banner
banner

29 Mar 2024, 08:56 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 43  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the Skywagon
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 01:04 

Post Likes: +11
Aircraft: C180K C140 G550
I lean toward the first option. Looks cleaner, but then I'm all steam in mine....

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 04:18 

Post Likes: +821
Aircraft: Cessna A185F
No way I’d move the gear switch down. Mine is where you’re is now. It’s the one that would only take a small distraction to cause a big oops. Needs to be front and centre.

Autopilot control to the right of it. Mostly so you can hang a couple fingers on the glare shield and operate it with the remainder.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 10:02 

Post Likes: +361
Aircraft: 1977 Bonanza V35B
Username Protected wrote:
Mark
Leave it alone. Sell plane as is to me. Find one and make it what you want and have no downtime cause I’ll wait for current hangar(n) queen. ;)

Ps #1

That's a perfect solution. Then Chuck can sell the 195 to me, repeating the cycle!

And I’ll take the 185 from Stuart!

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 11:01 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
Thoughts?

Do something unique. GI-275's with EIS 6 pack.

Lose the JPI and smaller Aera. GNC225 gets replaced with a GNC355. A/P controller goes in center stack. Flush mount the larger Aera.

Recut lower panels to clean up circuit breaker placement and relocate ELT control to upper right panel.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 11:16 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10963
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
Thoughts?

Do something unique. GI-275's with EIS 6 pack.

Lose the JPI and smaller Aera. GNC225 gets replaced with a GNC355. A/P controller goes in center stack. Flush mount the larger Aera.

Recut lower panels to clean up circuit breaker placement and relocate ELT control to upper right panel.

I like the CB placement idea. Good idea.

I want synthetic vision. That way all four of my aircraft will have that feature.

I do plan on putting the AP on the top of the center stack and removing the 660.

The 796 is mounted so that I can see and operate it more easily.
"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 12:55 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
I like the CB placement idea. Good idea.

I want synthetic vision. That way all four of my aircraft will have that feature.

I do plan on putting the AP on the top of the center stack and removing the 660.

The 796 is mounted so that I can see and operate it more easily.

SVT is available on the 275. Just saying.

Also, don't gloss over replacing the 660 and 255 with a single 355...it would look super clean and consistent below that 750.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 11:05 

Post Likes: +702
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
Mark,
I would center the G3X and put the G5 on the right same as on the panel pic below.
You also want the GFC500 controls on the top of the stack.
In that panel you have lots of room to put your amphib gear lever.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020, 20:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +375
Company: FractionalLaw.com
Aircraft: King Air 350
One of our family vacation stops earlier this month was Marquette, MI. We really enjoyed our time on Lake Superior, especially a floatplane ride from the Iceman in his C-185. It was my first floatplane ride ever. The landing was remarkably smooth - exactly as one might dream it to be: settling on a cushion of calm water. Water taxiing and takeoff are more in the domain of brute strength - and the 185 certainly has plenty of power.

If flying is an exercise in energy management, then docking a floatplane is the pinnacle of that endeavor. Judging wind, current, and momentum, Mark nailed it. He cut the engine at just the right time so that we drifted into the dock at the perfect approach angle and arrived as our energy dwindled to zero. He made it look easy. Twice.

Marc picked up my son and me at a dock near our hotel - adjacent to an old dock used to load iron ore into ships. Marc gave us a tour of the local shoreline, and then took us inland to overfly the ore mines. It was fascinating to see the mines from above: their expanse, depth, and massive equipment. This is where the steelmaking process begins.

My wife was skeptical when I told her I had an internet BeechTalk "friend" in Marquette. She believes me now.

Thanks again Mark.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020, 22:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10963
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
One of our family vacation stops earlier this month was Marquette, MI. We really enjoyed our time on Lake Superior, especially a floatplane ride from the Iceman in his C-185. It was my first floatplane ride ever. The landing was remarkably smooth - exactly as one might dream it to be: settling on a cushion of calm water. Water taxiing and takeoff are more in the domain of brute strength - and the 185 certainly has plenty of power.

If flying is an exercise in energy management, then docking a floatplane is the pinnacle of that endeavor. Judging wind, current, and momentum, Mark nailed it. He cut the engine at just the right time so that we drifted into the dock at the perfect approach angle and arrived as our energy dwindled to zero. He made it look easy. Twice.

Marc picked up my son and me at a dock near our hotel - adjacent to an old dock used to load iron ore into ships. Marc gave us a tour of the local shoreline, and then took us inland to overfly the ore mines. It was fascinating to see the mines from above: their expanse, depth, and massive equipment. This is where the steelmaking process begins.

My wife was skeptical when I told her I had an internet BeechTalk "friend" in Marquette. She believes me now.

Thanks again Mark.

The pleasure was all mine. Glad you enjoyed our clean cool,air and water. From the ground and the air. Next up...”.helicopter”

Very nice king air 350. Super duper king air. Your daughter has the bug I think.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 01:46 

I’ve asked for an “inhibit terrain” dedicated external switch. No first hand experience with the GTN, but I expect it would protest loudly about terrain hazards during any off-airport landing. Mostly lakes, both liquid and frozen, but have also landed in farm fields and unpublished airstrips.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 19:39 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +375
Company: FractionalLaw.com
Aircraft: King Air 350
Mark,

My daughter is interested in airplanes. She reads the checklists and tunes the radios. She was disappointed that she didn't feel up to a floatplane ride. She used good judgment to scrub despite her eagerness to fly.

Here she is in her Fontainebleu FBO shirt (Opa-Locka).

Best,

Dan

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 20:58 

Post Likes: +11355
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Operational question:

When you have two or three passengers, which seats do you put them in and how do you load them?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 01:15 

My third row seat is removed. Semi permanently. Seatbelts, brackets, tagged and bagged. I don’t actually own a third row seat either.

I participate a lot in COPA for kids, the Canadian version of Young Eagles.

With the amphibs installed, it’s a one passenger plane with a combination of gear and fuel. With fuel at a safe minimum for local ride hopping, I’m good for two passengers, or one adult and a couple kids, or three kids.

Three passengers, we’re full. I usually put the biggest in the front, but there are exceptions. Sometimes the most keen gets the front seat. Sometimes a mom gets relegated to the rear seat with a nervous child, while another sibling rides up front. CG is seldom a challenge.

Two passengers, they can pretty well decide who sits in front by being the first to shout shotgun.

All that said, pretty moms seem to be very quick on the draw when I’m the judge of who called shotgun first. :thumbup:

On wheels or skis, useful load shoots up. Passengers can sit where they like. Really hard to get outside Of weight or CG limits. Particularly large passengers are obvious, and they’ll have to be up front just so I don’t have to do the math or guess actual weights.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 06:55 

Post Likes: +11355
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Sorry; I wasn’t clear. I mean what do you do about the actual mechanics of loading people? It seems everyone I know has bad knees or hips. I can put such a one in the back, loading her first. But then the front seat travel is limited, meaning whoever rides in front has to be pretty flexible to get a leg in front of the seat. Loading the front seat presents a different set of challenges. Then there’s unloading. . . .

It’s easy, of course, when there are children involved. But I spent a large part of last week as a great-grandma hauler.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 09:41 

Ah. Loading order. Front seat passenger first. Then slide the loaded front seat as near the panel as I can considering knees, then load the rear. I provide the muscle to move the seat while standing outside. If I have a less nimble front seater I can load them first, and rear seaters can shuffle in from my side after the passenger seat is locked. I climb in last.

I’ve contemplated buying a two step plastic stool for my mom to get in and out, but at 78, she’s not ready for that yet. She was still climbing up and down the floats unassisted last year!

Reply to topic  [ 631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 43  Next