banner
banner

25 Apr 2024, 12:19 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: If the Mustang does your mission, it's darn near perfect
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 09:52 

Post Likes: +25
Aircraft: Phenom 300
Username Protected wrote:

I’d love to hear that comparison! Does BT even have one person who can tell us?

Both Martin and I operate our own P300 so ask away, but I have no experience with the CJ4. I have sat in one a few times and the cabin feels small although it is only minimally less wide.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 00:05 

Post Likes: +138
Company: Advantage Technologies
Aircraft: Citation 510 Mustang
I would say that the M2 is different enough from the 100 to not be an apples to apples comparison either, but you are right it is close.

The more I think about the planes all three do something slightly different than each other. It is not as easy of a comparison of a Phenom 300 to a CJ4 for example.

Also since the original post that Bryan put up. I got tired of him talking about his Mustang that I got rid of the 100 and bought a 300. He oddly brings it up less often in our conversations now a days...

I would point out that I am replying to Martin's bit of nonsense here while IN my Mustang. Which I can do. Because I have on board WiFi. Which Martin can't do in his fancy 300.

And the primary reason that I'm so much slower than Martin's 300 is the extra $4,000,000 that I carry around in the baggage compartment. It's a considerable drag on performance!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 00:09 

Post Likes: +138
Company: Advantage Technologies
Aircraft: Citation 510 Mustang
I would say that the M2 is different enough from the 100 to not be an apples to apples comparison either, but you are right it is close.

The more I think about the planes all three do something slightly different than each other. It is not as easy of a comparison of a Phenom 300 to a CJ4 for example.

Help me out here, where is the M2 so different from the 100 that the two are not fairly apples to apples? Always happy to learn...

The M2 is quite a bit more in terms of abilities than a P100. Faster, farther, heated wing, hauls more, seats more, etc... Look at it this way:

Mustang <----> Phenom 100 <-------------------> M2 <-------------------------------------->CJ3+

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 01:45 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66

Also since the original post that Bryan put up. I got tired of him talking about his Mustang that I got rid of the 100 and bought a 300. He oddly brings it up less often in our conversations now a days...

I would point out that I am replying to Martin's bit of nonsense here while IN my Mustang. Which I can do. Because I have on board WiFi. Which Martin can't do in his fancy 300.

And the primary reason that I'm so much slower than Martin's 300 is the extra $4,000,000 that I carry around in the baggage compartment. It's a considerable drag on performance!

Which internet product?
"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 09:24 

Post Likes: +19721
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55

Quit surfing the net and watch where you're going! ;)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 09:34 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58

The M2 is quite a bit more in terms of abilities than a P100. Faster, farther, heated wing, hauls more, seats more, etc... Look at it this way:

Mustang <----> Phenom 100 <-------------------> M2 <-------------------------------------->CJ3+

I dunno, always thought that the Phenom 100/100EV was the competitive product to the M2. Have run the #s and looks pretty apples to apples to me. Yes there are some differences, but man are they close. I have spread the numbers in a pretty detailed manner.

Always thought that the comparisons were Phenom 100 vs M2, and Phenom 300 vs CJ3+/CJ4.

Interesting if you look at the units sold. Past couple of years M2 is outselling Phenom 100s by a 3:1 margin. For both 2018 & 2019 P100s 11 units in each year, M2, 34 units in each year. But if you look at the Phenom 300s, the 300s outsell the CJ3+ and CJ4 on an individual basis, and holds its own on a combined basis. 2018 Embraer sold 53 P300s to Cessnas 37 CJ3+ and 33 CJ4. 2019 again Embraer sold 51 Ph300s to Cessnas 37 CJ3+ and 33 CJ4.

Would indicate that the market believes the M2 is a more compelling value proposition than the P100, but the P300 stacks up better against its competition.

But that is fodder for another thread... paging Chip McClure .....

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 10:55 

Post Likes: +3201
Aircraft: C55, PC-12

I’d love to hear that comparison! Does BT even have one person who can tell us?

Both Martin and I operate our own P300 so ask away, but I have no experience with the CJ4. I have sat in one a few times and the cabin feels small although it is only minimally less wide.

Wow cool! Ok, here's a few:
How long to get to 450 on a +10 ISA day when heavy?
What is your max payload?
Do you have a support group that is anything like CJP?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 12:45 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7340
Company: Jet Acquisitions

I dunno, always thought that the Phenom 100/100EV was the competitive product to the M2. Have run the #s and looks pretty apples to apples to me. Yes there are some differences, but man are they close. I have spread the numbers in a pretty detailed manner.

Always thought that the comparisons were Phenom 100 vs M2, and Phenom 300 vs CJ3+/CJ4.

Interesting if you look at the units sold. Past couple of years M2 is outselling Phenom 100s by a 3:1 margin. For both 2018 & 2019 P100s 11 units in each year, M2, 34 units in each year. But if you look at the Phenom 300s, the 300s outsell the CJ3+ and CJ4 on an individual basis, and holds its own on a combined basis. 2018 Embraer sold 53 P300s to Cessnas 37 CJ3+ and 33 CJ4. 2019 again Embraer sold 51 Ph300s to Cessnas 37 CJ3+ and 33 CJ4.

Would indicate that the market believes the M2 is a more compelling value proposition than the P100, but the P300 stacks up better against its competition.

But that is fodder for another thread... paging Chip McClure .....

I have always considered the Mustang and Phenom 100 competitors, having said that you could probably make a case that the 100EV is a competitor to the M2.

Both have their advantages, Textron has defiantly dominated the market from a service standpoint, but other than that it's all trade-offs.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 01:24 

Post Likes: +25
Aircraft: Phenom 300

Wow cool! Ok, here's a few:
How long to get to 450 on a +10 ISA day when heavy?
What is your max payload?
Do you have a support group that is anything like CJP?

MTOW 18,387 lbs
Zero Fuel 14,220 lbs
Full Fuel 5,310 lbs
Empty weight 11,454 lbs

If ISA+10, you need to be down to 16,800 lbs by the TOC. It would take you 28 min to get there and burn 718 lbs, so the takeoff weight could be 17,518 lbs. That gives you 6,064 lbs to play with between payload and fuel.

If you need max fuel and max payload you would have to stop a FL430...

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 23.54.15.png

Payload with FULL fuel is 1733 lbs. That's 9 x 180 lbs people with no luggage! The zero fuel weight is 14,220 lbs (so max 2766 lbs of payload, not sure where that would fit), which would still give you 4100+ lbs for fuel.

The EJOA.aero forum is pretty dead (but the annual conventions are great). However, there are several active Facebook groups (https://www.facebook.com/groups/187917278387944/ has over 600 members) that have a lot of professional pilots with high engagement. The average P300 pilot works for a fractional and is not going to spend $250 to join a type club.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 15:46 

Post Likes: +30
Marcus hit it right on.

My BEW is 11,366 and I have the max weight increase Marcus has listed in his numbers as well. The older Phenom 300's are lighter birds, they have significantly improved the interior over the years at the expense of around 200-300 lbs. I think Embraer's demo 300E I saw had a full fuel payload of 1200. Keep in my Embraer does not provision for a pilot in their BEW number like Textron does.

And since Bryan is lurking here he can attest to I loaded up my 300 with a bunch of his guys and I was around 100 lbs under zero fuel weight. That is a number I never thought I would need look up.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 09:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +242
Company: W. John Gadd, Esq.
Aircraft: C55 Baron
Going out on a limb here but.......

I'm betting you have one for sale.

Ron

No sir! We do not sell airplanes.

We only represent buyers. It doesn't matter to me if our clients buy a Mustang, an M2... a M600, TBM, a CJ-whatever, an XLS... a Lear 75, a Hawker, a Challenger... or a King Air.

I'm often accused of all of my post being advertising, and I guess they are in a way... but the reality is we maintain a full load of clients so I'm not out trolling for business, I start these post so that people can find them and learn from them.

For about 15 years I was on the sales side, sold older Lears and Citations... I hated the Mustang because I didn't understand it. I always thought "why not just buy a Citation II... it's cheaper and does more" when you flip to the buyers side and start to understand the entire ownership experience your mindset shifts and you begin to appreciate airplanes that were designed for more than go fast, carry a load.

I like your posts.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 18:24 

Post Likes: +159
From my perspective, I would say the M2 and HondaJet Elite are competitive with each other. The P100 range is consistent with the Mustang, Eclipse (and the Cirrus jet) but the ability to go 1500 nm does set the M2 and HondaJet Elite apart in my opinion. But my opinion is certainly not as informed as Chip’s and others in this thread. It’s just that when I look at my missions, I wouldn’t get a jet with an 1150 nm range because I would be on the edge of the range all the time. But would consider a jet with 1400-1500 nm range. So at least for my missions, that is a distinction that makes a difference.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 19:51 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
From my perspective, I would say the M2 and HondaJet Elite are competitive with each other. The P100 range is consistent with the Mustang, Eclipse (and the Cirrus jet) but the ability to go 1500 nm does set the M2 and HondaJet Elite apart in my opinion. But my opinion is certainly not as informed as Chip’s and others in this thread. It’s just that when I look at my missions, I wouldn’t get a jet with an 1150 nm range because I would be on the edge of the range all the time. But would consider a jet with 1400-1500 nm range. So at least for my missions, that is a distinction that makes a difference.

Hence the reason Chip titled the thread the way he did.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2020, 10:57 

Post Likes: +82
Company: Umajin
Aircraft: Citation Mustang
Getting back to Chip's premise in his initial post, let me add another Mustang owner's perspective.

I posted some of this before since I DO have mine for sale. viewtopic.php?f=43&t=176571

I bought the Mustang five years ago, having flown only single engine pistons since I was 16. My plan was to fly it for three years, since I didn't really have a mission for it except that wanted to try flying a jet. I'm selling it after five years because I'm just not using it enough. I think there are quite a few Baron owners out there who should stop talking about it and try flying one, whether or not it is the one I'm selling. Its been a great experience.

Overall Cessna did a great job of designing the Mustang for the owner pilot, and still does a great job of supporting it. Unfortunately I think they under-marketed it or they would still be selling them, and the TBM sales guys would be having a tougher time.

A summary of my experience:

There is a good discussion of operating cost above. I've maintained it at the Textron Service Center and am on all programs. Parts and Labor programs are basically a way of spreading costs of over the year so they are predictable. My labor and parts programs costs are fairly close to what total maintenance charges have been.

Acquisition cost for a Mustang like mine is similar to a late model Baron and a lot less than an equivalent vintage TBM. Capital cost is a big part of total cost of ownership, so if it is a personal plane with no depreciation write off, this makes a big difference.

My dispatch rate has been about 99%. On the three occasions I was AOG, the mobile service unit got me going again with 24 hours.

The plane is comfortable. I think the cockpit is easier to get into (and occasionally stretch out in) than an M2 or CJ3+. You step around rather than over the center console. I regularly carry 4 family members, a service dog, 10 duffel bags, and a wheelchair. My family for the most part does not like to fly, and the lack or vibration and the ability to top most weather makes a big difference.

Whether the mission is long or short I've never had to cancel a trip because of weather. The ability to climb through icing layers at 180 (with an increased RAT) and get to 410 has enabled several trips I would have hesitated to do in a prop. And there is a lot of performance margin for single engine operations if I'm not in the mountains.

I usually have to stop on the way down to Florida from KBED (and usually nonstop back), but most of those flights are with passengers who don't want to use the potty on board, and I can almost always get fuel for less than $4 on the stop (probably less now). I don't make many trips to the west coast.

My A36 had tip tanks and increased gross weight, and fully loaded there were not a lot of airports I would take it into that I would not land the Mustang.

I've done the majority of my training in the plane, and have had some really good instructors. The type rating does mean more training days than a prop, but there are more flexible options than FlightSafety. And it definitely improved my ability to fly safely in any aircraft.

Citation Jet Pilots Association is a great community and has put a lot of emphasis on safety training over the past couple of years. The annual and regional events are great fun and Textron often sponsors well known country music stars to play at them

If I look at this list and compare total cost of ownership vs other planes discussed in this thread, I fully support Chip's premise that the Mustang is "darned near perfect" at least for my mission.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2020, 01:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7340
Company: Jet Acquisitions
[quote="Bill Stevenson"]
Overall Cessna did a great job of designing the Mustang for the owner pilot, and still does a great job of supporting it. Unfortunately I think they under-marketed it or they would still be selling them, and the TBM sales guys would be having a tougher time.

Thanks for your input Bill!

I have a different take on why Mustang production ceased, bear in mind that Textron also quit building the CJ1+ and CJ2+... the CJ1+ was replaced years later with the M2 and the 2+ (probably the most popular 525 ever built) has basically been replaced by the CJ3+

I do wish Textron would build an M3, a direct replacement for the 2+ but it would fall into the dreaded $5-$6M price point. The reality is that someone who can afford a $6 million airplane, can afford an $8 million airplane, so why not buy the 3+

Textron has both new and used aircraft inventory to consider in their overall plan.I think they quit building the Mustang because they produced enough airplanes to meet the market that existed for that aircraft. Now they are producing the move up aircraft, the Citation M2. If the Mustang is a great airplane, the M2 is an awesome airplane! If Textron had overproduced the Mustang, the pre-owned values would suffer, and it would make it much more difficult for those owners to move up to the new M2.

My issue with the Phenom 100 is that Embraer seems to be competing with itself, we’ve had a couple of clients that ended up disenchanted with that airframe because the one they wanted (100EV) was out of their budget. I think Embraer should have discontinued the P100, and came out with the Phenom 200. Then once they had built a sustainable number of aircraft, and allowed the P100 to settle in, they could’ve come out with the P100EV.

On the surface what Textron does seems misguided, but when you look at the big picture and really study it, they are doing a brilliant job with marketing.

I do not have any inside information on this, but I will not be one bit surprised if you see a new 510 come out in the next couple of years.

Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next