19 Apr 2024, 21:49 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Beaver owners?
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 09:38 

Post Likes: +1677
Aircraft: Glasair Sportsman
A pre-buy by an experienced Beaver shop is highly recommended. Was involved in a Beaver on floats. Pulled it into the hangar late in the year once the float season was done. Yup, that meant it was time for the annual inspection...

By the time we were done we found we had some pretty serious corrosion in the belly. That took all winter and some of the spring to fix, at a cost of about $80K. We had known the engine needed TLC so pulled it only to find wear beyond limits, necessitating overhaul.

That was a VERY expensive annual inspection. Could have bought a nice 185 on floats for that kind of cash!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 09:37 

Post Likes: +18
Aircraft: Debonair, A36
I have been hard on the research lately and have spoken to some great folks with projects that fit in my budget. It is wild to hear how these guys reskin these things like it’s no big deal, but I guess a life of salt water landings results in that. It has been exciting and seems like it will a fun project to get completed.

Does anyone have any info on importing and plane in pieces from Canada to the US and how to get registered?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020, 04:42 

Post Likes: +22
Company: RCAF
Aircraft: Sikorsky S61
Adam, I owned Beaver #86 after pulling it out of a barn (literally) in the Canadian prairies. Massive rebuild, so we kept the plane on wheels during and after, even though it came with Edo 6470s (Norseman floats - simply enormous!). Loved flying it as a tail-dragger.

I'll tell you "things I wish I knew before I bought a Beaver" and recommend some places that can help you along. Also, go to www.dhc-2.com to see the de facto registry of the airframes. This site is lovingly maintained by Neil Aird, and was very valuable in helping me sell our aircraft.

Corrosion in the belly - an area known as the birdcage - will tell you about prior life. Tails as well, with a couple ADs having to do with inspections back there. Mine had been a crop-sprayer at one point (a top-dresser, in Australian parlance), so some other sheet metal issues on the top of the fuselage behind the wings and also in the rear floor needed to be re-skinned. The planes were really well made, but it was all that kind of stuff (opening a hole here, and doing a poor job of covering it back up again...) that made for the most of work.

After bouncing between less-than-reputable firms, we took the plane to Sealand Aviation in Campbell River. Simply brilliant, and they have integrity. They'll get their share, but they charge what they're worth. The work they did (and their paint!) is how I ultimately sold the aircraft. I don't know about Kenmore and Wipaire (no experience with them), but they turn out good looking planes.

Wish I knew? How about a 48' wing - that's a pain to find a hangar for. The differences in early-vs-late serials is mostly weight and panel design (smaller panel on early marks). Later aircraft tended to get heavier after the US Army contract, so I'm told, and I had a very light model, but would have preferred the skylights of the L20s.

A group called ASAP Avionics turns out the Beaver re-wiring kit. This was handy as there was plenty of patch-work wiring, and this makes as clean as it can get. Lastly, plenty of machines have desirable mods like moving the tach/boost gauges above the throttle quadrant (more sense than looking down during takeoff); moving the battery forward; switching generator for Jasco alternator, etc., but the have not done the proper paperwork (i.e., no STCs). I spent lots of money on paperwork.

I'd get in touch with Neil via his website as he knows where all the Beavers are (he had info about a former Fort Rucker machine sitting in a sea container a few years ago).

Good luck, and reach out with any questions!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020, 05:20 

Post Likes: +367
Aircraft: Bonanza 36
It is a good time time to buy a Beaver. A lot of the fly in business is gone with the advent of ATVs and whatever business is left has become insurance prohibitive. There are a lot of them in the north but a set of wheels might be hard to find.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020, 23:31 

Post Likes: +19
Aircraft: citabria
Don’t know much about maintaining one, but I flew one on wheels to Alaska and back in the 1980s. What a fine airplane, such sweet, ball-bearing controls. Relatively easy to fly taildragger. Easy to wheel land or 3 point. Anything past half flaps droops ailerons, too. Will land reasonably short, but remember, it weighs 5000lbs. Ailerons are not nearly as effective when drooped. Not fast, maybe 90-95kts on 18-21gph, but wil carry 6 fat people. Easy to service, too. You can add oil inflight, (the oil cap is on the floor near the control column and the 3 fuel tanks are conveniently located just outside the captains door and under the wing-nice if it’s raining. Would love to own one.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 11:03 

Post Likes: +116
Aircraft: DGA-15P, C140A
Tip on pulling the oil screen:

Hold a gallon Ziploc bag just under the screen as you’re unscrewing it. It will catch the oil. There’s about a pint of oil in there so a gallon bag is overkill.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 17:27 

Post Likes: +12437
Aircraft: C182
A Beaver is at the heart of the saddest "Missed it by THAT much" story I've ever had.

A year ago I hear from a fellow I know. He does maintenance work on National Guard and oil company helicopters. The oil company he works for was getting out of fixed wing planes, as well as selling some of its helicopters. Really dumping them.

They had a Beaver they were selling. I was number two on the list. :(

A several months long story, but the bottom line is that I missed out.

An immaculate Beaver. On amphip floats. WITH A TURBINE! Maintained with an open check book by a major oil company.

$350,000.

:bang:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 21:50 

Post Likes: +707
Company: LOCO Aviation, LLC
Aircraft: BE20, BE58, C310R
Beavers and Bushes. This thread has my attention

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 11:02 

Post Likes: +8
Username Protected wrote:
I have been hard on the research lately and have spoken to some great folks with projects that fit in my budget. It is wild to hear how these guys reskin these things like it’s no big deal, but I guess a life of salt water landings results in that. It has been exciting and seems like it will a fun project to get completed.

Does anyone have any info on importing and plane in pieces from Canada to the US and how to get registered?

Adam, I know it’s been half a year since you posted all this but I just came across it. I have been working on a beaver project for a few years now. I would be happy to share what I’ve learned about parts sourcing, project management for this specific airplane etc. Give me a call! 360-477-2615

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 22:02 

Post Likes: +3425
Aircraft: B17,18,24,25,29,58,
Beavers and Bushes. This thread has my attention

Over a considerable period of time I was associated with a few beavers that I thought I owned. Official government records prove I was wrong.

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 11:12 

Post Likes: +18
Aircraft: Debonair, A36

Adam, I know it’s been half a year since you posted all this but I just came across it. I have been working on a beaver project for a few years now. I would be happy to share what I’ve learned about parts sourcing, project management for this specific airplane etc. Give me a call! 360-477-2615

Daniel,

I have not given up on the beaver build. I am working on an experimental cub build now and continuing to do my research on the beaver. I have found some fuselages and parts but have not pulled the trigger on anything yet. I will give you a call this week and see if you can lend me some wisdom on the project.

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 20:41 

Post Likes: +110
My favourite airplane of all time.

My 185 is about 80% of a dream come true.

Same, although putting the 185 at 95%

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 10:53 

Post Likes: +256
Question to beaver flyers.... I have been watching several videos of beavers taking off. I noticed they reduce RPM’s as soon as wheels are off. Why so quick after takeoff?

Rgs
Patrick

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 11:03 

Post Likes: +12477
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
Because -985s with long props are really noisy and really expensive.

That is normal and neighborly.

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 06:58 

Post Likes: +449
Aircraft: CE525,PA31
it was impossible to cure ALL the oil seeps leaks and drips...

Like Any British car, you know when it’s out of oil...when it stops dripping on the driveway.

Andrew

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next