banner

23 Apr 2024, 23:08 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Don't miss this gem of a 210
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019, 09:00 

Post Likes: +40
If that were the case, why would the broker bother taking the listing? It only makes the broker look bad.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019, 09:52 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Username Protected wrote:
If that were the case, why would the broker bother taking the listing? It only makes the broker look bad.

Broker appears to primarily handle non-aviation items. Probably a favor to someone

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019, 12:31 

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft

Now this one just came on the market at the same price. Hard time choosing between them

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 01:10 

Post Likes: +17
Aircraft: Cessna 210H
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=CESSNA&model=210M&listing_id=2357639&s-type=aircraft

Now this one just came on the market at the same price. Hard time choosing between them

I see the pun! :-)
It's actually not a bad looking bird but, the engine is run out and has old avionics, deferred maintenance...possibly? Sounds like major hail damage if all of the control surfaces were replaced/re-skinned...

The owner in the original post if very delusional if he actually thinks he will get anywhere close to what they are asking! That bird would take another $50k or more for me to feel comfortable even taxiing it off the ramp!!! What a great shame to let such a venerable bird erode to that level!!!

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 08:05 

Post Likes: +1267
Aircraft: Cessna 172
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=CESSNA&model=210M&listing_id=2357639&s-type=aircraft

I see the pun! :-)
It's actually not a bad looking bird but, the engine is run out and has old avionics, deferred maintenance...possibly? Sounds like major hail damage if all of the control surfaces were replaced/re-skinned...

The owner in the original post if very delusional if he actually thinks he will get anywhere close to what they are asking! That bird would take another $50k or more for me to feel comfortable even taxiing it off the ramp!!! What a great shame to let such a venerable bird erode to that level!!!

A significant portion of the fleet is in similar circumstances. I see a lot of For Sale ads for airplanes with high time engines, legacy avionics, fair to poor (sometimes original, still) paint and interior and the seller is trying to get good money for them. Any buyer who knows the score is going to add up the bills, not to mention the time and aggravation involved with correcting all the deficiencies, and walk away.

The sellers along with all the previous owners effectively used up the airplane and now they want someone to bail them out plus expect them to resurrect the airplane. Essentially, they want the buyer to pay for all the previous owner’s flying. Good luck with that.

When nobody wants to spend their money to keep up the airplane, it steadily diminishes in value. You can spend your money to maintain the airplane, upgrading it along the way and preserving its value or you can take your financial hit when you go to sell it. Either way, unless someone comes along who doesn’t know anything and bails the seller out, a lot airplanes rare going to end up just like these Centurions.

I see ads for Bonanzas, Comanches, Mooneys, you name it, that all have the same types of challenges that these two planes have. They have diminished beyond the point of economic recovery.

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 10:20 

Post Likes: +4525
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless
A significant portion of the fleet is in similar circumstances. I see a lot of For Sale ads for airplanes with high time engines, legacy avionics, fair to poor (sometimes original, still) paint and interior and the seller is trying to get good money for them. Any buyer who knows the score is going to add up the bills, not to mention the time and aggravation involved with correcting all the deficiencies, and walk away.

The sellers along with all the previous owners effectively used up the airplane and now they want someone to bail them out plus expect them to resurrect the airplane. Essentially, they want the buyer to pay for all the previous owner’s flying. Good luck with that.

When nobody wants to spend their money to keep up the airplane, it steadily diminishes in value. You can spend your money to maintain the airplane, upgrading it along the way and preserving its value or you can take your financial hit when you go to sell it. Either way, unless someone comes along who doesn’t know anything and bails the seller out, a lot airplanes rare going to end up just like these Centurions.

I see ads for Bonanzas, Comanches, Mooneys, you name it, that all have the same types of challenges that these two planes have. They have diminished beyond the point of economic recovery.

You almost wish you could take these airframes, pull the engines, instruments and avionics out, dunk them in a cleaning/wash tank followed by a corrosion preventative, and then just shrink wrap them. Put a label on them that’s says “open when engines/avionics permit”

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 12:12 

Post Likes: +180
Aircraft: 1982 V35B 550NA

You almost wish you could take these airframes, pull the engines, instruments and avionics out, dunk them in a cleaning/wash tank followed by a corrosion preventative, and then just shrink wrap them. Put a label on them that’s says “open when engines/avionics permit”

Best,
Rich

Yeah ^ this ^ because someday we will wish we had a lot of these airframes back :sad: -

Randy

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 12:33 

If you got an airframe for free,

What would it cost to strip to metal and build anew? Every switch and wire replaced.

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 19:30 

Post Likes: +599
Company: Well, it's UA now
Aircraft: B-787 & C55
Is it really the cost of the physical parts, in your question wire and switches, or would it be the cost of labor to install? You can buy a somewhat big box of parts for a few AMUs and then spend twice as much as they cost getting them installed in the airframe. At a $100 an hour, each, or there about, to have a couple of folks crawl over and cuss over the plane for a few days as well as a few hours of research/education time it really adds up.

I am not in anyway saying that A&Ps, AIs, and the techs that they employ are overpaid by any means. They all work hard and deserve to make a good living at a difficult job that can have dire consequences for others if done incorrectly.

It is just the nature of the beast, we have hand-built airframes and bespoke systems installed (by folks that sometimes think their way is better than the factory recommended way)that just don't lend themselves to quick, easy fixes. Hang around a shop for just a bit and there will always be one plane in there that has had less than great fixes/maintenance applied to it over the years and now to do what is needed or requested by the owner the current shop has to repair/remove/replace other "repairs" and/or systems that don't work or don't work well enough to pass muster. (Example, I was around the local Beech shop where they had just pulled the Nav. Lights CB...one of the three lights was still on...figure that one out quickly)

Sure you bought a XXX for $AMU and got a great deal, but it now has to tie into the electric and pitot system that may(read "will") need some tweaking to get integrated, needs a OAT input that you don't have and to be fully functional really needs a GPS position input that your older unit may or may not be able to provide. And you really should replace that antenna while we are at it.

If you were to gut and replace everything you could build a very nice integrated systems plane. The 210 in this thread, if it were corrosion free and didn't need any unobtainium parts, less engine, airframe only, I would bet panel, paint, interior, windows, OH the gear motor and pump, all new hoses, all new wiring and associated switches/CBs/sensors/lights, miscellaneous parts and labor you would be in at around 225-250k if you could find a shop that was even willing to take on the job. You would also have to give them at least a 50k down payment to get them interested/started on the job. Then they will have dedicate one tech full time to the project and another at part time to keep you happy with the progress being made.

Last edited on 05 May 2019, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 20:22 

Post Likes: +1800
Aircraft: Baron 58, Lear 35
Hi, Bob. The nav light cb story is a good one. Do you happen to know what they found and how long it took to find it?

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 20:44 

Post Likes: +599
Company: Well, it's UA now
Aircraft: B-787 & C55
Hi, Bob. The nav light cb story is a good one. Do you happen to know what they found and how long it took to find it?

In some previous "repair" someone had taken the nav light power/hot wire and re-routed it into the harness off a different circuit to fix a problem with the nav light on that side instead of finding out what the real problem was with the wiring and/or light. They found a logbook entry where they think the fix appeared to have occurred, it was many years old. Between the logbook research and looking for the wiring harness F-up, if I'm remembering correctly, they said it was in the 3'ish hr range.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 07:03 

Post Likes: +17163
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3

What would it cost to strip to metal and build anew? Every switch and wire replaced.

Charles,

Actually, Del Lehman does it "all the time". Creating two "new" Cessna 170's right now.

He's given me some numbers, but I would prefer that he gave them himself if he has the time and patience.

Jg

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 08:18 

Post Likes: +16624
Company: Mountain Airframe LLC

Charles,

Actually, Del Lehman does it "all the time". Creating two "new" Cessna 170's right now.

He's given me some numbers, but I would prefer that he gave them himself if he has the time and patience.

Jg

The 170B is a much simpler aircraft than the 210, mechanically and structurally. I'll probably start a thread and post some info, after we are done.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 09:00 

Post Likes: +1644
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
Thank goodness there are those who have the passion for doing aircraft restorations. Maybe one day it will be “somewhat” profitable to take on a 210 project like the one listed. I think it is going to be somewhere that experimental and certified cross paths in the distant future. It is certainly sad to see a good airplane turn to scrap in a hangar. I’d love to see the 170 restorations.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 22:29 

Post Likes: +78
Aircraft: C182
I got to thinking what it might cost to refurb this 210. I will certainly defer to the experts, but my guess...

All new interior and glass, with deep scotchbrite to bare metal and chromate, from a top shop like AirMod, I’d guess $100K.

All modern panel, all new wiring and breakers, antennas. Like $140K.

New engine, and new everything FWF, engine mount too, like $160K.

Full new paint with replacing that which needs, like $25K.

Other stuff like gear, cables, rigging, lights,...like $40K.

Probably there will be something serious structural that needs some creative expertise to make work. Which can happen at a weight penalty.

So, I’d guess this 210 could be a nice machine for like $500K and like two years of effort. (Yes, I know AOPA does their refurbs in a year, but that is hard even for them, and this 210 is way far gone.)

For 500K on the used market you can buy a nice fully working 210 and gas and maintenance for years.

But 500K for a good-as-new 210 is not totally unreasonable. Just on the edge of it. I might add in another 100K for air conditioning, TKS, oxygen.

If the surprises were another 100K I would not be surprised.

What do folks think? Are these numbers wildly high? Or would it actually cost even more?

-Bill

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next