Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: 1968 Cardinal Fixed Gear
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 09:40 

Post Likes: +83
Company: self
Aircraft: C177
If you actually travel the CS would be really nice, for just training a waste of money IMHO.

I run the O320 FP hard so when I start fighting thermals the RPM tends to wonder a lot, a CS prop stays right where I set it.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2020, 06:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +242
Company: W. John Gadd, Esq.
Aircraft: C55 Baron
Username Protected wrote:
If you actually travel the CS would be really nice, for just training a waste of money IMHO.

I run the O320 FP hard so when I start fighting thermals the RPM tends to wonder a lot, a CS prop stays right where I set it.

It so damned slow, I don’t think it would ever be much for traveling. Your lucky to get 100kts out of it. I’m not even certain it would outrun my 150. The upgrade would help, but I figure 5 knots or so at best—-200-275nm trips are probably best case scenario.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020, 12:51 

Post Likes: +561
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 2007 RANS S-6ES
It so damned slow, I don’t think it would ever be much for traveling. Your lucky to get 100kts out of it. I’m not even certain it would outrun my 150. The upgrade would help, but I figure 5 knots or so at best—-200-275nm trips are probably best case scenario.

While I've only had a single flight in a '68 Cardinal with fixed-pitch prop, I'm about 99% sure that the owner demonstrated cruise speeds that were closer to 115 knots at reasonable power setting. Not a speed-burner, by any means, but certainly not a " lucky to get 100 kts airplane. Seemed like a reasonable tradeoff to give up a bit of cruise speed for the much roomier cockpit and easier entry/exit.

I didn't purchase the Cardinal, but it wasn't because of the lack of cruise speed... The seller was just wanted more money than I felt the airplane was worth at the time, given the condition and the time on the engine/prop. There were very few fixed-gear Cardinals on the market at that time, so the pickings were slim. I went a different route, but still sometimes wonder if I would have been happier with the Cardinal. I wound up with an airplane that was fast, but a bit "tight" and uncomfortable me on longer flights, so I didn't keep it very long. Maybe the Cardinal would have been a better option at the time!

As for "too slow for traveling"... I made a 945-mile trip in my 100-mph airplane, and guys with Cubs do long trips averaging 65-70 mph as well. Admittedly, it is more about the journey than the destination, and you gotta enjoy flying (versus "traveling") for it to be fun. (I sometimes wonder if the "fast and furious" crowd doesn't miss out on a lot of the fun of flying! Likely a minority opinion here on BeechTalk, but...)

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020, 14:13 

WWW  Profile

While I've only had a single flight in a '68 Cardinal with fixed-pitch prop, I'm about 99% sure that the owner demonstrated cruise speeds that were closer to 115 knots at reasonable power setting. Not a speed-burner, by any means, but certainly not a " lucky to get 100 kts airplane. Seemed like a reasonable tradeoff to give up a bit of cruise speed for the much roomier cockpit and easier entry/exit.

I didn't purchase the Cardinal, but it wasn't because of the lack of cruise speed... The seller was just wanted more money than I felt the airplane was worth at the time, given the condition and the time on the engine/prop. There were very few fixed-gear Cardinals on the market at that time, so the pickings were slim. I went a different route, but still sometimes wonder if I would have been happier with the Cardinal. I wound up with an airplane that was fast, but a bit "tight" and uncomfortable me on longer flights, so I didn't keep it very long. Maybe the Cardinal would have been a better option at the time!

As for "too slow for traveling"... I made a 945-mile trip in my 100-mph airplane, and guys with Cubs do long trips averaging 65-70 mph as well. Admittedly, it is more about the journey than the destination, and you gotta enjoy flying (versus "traveling") for it to be fun. (I sometimes wonder if the "fast and furious" crowd doesn't miss out on a lot of the fun of flying! Likely a minority opinion here on BeechTalk, but...)

What did you buy?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 10:27 

Post Likes: +83
Company: self
Aircraft: C177

The 68 177 is 172 performance, its slow. The 177B is just a better tasting flavor of slow.

All my flights are around 130+ nm one-way. Once or twice a year 300+. I did do 850 nm in a day and it was slow but great. The comfort was hands down better than any airline flight of comparable cost. Took the back seat out and loaded probably 250 pounds of junk in the back and the 30# dog slept the whole way pretty much.

The slowness doesn't really bother me as most days I'd rather fly 85 MPH across the ground than drive to where I'm trying to go. Traveling by car sucks more and more the older I get. I almost never leave town in car anymore.

My copilot fell back in July and has needed knee surgery for months, due to COVID its not looking great. She could not get in and out of the 182 right now if she tried, let alone a Bo. The 177 is by far the easiest for her.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 14:16 

Post Likes: +561
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 2007 RANS S-6ES
What did you buy?

When I was looking at the Cardinal, it was going to be my "first" airplane. I wound up getting a super deal on a really nice '75 Grumman Traveler. That's the one that was a bit "tight" for this admittedly "larger than average" guy, especially if I had a passenger along... It was an absolutely gorgeous airplane, and would cruise at 130 KTAS at altitude with the O-320 (high-compression STC) burning 7.5-8 gph. And it was a really fun plane to fly - light and responsive on the controls like a little fighter plane. Yet still a decent instrument platform, and handled turbulence fairly well. It was just really tight with my wife (or anyone else) in the cockpit with me.

The 945-mile trip? That was when I bought my current plane, a RANS S-6ES Coyote II. It's an E-LSA (2 seats, 100 HP Rotax). On that flight home, I was battling 35-45 knot winds (mostly headwind component) so my ground speed really sucked. But the scenery was amazing!

I put big tires on the S-6ES so I can land on semi-prepared fields, and that probably slowed it a little. The bigger impact on my cruise speed is that the ground-adjustable prop is set way too "fine" at the moment. I have to throttle back significantly in cruise to avoid exceeding redline rpm in level flight, so I'm giving up a fair bit of speed. Currently cruises at 100-105 mph (5.2 gph), but should be able to do 110-120 mph at that same fuel burn when I get the prop pitch set correctly... And oddly enough, I'll probably gain some climb performance as well, according to the Rotax "gurus", since I'm currently not climbing at optimal RPM either. I currently max out around 1000 fpm, whereas most folks are getting closer to 1200 fpm with the proper pitch settings. Fun plane - STOL enough for me, and cheap enough to be affordable for the retired guy.

PS - to someone else's point – and to bring this back to the original thread topic – I don't believe there is any airplane that is easier to get in and out of than the Cardinal. That big door and the low seats make it super-easy!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2020, 11:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +782
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx
They are JUNK. Thats all I am going to say.

One tried to kill me in Key West a few years ago and I haven't got much good to say about them since.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2020, 17:48 

WWW  Profile

What did you buy?

When I was looking at the Cardinal, it was going to be my "first" airplane. I wound up getting a super deal on a really nice '75 Grumman Traveler. That's the one that was a bit "tight" for this admittedly "larger than average" guy, especially if I had a passenger along... It was an absolutely gorgeous airplane, and would cruise at 130 KTAS at altitude with the O-320 (high-compression STC) burning 7.5-8 gph. And it was a really fun plane to fly - light and responsive on the controls like a little fighter plane. Yet still a decent instrument platform, and handled turbulence fairly well. It was just really tight with my wife (or anyone else) in the cockpit with me.

The 945-mile trip? That was when I bought my current plane, a RANS S-6ES Coyote II. It's an E-LSA (2 seats, 100 HP Rotax). On that flight home, I was battling 35-45 knot winds (mostly headwind component) so my ground speed really sucked. But the scenery was amazing!

I put big tires on the S-6ES so I can land on semi-prepared fields, and that probably slowed it a little. The bigger impact on my cruise speed is that the ground-adjustable prop is set way too "fine" at the moment. I have to throttle back significantly in cruise to avoid exceeding redline rpm in level flight, so I'm giving up a fair bit of speed. Currently cruises at 100-105 mph (5.2 gph), but should be able to do 110-120 mph at that same fuel burn when I get the prop pitch set correctly... And oddly enough, I'll probably gain some climb performance as well, according to the Rotax "gurus", since I'm currently not climbing at optimal RPM either. I currently max out around 1000 fpm, whereas most folks are getting closer to 1200 fpm with the proper pitch settings. Fun plane - STOL enough for me, and cheap enough to be affordable for the retired guy.

PS - to someone else's point – and to bring this back to the original thread topic – I don't believe there is any airplane that is easier to get in and out of than the Cardinal. That big door and the low seats make it super-easy!

Grumman’s are fast for the hp.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2020, 17:49 

WWW  Profile

They are JUNK. Thats all I am going to say.

One tried to kill me in Key West a few years ago and I haven't got much good to say about them since.

Near death via a Cardinal?

This one seems gentle as a lamb to me.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 10:41 

WWW  Profile

Anyone here have or have had or even have flown 68 Cardinals?

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 10:42 

WWW  Profile

KSPG

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 10:44 

WWW  Profile

KSPG

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 16:21 

Post Likes: +3
Aircraft: B55
I flew a brand new 1968 Cardinal, for about a year, unmodified at the time. Since it was a company airplane and I was always alone, I didn't think it was that much different than the 172. I always had weight in the baggage compartment, so I unwittingly was helping myself out.

BUT!!!!!! The point I'd like to stress here is this:

This wing is not a short field wing: DO NOT EVER TRY AND "YANK IT OFF THE GROUND".
A laminar flow wing will not climb until the proper speed is attained. You will be in ground effect until you do attain that speed, or hit something first! Trust me (1,000+ hrs Comanche time, laminar flow wing).

I had a friend that had the 180hp CS prop model and he liked it, flew it all over the country(went to a Baron after that).

Regarding the discussion about CS vs. fixed prop, I have flown 180 Cherokee and 180 Comanche, acceleration on take off, big difference!

The 150 would be ok as a trainer I would think, just a bit of a dog. Not good for small airports. If you are going to keep it, get a CS 180.

Oh,-----Watch your forehead when approaching the wing, especially from the rear!

Ps Friend just bought 180 fixed prop, likes the entry for "older" guests.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 20:49 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: N/A
OK - no not fixed gear; BUT, if I was younger (not) and licensed (not) this would be my airplane.

TAT 177RG

https://taturbo.com/frames.html

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 14:45 

Post Likes: +1011
So is there an available STC to put a 180 in a 150hp 68 model?

If so, does it make it the equivalent to a '69 177A?

George

Yes and Yes. There's a 68 on Barnstormers with the 180 HP conversion now for $55K. The 150 HP plane is a dog.

Yep, jumped out of one as a parachutist a couple of times (demo at Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk) and I didn't think we would EVER get to exit altitude. Pilot didn't like it either. Nice big door though.

Dan

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next