banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 17:17 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Iridium GO WIFI - anyone actually use it?
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 16:16 

Post Likes: +1819
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
It seems like the device plus a prepaid annual plan is pretty reasonable. Want for text and email - don't care about browsing. Anyone use and have a pirep?

https://www.satphonestore.com/airtime/i ... rates.html

https://www.satphonestore.com/tech-brow ... e-now.html

Post subject: Re: Iridium GO WIFI - anyone actually use it?
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 18:51 

Post Likes: +1251
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P
I use it for text and some voice. Excellent for texts, they are sent quickly. I had the Garmin in reach and spot and they always seemed so slow to receive. I haven’t set it up for email and most probably won’t for what I need. Nice thing is anyone in the plane can logon and send texts or make calls if needed. I bought an external antenna and set it on the dash, but many people just set the unit on the dash. Has a SOS feature if needed. You connect via WIFI to the unit with your phone, so your headset can connect to you phone via Bluetooth.

I have the basic plan from blue cosmos and it’s $57 a month. Text and calls are extra.

Kevin

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 19:00 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: P210 SE, C182
I own a remote fishing camp and had a customer rent one for a trip up there. He told me that the email function was completely unusable - wouldn't download emails. I didnt experience it myself, its just what he told me. Don't know about texts.

garth

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 19:09 

Post Likes: +13064
Aircraft: PC12NG
Username Protected wrote:
I use it for text and some voice. Excellent for texts, they are sent quickly. I had the Garmin in reach and spot and they always seemed so slow to receive. I haven’t set it up for email and most probably won’t for what I need. Nice thing is anyone in the plane can logon and send texts or make calls if needed. I bought an external antenna and set it on the dash, but many people just set the unit on the dash. Has a SOS feature if needed. You connect via WIFI to the unit with your phone, so your headset can connect to you phone via Bluetooth.

I have the basic plan from blue cosmos and it’s $57 a month. Text and calls are extra.

Kevin

You still need to use their special app to send and receive texts? You can’t just use iMessage can you?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 20:11 

Post Likes: +697
Aircraft: Malibu,Husky,TBM7C2

Kevin

You still need to use their special app to send and receive texts? You can’t just use iMessage can you?

The iphone connects to inreach via bluetooth. I find it seamless and intuitive. You can set the frequency of the handshake to more or less often. Yes you communicate thru their app. Cost about 13 bucks per month and .50 per text after an allotment.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 20:14 

Post Likes: +1819
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
So does the text show up from your phone number to the recipient or something else?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 20:24 

Post Likes: +13064
Aircraft: PC12NG
My main motivation for this is to kill time while flying. If I can’t be sending lots of texts to lots of people it won’t be killing time for me.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 20:27 

Post Likes: +578
Aircraft: 1983 Bonanza A36TN
Anyone else notice that the annual Iridium plans are a worse deal by $0.60/yr than the monthlies?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 20:31 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
How well does the calling feature work? Cost?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 20:54 

So does the text show up from your phone number to the recipient or something else?

Mine comes thru as an sms text from a 310 area code phone number which my wife associates with my contact info. Others I just let know it is me.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 21:15 

Post Likes: +660

Mine comes thru as an sms text from a 310 area code phone number which my wife associates with my contact info. Others I just let know it is me.

Paul, you're referring to the inreach, correct? I think we'd like to know how the Iridium Go sends and receives texts. I have the inreach and find that the speed it sends and receives is too slow. It takes about 20 minutes each way.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 00:45 

Post Likes: +1251
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P

Kevin

Jason,
You are correct, you use the iridium app. It does access your contacts, but you have to put the international +1 in front. You can get a US phone number for a few more dollars a year if that matters to you.
Kevin

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 05:49 

"Paul, you're referring to the inreach, correct? I think we'd like to know how the Iridium Go sends and receives texts. I have the inreach and find that the speed it sends and receives is too slow. It takes about 20 minutes each way."

Correct the Inreach SE+. You can set the message listen interval to 5 minutes if I recall.(the device is in my plane) That is adequate for me. Your mileage may vary.

I keep the Inreach for another reason, its SOS feature. Garmin has a call center that can direct help to your location if needed. You can text your situation and be much more explicit than a PLB ping would be.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 11:16 

Post Likes: +2473
Aircraft: 210
I do texting and email (including small attachments) using the Iridium Extreme and AxcessPoint WiFi device. Two things to mention: (1) the newly commissioned Iridium Next constellation has really improved the signal strength my phone is getting. Almost always a solid 5 bars and the voice quality seems to be better. (2) The developers of the Mail & Web and Iridium Go apps have been having some issues with versions of 12 and 13 of iOS which they are trying to resolve. I am presently not able to connect using my iPad to the Iridium system. Mail & Web on my Android phone is working OK.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 12:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9520
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
Correct the Inreach SE+. You can set the message listen interval to 5 minutes if I recall.(the device is in my plane) That is adequate for me. Your mileage may vary.

You can also force it to check for messages at any time.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next