banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 18:27 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the Skywagon
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2022, 22:11 

Post Likes: +203
Aircraft: Cessna 180A
Username Protected wrote:
First time into this strip. The Skywagon did not disappoint.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/P2IBaVgx5Zg[/youtube]

Beautiful scenery!!! How long is that "runway"? How high is it?

Rgs,
Patrick

I believe it sits at 400 feet. I took a google earth measurement (attached). The first 200 feet of runway is out of play due to the curve. I set it down right where the runway makes its first turn. It seems to slope slightly uphill landing south. You can land/takeoff the other direction and good around available both ways as well.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2022, 16:37 

Post Likes: +146
Aircraft: A185F
Are the attached speed tables for TAS in cruise what you are looking for?

Andy

For a 185F, does anyone have a table ( cant find one in my POH) that indicates what the indicated airspeed should be in the different altitudes and power settings?

Thanks,

Patrick.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2022, 21:27 

Post Likes: +256
Andy,

Thank you. Those charts I have in my POH. I some other planes I have flown there are some performance charts that give guidance as to what your IAS (indicated airspeed) should be at different altitudes and power settings.

Thanks!

Patrick

For a 185F, does anyone have a table ( cant find one in my POH) that indicates what the indicated airspeed should be in the different altitudes and power settings?

Thanks,

Patrick.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2022, 14:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10962
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
Did a TW recurrent with Leigh Smith, the Skywagon Whisperer. Exhausting but well worth the butt kicking. If you can get on his calendar you should. Day one we had 20 knot crosswinds to the turf runway ar KOXI. This video shows one of my landings where i learned the importance of keeping the yoke all away back after landing. You can see i was bouncing because I wasnt aft enough. On departure, Leigh pulled the mixture and said land it. I turned left INTO the wind vs landing straight ahead where i would have had to wrestle with the crosswind. Never had to land off airport for real in a training scenario. Did it three more times. Of course all randomly. Stinker :lol:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/LHDNgfgkSzQ[/youtube]

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 07:22 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Mark,
Congrats on making such good choices in training. Gotta say you're a glutton for punishment. Well done.

PS; Guess I need to ask Stu if I could borrow a tail dragger and mistreat a Tshirt too.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 09:09 

Post Likes: +4354
Aircraft: 182, A36TC
Did a TW recurrent with Leigh Smith, the Skywagon Whisperer. Exhausting but well worth the butt kicking. If you can get on his calendar you should. Day one we had 20 knot crosswinds to the turf runway ar KOXI. This video shows one of my landings where i learned the importance of keeping the yoke all away back after landing. You can see i was bouncing because I wasnt aft enough. On departure, Leigh pulled the mixture and said land it. I turned left INTO the wind vs landing straight ahead where i would have had to wrestle with the crosswind. Never had to land off airport for real in a training scenario. Did it three more times. Of course all randomly. Stinker :lol:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/LHDNgfgkSzQ[/youtube]

Nice video. I thought that was the communist ER doc flying? Did you ever find the Stalin sticker I put on the plane?

Ryan Holt CFI

"Paranoia and PTSD are requirements not diseases"

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 12:26 

Post Likes: +11353
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Time for a quick Skywagon poll:

What is the maximum direct crosswind you’ll land a Skywagon in comfortably?

If you want to comment on how you do it, have at it. But I’m mostly looking for a number.

I’ll go first, so no one is intimidated when the liars show up with claims of 50-knot regularity.

Less than 5 is harder than 5-10. 10 gets my attention. More than 10 is hard. Somewhere before 15 I’m either staying on the ground or wishing I had. Lately, I’ve been using 20* flaps with significant crosswinds. Can’t say I can tell a difference. Always wheel landings for improved visibility.

Planning to get together with Leigh again after my annual is over which, unfortunately, looks like it might be a while….

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 12:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1781
Company: D&M Leasing Houston
Aircraft: CitationV/C180
I am a newbie to the 180. I bought mine last December and it's been down since the end of March. I replaced the gear legs with titanium, rebuilt the tail spar, replaced the engine mount and did a firewall forward overhaul. I added a JPI930 engine monitor, remote oil filter and a ton of other little things to make the plane right. I trained with Leigh and got fairly comfortable with the plane but alas, I fear I will be back to square one when I get it back. Hopefully it'll be this month. I am going to fly the piss out of it when I get it back. I can't wait to post videos of my bounced landings! :D

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 13:32 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Stu
Direct steady X wind in the 185: Calm winds and I'm a cat on a hot tin roof in the tail draggers. :D In answer to your question above 10kts and I'm paying attention. 13-15 would be my preferred limit from the left side. Might push them a little higher if from the right side. The above and your numbers I'd guess were intended for pavement. I never practiced higher winds in the 185.

If there are gusts above that then it is time to find a different rwy or airport for me. Leigh might help me get comfortable with different numbers, but taxiing can become difficult above that too. Can't wait to hear how big a weenie I am, Stu.

Amazing the difference in a nose wheel 28G38 direct in a C182 practicing for PPL.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 13:33 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5715
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28

What is the maximum direct crosswind you’ll land a Skywagon in comfortably?

If you want to comment on how you do it, have at it. But I’m mostly looking for a number.

I’ll go first, so no one is intimidated when the liars show up with claims of 50-knot regularity.

Less than 5 is harder than 5-10. 10 gets my attention. More than 10 is hard. Somewhere before 15 I’m either staying on the ground or wishing I had. Lately, I’ve been using 20* flaps with significant crosswinds. Can’t say I can tell a difference. Always wheel landings for improved visibility.

Planning to get together with Leigh again after my annual is over which, unfortunately, looks like it might be a while….

Stuart, I’m curious to know why 5 knots seems harder to you. (I’m not arguing, just asking.) Is it Skywagon specific, or do you think the same in other taildraggers?

When I was getting my tail wheel sign off in a Champ, we were out on a really blustery day. Wind was probably 17 knots total, a little gusty, and quartering the runway. Crosswind component was probably 10 or 12 knots, and I was working my butt off to get 5 decent landings. Then the instructor took over and lined up on a runway with a direct crosswind. He could just barely hold the track straight.

He made it clear that it was a demonstration, not training, and added “I don’t fly a taildragger in more than 10 knots of wind unless someone’s paying me.”

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 15:42 

Post Likes: +11353
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Stuart, I’m curious to know why 5 knots seems harder to you.

Less than 5 knots is harder than 5-10 because you can’t tell where it’s coming from. Chuck got it right; prancing around on the pedals. Sailboats are more stable than power boats because of the counteracting forces above and below the waterline. Crosswinds vs light and variable is the same idea.

Meanwhile, I might be looking at cylinder work. At least this is a good time of year for it!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2022, 15:48 

Post Likes: +3066
Aircraft: 1965 Debonair C33
I used to fly jumpers in a C185. Of course they didn’t car about crosswinds.

On pavement I would go over 10 but not by much.

On grass, on takeoff, if I could taxi I was going to takeoff, drop the jumpers and land. Regardless of the winds.

If I couldn’t taxi, I shut down and the jumpers would help me push it back to the tie down.

I never travelled much where I had to study winds at a destination.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2022, 11:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5715
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
Stuart, I’m curious to know why 5 knots seems harder to you.

Less than 5 knots is harder than 5-10 because you can’t tell where it’s coming from. Chuck got it right; prancing around on the pedals.

Aha, I get what you're saying. I'm not sure I ever noticed that distinction, but about 90% of my landings were on grass at airports with trees nearby that made any wind a bit swirly.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2022, 14:23 

Post Likes: +146
Aircraft: A185F
In response to Stuart, I have the RStol kit and wouldn't go past 15 kts, and 10 kts crosswind is enough to make for problems. There is a discussion on Facebook in the "Cessna 180/185" group on this topic.

Andy

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2022, 19:39 

Post Likes: +110

More than 10 is hard. Somewhere before 15 I’m either staying on the ground or wishing I had. Lately, I’ve been using 20* flaps with significant crosswinds. Can’t say I can tell a difference. Always wheel landings for improved visibility..

I'd say this represents me as far as wind. I'm at 40 degrees flaps 95% of the time with a steep stable approach, and been more and more opting for 3 point landings in all wind.

Reply to topic  [ 631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next