banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 10:45 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Buying a Meridian...must-haves, and must-avoids?
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 12:53 

Post Likes: +312
Aircraft: 06 Meridian,SuperCub
Username Protected wrote:
I have a little over 2600 hours in meridians. Most of it being one of the factory 01s that had high gross weight. We bought the airplane with 659 hours on it in 2013 and sold it 22 months later with 2550 hours on it. I would stay away from mmopa if it were me. They have a poor culture when it comes to safety, anti standardized training is my biggest concern. I would use Dick Rochfort for training, I found him to be the most knowledgeable and big on standardized training. I’ve been flying pa46s since 2001 when we got our first Malibu. Wish we never got rid of it. The biggest issue is parts, Aviall is so slow. Everything was 60 days. The good news is there weren’t many parts it needed. We put the 1500 in ours and it’s a great addition now that the kinks are worked out with the 3100 it’s better yet. Our hot section price was 9500, all in. Most don’t fully understand the science of sulfadation and try to go easy on a turbine, while causing more damage. Hence the higher prices on hot sections. The key is to get the itt above 700 and don’t cruise less then that. I found ours was really a 700 mile airplane, we are dc based, so we only made south Florida 2 times nonstop, even with 2 people on board. I was shocked how well the meridian held up to our use and cycles, being it’s not of pc12 or tbm build quality. When it was time for waas and lpv in 2014 I was not a fan of the g500 so I opted to keep the meggits, which performed flawlessly for me, and depicted information better for me, we went with ifds and loved them. I did fly an avidyne plane a fair amount and liked it too, we had a 2010 for a while and I never cared for g1000, the center pedestal makes it even harder to get in and out. I’m certainly willing to talk about my experiences with anyone.
Craig Woodberry

A good post but I must disagree on MMOPA. Not sure when the last time you visited or were a member but there is a very large emphasis on safety and training. Worth every penny of the $250 annual fee if you are considering or already own a PA46.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 13:42 

Post Likes: +3608
Aircraft: Piper M600
I understand what you are saying about MMOPA, but I would just say that is a holdover from old MMOPA. When I was on the board, the thing I worked on the most was getting a buy in for standardization and procedures. I had a lot of help from a very good board. There has been a huge influx of money and resources as well as a board currently staffed by safety conscious types. More stuff rolling out, but as most things in life, something that should take 6 months takes 3 years, but such is the pace of innovation. It is a new culture and well worth the $250/year.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 15:29 

Post Likes: +3
Company: Arete Aviation
Aircraft: Bonanza A36
I wasn't around during the "old" MMOPA, but I can unequivocally say that today's MMOPA is 100% focused on safety. The Safety Committee is made up of dedicated CFI's along with former Shuttle Commander Charlie Precourt and they are doing big things. Over the past year, the Safety Committee has rolled out a new safety program, introduced our first Standard Operating Practices and has a bunch of new safety content (video and online courseware) coming in 2020.

At this year's convention, Patty Wagstaff & her team conducted upset training sessions for our members, and we held a one-day in-depth wx radar course. About a month ago, we held our first-ever nationwide Safety Stand Down event in 7 locations across the country, and an "MMOPA Uncowled" owner-maintenance event in partnership with P&WC and Malibu Aerospace. We also held another in-depth wx radar course last month for those who missed the convention. The next Stand Down and Uncowled events will occur next spring and the convention will be in Tucson, May 27-31.

Finally, the 2nd MMOPA Safety Annual was just published, which contains a PA46 safety scorecard, accident review and lots of great safety content. We also publish a monthly e-newsletter, along with our bi-monthly magazine -- both with safety & operations articles.

Stop by mmopa.com to see for yourself!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 15:31 

Post Likes: +32
Aircraft: PA46 Mirage
I have a little over 2600 hours in meridians. Most of it being one of the factory 01s that had high gross weight. We bought the airplane with 659 hours on it in 2013 and sold it 22 months later with 2550 hours on it. I would stay away from mmopa if it were me. They have a poor culture when it comes to safety, anti standardized training is my biggest concern. I would use Dick Rochfort for training, I found him to be the most knowledgeable and big on standardized training. I’ve been flying pa46s since 2001 when we got our first Malibu. Wish we never got rid of it. The biggest issue is parts, Aviall is so slow. Everything was 60 days. The good news is there weren’t many parts it needed. We put the 1500 in ours and it’s a great addition now that the kinks are worked out with the 3100 it’s better yet. Our hot section price was 9500, all in. Most don’t fully understand the science of sulfadation and try to go easy on a turbine, while causing more damage. Hence the higher prices on hot sections. The key is to get the itt above 700 and don’t cruise less then that. I found ours was really a 700 mile airplane, we are dc based, so we only made south Florida 2 times nonstop, even with 2 people on board. I was shocked how well the meridian held up to our use and cycles, being it’s not of pc12 or tbm build quality. When it was time for waas and lpv in 2014 I was not a fan of the g500 so I opted to keep the meggits, which performed flawlessly for me, and depicted information better for me, we went with ifds and loved them. I did fly an avidyne plane a fair amount and liked it too, we had a 2010 for a while and I never cared for g1000, the center pedestal makes it even harder to get in and out. I’m certainly willing to talk about my experiences with anyone.
Craig Woodberry

I totally disagree about MMOPA and find it to be a very useful resource, particularly for new or prospective PA46 owners. Great group of pilots and owners who are eager to be helpful, and the membership fee is worth every dime - easily paid for in savings from the abundant recommendations re maintenance and best operating practices.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 17:39 

Post Likes: +661
Count me as another very happy member of MMOPA. Dianne and team have been doing a fantastic job.

Last edited on 25 Nov 2019, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 18:00 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
I loved MMOPA, it's an amazing resource. I wish all owner groups were that great.

Not sure what non standard training means from a owners group like MMOPA, they don't do training. I think they do pretty good at helping the PA46 training community be better and safer.

Mike

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 18:31 

Post Likes: +3608
Aircraft: Piper M600
To be fair Michael, wasn’t too many years ago that you would see some pretty crazy stuff on there. If you wanted to know what approach speed to come down the ILS just ask four different instructors, and you might get four different answers. From Top speed to bottom speed you might hear 40 knots difference. No joke. Thankfully, with the newer M-class aircraft, the POH does give more guidance on flying the planes. But still leaves it open to interpretation. Things are coming in line. But it is a pretty active forum with some really bright and interesting people. Dianne as the new executive director has really pushed MMOPA to the next level. :)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 20:38 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
Chuck,

interesting, I guess that was before my time. Everything I experienced from MMOPA was great.

Mike

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 18:14 

Aircraft: C182
Interesting thread... I have been looking at Meridians for a bit. Noticed that Controller now offers an Average feature. Curious that there are actually about 60 listings although the Average page shows 39.

Wonder what the difference is between Ask & Sell price? And I never really understood those Call for Price notations.

Thanks and have a great Labor Day weekend.

Best,

Tom

Attachment:
4B7B4F78-7284-46F7-B2CD-6A23A4A59ECB.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 18:20 

And for Ted...

Did you pull the trigger on this purchase yet? If so, can I see it on my next trip to the ‘burg?

Best,

Tom

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 20:41 

Post Likes: +89
Aircraft: Cessna 414A
Tom, I wish we could do that on your next trip here...but I didn't succeed in buying a Meridian.

For tax reasons, I needed to buy one by December 31. Made offers that I thought were realistic, but none were accepted. At least one is still for sale now, at a lower asking price than I offered.

So I'll turn the question around: Sounds like you might be shopping for a Meridian. May I please have a ride in yours on your next trip here?

With best regards,

Ted

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 13:09 

Post Likes: +1956
.... one is still for sale now, at a lower asking price than I offered....

That'll teach em. Isn't that the way it goes some times. :shrug:

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 14:32 

If you are considering a Meridian and want to get a feel for practical flights, check out the channel , Life in the FL, on YouTube. I find it kind of mesmerizing, similar to the the silent bushcraft videos.

FL in this case refers to Fast Lane as the pilot/owner is a drummer in an Eagles Tribute Band and he flies to various gigs. Very entertaining and gives real world view of flying with schedule considerations. The pilot seems disciplined and would be a good guy to discuss flying over a beer.

There are 12 videos averaging 30 min. or so. Main consideration is routing and weather. Often not clear if there are passengers in the back or how much gear is being carried (although roadies probably transport the bulk of the concert gear.)

Would be great if fuel vs payload trade offs were discussed. There are considerations for extra fuel due to weather even to the point of just returning to base.

FWIW

Best,

Tom

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 15:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1168
Company: Keller Williams Realty
Aircraft: 1967 Bonanza V35
Made offers that I thought were realistic, but none were accepted. At least one is still for sale now, at a lower asking price than I offered.

First offer is always the best....

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 16:11 

Post Likes: +1404
Aircraft: A36
Made offers that I thought were realistic, but none were accepted. At least one is still for sale now, at a lower asking price than I offered.

The seller has presumably learned that he was asking too much previously. Why not revise your offer and submit another?

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next