Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Icon A5
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2019, 19:20 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Username Protected wrote:
The Icon A5 looks awesome. Then I read it has a no-fuel payload of 430 pounds. That's two grown men and 7 gallons of gas.

Is the plan for all the owners to cheat a bit on weight?

Someone tell me how this works out in real life.

Curious what you think looks awesome about the A5? Looks like an awesome traveling machine? Or looks like fun?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2023, 21:50 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: Baron B55
I had a chance to take up an A5 today at Jack Brown's. I gotta say, definitely a fun flying airplane.

Here are my three ups and three downs. The downs have nothing against Icon, more about me.

Ups - 1) Incredibly easy to fly. Love the stick. Hardest part for me was to remember to put the gear up for water landing. That seriously hurt my brain since I'm pretty neurotic about checking gear down on landing. 2) Visibility is amazing. Almost like being in an R22. You can see everything. And with the side windows removed, feels like you're outdoors. 3) Fit and finish is just super. I couldn't get over the heater control. Wish my Baron had that. An actual knob. Plus, a bilge pump in a plane? Just awesome...

Downs - 1) Taxing was painful at first. I have very limited castering nose wheel time (I have about an hour in a Tiger back in 1996). Eventually got the hang of it but initially staying on the yellow brick road sucked. 2) Keeping a good bit of power in for landing on the runway was different. Almost felt like a glassy water landing but on land. That will take me time to get used to. 3) No magneto check was just strange to me. I had to run the checklist a few times to understand what I was doing to check the engine.

All in all, it would be a fun plane to have in the stable. I'll definitely be taking more lessons.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2023, 23:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1578
Company: Roberts Air Services
Aircraft: G35 / Acroduster
The airplane aside, it's a shame what happened to that company which at one time had so much promise. I think it would make a good case-study of how not to run a start up. Oh well. Plenty like them in the history books but I followed this one pretty closely and had high hopes for them and the good, they could have done for general aviation.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2023, 09:35 

Post Likes: +19696
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
The airplane aside, it's a shame what happened to that company which at one time had so much promise. I think it would make a good case-study of how not to run a start up. Oh well. Plenty like them in the history books but I followed this one pretty closely and had high hopes for them and the good, they could have done for general aviation.

You speak as if they’re dead; they’re still in business. Admittedly they are their own worst enemy, but they’re still making airplanes, which is a lot more than can be said for some other promising brands.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2023, 13:00 

WWW  Profile

You speak as if they’re dead; they’re still in business. Admittedly they are their own worst enemy, but they’re still making airplanes, which is a lot more than can be said for some other promising brands.

That is true and I still wish them the very best. I just wish they had lived up to their potential and what they so publicly claimed about themselves. I think it's a little late for that now, oh well.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2023, 13:18 

Post Likes: +10746
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I had a chance to take up an A5 today at Jack Brown's. I gotta say, definitely a fun flying airplane.

JOOC, what did all of this fun cost?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2023, 15:08 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: Baron B55

JOOC, what did all of this fun cost?

I did a solid hour for $300. I thought it was well worth it. Tons of fun.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2023, 20:49 

[I just wish they had lived up to their potential and what they so publicly claimed about themselves.

I think what they claimed was unrealistic. They marketed it like a Jetski, to people with little or no flying experience. If it had actually sold like one, I’m afraid that the resulting carnage would have been worse than their relative lack of success.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 15:26 

Post Likes: +8032
Aircraft: C-182
looks awesome, but holy cow what a dubious history.

google "Icon A5 crash" and make sure you're sitting down. over-priced, and under-performing from what I see.

for half the price you could have an Air-Cam, the safety of 2 motors, and a very good history.

Exactly. The crashes have probably been attributed to inexperienced pilots or cowboys, but I don't think I'd want to have a passenger in one, my weight notwithstanding. ;)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 17:11 

Exactly. The crashes have probably been attributed to inexperienced pilots or cowboys, but I don't think I'd want to have a passenger in one, my weight notwithstanding. ;)

From what I remember, it doesn’t have enough useful load for full fuel and two normal sized people, never mind heavy ones.

I also recall what seemed to be a preponderance of crashes that were the result of Icon company demo pilots being stupid.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 18:39 

WWW  Profile

I also recall what seemed to be a preponderance of crashes that were the result of Icon company demo pilots being stupid.

Their chief engineer Jon Karkow somehow flew one of their new hires into a canyon they couldn't fly themselves out of. A really smart person doing something really stupid. 2 fatalities.

It was a real tragedy for the company and their reputation. The timing was such, that it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. (So-to-speak.)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 23:47 

Post Likes: +947
Aircraft: Bonanza V35
The problem I have with this plane is the price vs the utility. Too slow to be a x-country plane and too small to take waves over 18" or so.

I would rather have a flying RIB wing for $20k. True ultralight with nearly zero maintenance and a lot of utility. After that, I would probably do a SeaRay with a 915is for $125k if I wanted to go faster.

The Icon is cool, but not worth the $ IMO.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 23:54 

Post Likes: +10746
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
The problem I have with this plane is the price vs the utility. Too slow to be a x-country plane and too small to take waves over 18" or so.

I would rather have a flying RIB wing for $20k. True ultralight with nearly zero maintenance and a lot of utility. After that, I would probably do a SeaRay with a 915is for $125k if I wanted to go faster.

What's a "RIB wing"?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 23:58 

Post Likes: +947
Aircraft: Bonanza V35

What's a "RIB wing"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N8kxIO2Dsw

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2023, 08:26 

I think that the bulk of the technical problems stem from an insistence to make it an LSA. If they discarded the weight restriction, raised the HP and structural strength just a bit, they could make it into something more useful. It isn't like it needs to be a Widgeon, it just needs to be able to carry two normal sized people, a couple of weekend bags, and enough gas to go somewhere. Oh, and be able to handle a wave larger than a ripple; say, maybe something like a boat wake. I mean, who'd have thought those might be out there?

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next