19 Apr 2024, 03:21 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: RV-7 First Flight
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 12:39 

Post Likes: +8018
Aircraft: C-182
Congratulations Chris; great achievement. As pilots, we are in a small group of people who have mastered flight. As a pilot who has built and flown his own airplane, you are in a special category of pilots deserving the respect and admiration of us all.

We have an owner-built RV-7 in our EAA Chapter that I've flown briefly. It will smoke my 520 powered 182P in cruise.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 14:02 

Post Likes: +80
Aircraft: B36TC Turbine Air
Love my RV8. Such a fun plane ride fly!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 14:09 

Post Likes: +8695
Aircraft: Lancair LNC2 - SOLD
Username Protected wrote:
Building your own plane is cool.
I'm glad to hear you say that; All my friends just thought I was weird. I flew it for the first time in 2015.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 14:12 

Post Likes: +3075
Aircraft: 1965 Debonair C33
I think someday I might build an RV 8 and sell my Deb. Not sure.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 14:34 

Post Likes: +5181
Company: Mayo Clinic
Aircraft: Planeless in RST
What an achievement!
Loved the build line tires with the family.
Congratulations!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 14:38 

Post Likes: +4650
Congratulations! I started my build in 2010 and it still has not flown, waiting on paint and wing fitment

You beat me! Enjoy it

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 14:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +826
Company: Ten Bits Ranch
Aircraft: H35, F90, C205, C182
Building your own plane is cool.
I'm glad to hear you say that; All my friends just thought I was weird. I flew it for the first time in 2015.

It is very cool to build your own plane. The independence, knowledge and self determination is impressive. The entire experimental category of planes is one of the coolest things going on in Aviation.

KJ

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 17:51 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Grumman S-2T
Hey Chris...that is Sierra Hotel!

It was great seeing you at the reunion in Sept. Wish I knew you had this project almost complete, looks awesome. I really want to build an 8, this is good motivation.

What airport is that?

Beau

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 20:04 

Post Likes: +1676
Aircraft: Glasair Sportsman
Congratulations, Chris.

As a fellow builder I can sympathize with that incredible rush that comes with the first flight. The nerves, the "what if's", the planning, the waiting for the right moment, the selection of the right ground crew... Then there's that moment when you take a deep breath and push the throttle forward. You thought you were committed when you signed the cheque for the first kit, but that was nothing like the way you know you're committed now. All those years in the garage or basement are finally either going to pay huge dividends or produce a smoking hole.

Then there's that feeling after the flight. I had a big gang around me for my first flight. It was to have been a quiet affair but it didn't turn out that way. Our EAA chapter members turned out in force. Their support was nothing short of incredible. When it was time to fly, the hangar doors just opened - I still have no idea who opened them. Can't remember who helped me push the airplane out. But I do clearly remember all those helping hands magically disappearing from sight as I buckled in - they knew I needed to be 100% concentrating on what I was doing.

Needless to say, when I taxied in after that first flight it was quite a jubilant bunch that greeted me. One of them jokingly asked if I had picked up a bottle of cheap champagne to celebrate. Hell no! After 12 years 2 months and 22 days of gestation this event required a proper celebration with single malt scotch!

After everybody had left I was still feeling like I was up at 10,000 feet. It's hard to believe that after all that hard work, the frustration, the days when you feel like it will never fly... it FLIES and it flies beautifully! That first flight is the third most memorable event in my life, right after holding our newborn child and walking my bride down the aisle.

Here's wishing you many, many hours of fun in the air with your new bird, and maybe nearly as many hours of peaceful reflection on the joys that an airplane crafted by your own hands can bring.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 11:05 

Post Likes: +170
Company: USAF
Aircraft: E35 (SOLD), RV-7
Hey Chris...that is Sierra Hotel!

It was great seeing you at the reunion in Sept. Wish I knew you had this project almost complete, looks awesome. I really want to build an 8, this is good motivation.

What airport is that?

Beau

Hey Beau! It's at KFLY. Come fly with me next time you are in town!

https://mcclernon.smugmug.com/Airplanes/RV-7

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 11:21 

Post Likes: +170
Company: USAF
Aircraft: E35 (SOLD), RV-7
Congratulations, Chris.

As a fellow builder I can sympathize with that incredible rush that comes with the first flight. The nerves, the "what if's", the planning, the waiting for the right moment, the selection of the right ground crew... Then there's that moment when you take a deep breath and push the throttle forward. You thought you were committed when you signed the cheque for the first kit, but that was nothing like the way you know you're committed now. All those years in the garage or basement are finally either going to pay huge dividends or produce a smoking hole.

Then there's that feeling after the flight. I had a big gang around me for my first flight. It was to have been a quiet affair but it didn't turn out that way. Our EAA chapter members turned out in force. Their support was nothing short of incredible. When it was time to fly, the hangar doors just opened - I still have no idea who opened them. Can't remember who helped me push the airplane out. But I do clearly remember all those helping hands magically disappearing from sight as I buckled in - they knew I needed to be 100% concentrating on what I was doing.

Needless to say, when I taxied in after that first flight it was quite a jubilant bunch that greeted me. One of them jokingly asked if I had picked up a bottle of cheap champagne to celebrate. Hell no! After 12 years 2 months and 22 days of gestation this event required a proper celebration with single malt scotch!

After everybody had left I was still feeling like I was up at 10,000 feet. It's hard to believe that after all that hard work, the frustration, the days when you feel like it will never fly... it FLIES and it flies beautifully! That first flight is the third most memorable event in my life, right after holding our newborn child and walking my bride down the aisle.

Here's wishing you many, many hours of fun in the air with your new bird, and maybe nearly as many hours of peaceful reflection on the joys that an airplane crafted by your own hands can bring.

Mark, thanks so much. It was such an amazing day! I did so much preparation and heard so many stories about huge groups coming to "help" -- I kept it very small and every member of my team had a role. Even my 10 year old was responsible for looking for smoke, leaks, etc. As I left the runway my wife said my son was crying. She asked him, "Why are you crying?" "I don't know," wiping the tears from his face. It was such an amazing, emotional day. Then I had to go to work that week, like you, still at 10k feet, checking systems, taking it in.

I don't share this with many people outside of the flying community. Not everybody gets it. Some think we are irresponsible, others don't understand the time and money invested. It's like an old motorcycle saying: "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."

12 hours of testing left until I can really spread her wings...

https://mcclernon.smugmug.com/Airplanes/RV-7

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 18:19 

Post Likes: +1045
Aircraft: 70 A36TN, Build RV8
Awesome Chris - congratulations! Absolutely loved your video.

I have just started an RV-8 build this year and have a long path in front of me. Your video and enthusiasm definitely adds motivation.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 19:43 

Post Likes: +8695
Aircraft: Lancair LNC2 - SOLD
"If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."
:werd:

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2