banner
banner

19 May 2024, 06:17 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: The Best Light Jet is...
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:01 

Post Likes: +376
Company: Cessna (retired)
Here is a GPU experience and question:

In the early Citation X days, a mechanic and I were out at the Cessna fuel pits, hooked up to the ground power, doing fuel system functional tests.

Everything was going good until all of a sudden, the aircraft died electrically. Unbeknownst to us, the ground power had blown its circuit breaker (not an aircraft breaker) and we were on the battery until it died.

I asked around later, and there is no apparent indication of this situation other than maybe monitoring the voltmeter closely.

Is this typical of other models on ground power?:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:11 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23628
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
Unbeknownst to us, the ground power had blown its circuit breaker (not an aircraft breaker) and we were on the battery until it died.

I asked around later, and there is no apparent indication of this situation other than maybe monitoring the voltmeter closely.

Is this typical of other models on ground power?:

Yes, the voltmeter is the only way to tell when the GPU is providing power or not.

Basically, battery is 24-25 volts, GPU is 27-28 volts, typically.

It could be possible to add an indicator light that you are on GPU (tied to the detector pin on the GPU plug), but I have never seen that personally.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23628
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Starting from GPU or putting high demand on battery by using battery to start first engine?

Starting from GPU is better for the battery (and the engine) *IF* the GPU is doing its job.

The high current during start does cause some damage to the battery cells that accumulates at each start.

Some feel the high current start does some good to the battery, but there's no theory behind that I know of.

The main reasons batteries have short life have to do with improperly set voltage regulators (either undercharge or overcharge will shorten life), or letting a battery get deeply discharged. Those two conditions will cause a lot more damage than starting so they should be avoided.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7454
Company: Jet Acquisitions
A conversation about GPU's on a light jet thread.

:rofl:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:29 

Post Likes: +1209
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II

haha seriously.

What Light jet has a APU? I don't think any. Edit- I assume you meant APU, not GPU.

We are loving our 501sp Eagle II. for overall value per seat its hard to beat. Love not worrying about payload or a piston engine deciding to blow up at any minute. Never knew take offs could be so relaxing and fun.

Mike

Last edited on 13 Dec 2021, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:32 

Post Likes: +1856
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti

It could be possible to add an indicator light that you are on GPU (tied to the detector pin on the GPU plug), but I have never seen that personally.

Mike C.

Piaggio has that actually - when power from GPU hits the plug, green light goes on on annunciator panel. I am continually surprised by how many line guys flip on the power before I ask them to.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:53 

Post Likes: +683

Mike C.

Piaggio has that actually - when power from GPU hits the plug, green light goes on on annunciator panel. I am continually surprised by how many line guys flip on the power before I ask them to.

The Phenom 300 has a light that shows it available and the Pilot selects it to an in use state. Additionally, we get a GPU Connected CAS message. We can look at the electrical schematic (status page) and see white lines to the bus when connected and green lines when in use.

The Legacy/Praetor have a similar scenario as well as an APU.

Brad.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 19:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3773
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2

I think you meant APU

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 21:13 

Post Likes: +4681

in the king air the external power indicator light turns on when you connect the GPU, even if the GPU is not turned on- you can then check the voltage on the external to see if there is any present, if there is, then you flip the switch to close that solenoid and enable that current to enter the plane

my point being, if the line guys flip it on, you still have to push a button inside the plane to enable it, the problem that I have found is that if the EXT POWER switch is turned on, then the AC system can try to run off battery (bad!), so if you have your AC running or your heat running, and someone turns the ground cart on, bad things occur

is the Piaggo different?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 22:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7454
Company: Jet Acquisitions

I think you meant APU

Yes! APU… it’s been a day.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 22:55 

Post Likes: +19925
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Most legacy Citations (501, 550, 560) have vapor cycle (aka "freon") electric AC that can run off GPU.

Most. I’ve flown the II, V, and Ultra, and not one of them had Freon air.

A vapor cycle system also only helps when it’s hot. It does nothing when it’s cold.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 22:57 

Post Likes: +485
Aircraft: C310R, E55P, H130T2

Light jets don't have APUs, quite mode or "APU" mode on PC24/P300E not as useful as the marketing team advertises...thread over :D

Have we talked about the MU2 yet?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 23:21 

Post Likes: +78
Aircraft: King Air C90
I’ve had both GPU and APU fall off line without any warning. Thankfully I’ve been able to catch it when it does, but there have been two times recently where it almost bit me in the backside. In the CJ, was hooked up to one of those JetPorter egg shaped GPU’s that all the big players seem to just love. I’ve had nothing but heartburn with them and don’t trust them like the old Hobart units. Anyway, we were at Boca on the cart with the air running. I’m outside chatting with one of the line guys and notice the nav light on the wing blink. Odd, says I, so I go check the gages to find the GPU had dropped off line and the battery was so depleted in a matter of minutes, I was a gnats hind end from being stuck. The other time was just last week in one of the Astras - APU up and running, fat, happy, and sassy in the cockpit waiting on ground to give me the clearance and look down see the APU Gen had dropped off line and thrown a fail fault. No biggie, simple reset of the Gen and we’re back in business.

Point is, neither is fool proof and complacency with either will cause embarrassment and heartburn. My experience, and SOP, is don’t leave either unattended for more than a few minutes, and if we do run into the fbo, always go check the gages before anything else when we come back out.

Brian - thanks for the kind words on our little fbo. I’m mighty proud of my folks - it’s them that make it what it is. We are fighting an uphill battle and don’t have much to work with, but my team gives it everything they’ve got and they do it with heart, and I can’t ask for more than that.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 23:24 

Post Likes: +78
Aircraft: King Air C90

Light jets don't have APUs, quite mode or "APU" mode on PC24/P300E not as useful as the marketing team advertises...thread over :D

Have we talked about the MU2 yet?

I got distracted today and went down the Commander 1000 rabbit hole looking at options to replace an airplane we operate for a client thanks to another thread on here. It’s got Garrets like the MU2…that’s close enough right? LOL :)

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2021, 00:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +11030
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66

Never knew take offs could be so relaxing and fun.

Mike

Yep, and topping or circumnavigating around weather etc etc. The lower stress factor is worth it all by itself.

"Jet Elite"

Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next

PWI, Inc. (Banner)