Only complaints so far is Pilatus has come up with a whole other list of acronyms to learn, some of the limitations are a bit excessive (as in the number of them) and FSI is way behind on updating their training materials to keep pace with Pilatus revisions. Numerous things which are now outdated but still present in their training materials both in the classroom and in FlightBag. This makes things a bit difficult when trying to learn a new airframe.

Wondering what number I will be... :scratch:

Last edited on 04 May 2020, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 19:42 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7329
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Great info!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 14:14 

Check ride accomplished with the FAA observing the examiner. Nothing like adding a bit more pressure to the type ride.

I am number 261 to earn the PC24 type.

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 14:46 

Post Likes: +421
Aircraft: Phenom 300, R66
Starting my 2nd week of PC24 initial right now. Seems like a very uncomplicated plane systems wise. Playing with the desktop sim in the classroom has been an enormous help in getting used to the APEX way of doing things. Like reported, it’s very automated for the mundane things. It makes single pilot ops easier.

Only complaints so far is Pilatus has come up with a whole other list of acronyms to learn, some of the limitations are a bit excessive (as in the number of them) and FSI is way behind on updating their training materials to keep pace with Pilatus revisions. Numerous things which are now outdated but still present in their training materials both in the classroom and in FlightBag. This makes things a bit difficult when trying to learn a new airframe.

Wondering what number I will be... :scratch:

Do you know if they have a desktop "simulator" for the APEX like Garmin does for the G1000/3000?

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 23:07 

Do you know if they have a desktop "simulator" for the APEX like Garmin does for the G1000/3000?[/quote]

The only thing I know of is the proprietary FSI program they use. I found it to be a great learning tool. I had the system pretty much down by day 3 of ground school.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 17:40 

Post Likes: +562
Company: FUSION
Aircraft: B300ER B200 C90 DHC6
PC24 review. Best in its class too!
[youtube]https://youtu.be/zx2bZiGizMo[/youtube]

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next