Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Help Match a Plane to this Mission
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 12:38 

Post Likes: +181
Aircraft: Mooney Acclaim
A few more things to consider:

1) money is stupid cheap, at least here in USA: 15 year mortgage @ 3.25% So for every $100,000 financed, assuming you fly 150 hours per year ( didn't do the math on your planned trip x frequency). you're adding only $21 / hour, and that may be a pre-tax $21, depending on your situation. So at least in US, minimizing total cost of ownership (TCO) will often favor CAPEX over OPEX - if you have access to credit.

2)The Mooney is a bad choice if you want non-stop. It just won't work. And....

3) this is a long trip for strapped-in, not club seated, PAX. Most of the planes you're talking about are at best 175ish knot block airspeed. Throw in a 30 knot headwind, and that becomes a 4.5 hour endurance test.

4) G2 Cirri are not FIKI. In the Cirrus, the difference between FIKI and non are huge. One works, and the other protects against bird strikes.

5) PA46 models would suit the mission well if you can swing the CAPEX. Not sure if Jetprop would have the UL, though. As suggested by others, join MMOPA if you're getting serious about PA46's.

6) T210 / P210, especially with the Vitatoe conversion would work well, but PAX are strapped in.

7) turbines are awesome, but insurance would be a challenge. Probably same for pressurized PA46. It may be more an issue of availability rather than cost for insurance - there are several experts on this forum who could offer a current view.

If there is a good midway fuel stop, you could do much better in TCO/PAX comfort than trying to make it a non-stop trip - especially westbound. For sure you would open up the list of suitable options. Don't rule out the Mooney without sitting in one.

Building a couple hundred hours of retract time would probably go a long way towards making you insurable in a pressurized or turbine plane. (or a pressurized, multiengine, turbine plane, for that matter).

Enjoy the journey!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 16:21 

Post Likes: +7940
Company: Minister of Pith
Aircraft: Piper PA28/140
Username Protected wrote:
I like 340s for this also, but they tend to be more expensive than 421s for some reason.

Probably because they'll fit in a T, burn somewhat less fuel, don't have the geared engine stigma, and they're under the BM limit of 6000lb.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 16:23 

Post Likes: +7940
Company: Minister of Pith
Aircraft: Piper PA28/140

1) money is stupid cheap, at least here in USA: 15 year mortgage @ 3.25%

You talking about a HELOC? Otherwise, I'd like to know where you're getting that rate on an aircraft loan! :D

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 18:36 

Post Likes: +181
Aircraft: Mooney Acclaim

1) money is stupid cheap, at least here in USA: 15 year mortgage @ 3.25%

You talking about a HELOC? Otherwise, I'd like to know where you're getting that rate on an aircraft loan! :D

Well, cash out mortgage, actually.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 19:56 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
Old is not necessarily bad. In some ways, they can be better than a newer airplane. 1985 is the end of the golden era, so that cuts out a LOT of planes.

For $150K, you can be talking Cessna 421B from the 1970s.

Pressurized comfort, quiet, above the weather, fast enough, a real traveling airplane.

I'd want something with deice capability in your region...

https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1497988

Yup. $150K seems to buy a lot of airplane these days.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 21:38 

Post Likes: +10
Building a couple hundred hours of retract time would probably go a long way towards making you insurable in a pressurized or turbine plane. (or a pressurized, multiengine, turbine plane, for that matter).

I agree once again. I think high performance/complex time is what I really should be worrying about. More so then flying into flying ice cubes. If i got a little M20J or something along those lines and added a few hundred hours, I would be a lot closer to buying that TBM in a few years and could think about know ice maybe more then.

My mission is probably over my head really. :whiteflag:

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019, 15:57 

Post Likes: +86
Aircraft: C421B MU2-40 Solitai
Ray
Your mission is not out of reach. When I had 300 hours, I bought a C320 which is a turbocharged twin Cessna. I only had 15 hours of twin time. After some good training, I was quickly comfortable in that plane. If you keep up the training, and stay away from the limits of the plane (too heavy and too hot) a twin is an easy plane to fly. The C320 is older than you want, but a 310R would fit your needs very well. The mx is higher but a T310R would be my choice because I prefer the climb capabilities of turbos. After the C320, I went to a C414 and then a C421B. I found that they are not any more difficult to fly than the C320 and only slightly higher mx. My point is, if you can get insurance and find a good 414 or 421, go ahead and make the jump. You will love the size, a/c, speed and pressurization of the 414 or 421. (I prefered my 421B) Just fly it conservatively!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019, 18:51 

Post Likes: +10
Ray
Your mission is not out of reach. When I had 300 hours, I bought a C320 which is a turbocharged twin Cessna. I only had 15 hours of twin time. After some good training, I was quickly comfortable in that plane. If you keep up the training, and stay away from the limits of the plane (too heavy and too hot) a twin is an easy plane to fly. The C320 is older than you want, but a 310R would fit your needs very well. The mx is higher but a T310R would be my choice because I prefer the climb capabilities of turbos. After the C320, I went to a C414 and then a C421B. I found that they are not any more difficult to fly than the C320 and only slightly higher mx. My point is, if you can get insurance and find a good 414 or 421, go ahead and make the jump. You will love the size, a/c, speed and pressurization of the 414 or 421. (I prefered my 421B) Just fly it conservatively!

I love your confidence Sanford! :thumbup:

Days are getting shorter and cooler here in great white north already. I think this winter will be a good time to find some planes to sit and and possible take a short flight, then look to buy in the spring/summer.

You all have given me a lot to think about, Thanks!
:cheers:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 12:03 

Post Likes: +1677
Aircraft: Glasair Sportsman
Ray - your mission is absolutely NOT out of your reach. Absolutely not.

You're looking at it now as one great big ball of wax, an elephant, as it were. How does one eat an elephant? By taking a lot of small bites!

Right now while the weather is good, get in that 172 and fly the mission. Book a few days to do it. Make a couple of stops (Trois Rivieres QC, then Grand Falls NB as examples). Don't take long a load of expectations (including a load of passengers with expectations). Take along an experienced pilot friend if it will help. Just do the trip, figure out what it's like in the summer, then it will give you a much better mindset to consider the hardware in which you would be comfortable doing it in winter and/or something other than good VFR.

BTW I was initially quite nervous about flying across the totally uninhabited northern corner of Maine. Now it's my favorite part of the flight when going down to New Brunswick. Last trip I got to mix it up a little bit with a B-52 doing practice approaches into the former SAC base at Loring, Maine - made for some good fun. It's not often you get to coordinate VFR maneuvers with a BUFF like that!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 12:53 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501

BTW I was initially quite nervous about flying across the totally uninhabited northern corner of Maine. Now it's my favorite part of the flight when going down to New Brunswick.

Same here...for an Ontario boy I always find it cool when I'm handed off the Boston Center.

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6