Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: TBM 940
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 00:14 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Username Protected wrote:
Yes commercial... :sad: $400 round trip on United. When Scottsdale complete I ride there in the Tbone and never return to Orlando again if I can help it. :thumbup:

Orlando is the only option for PC12 for you?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 00:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9100
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
Yes commercial... :sad: $400 round trip on United. When Scottsdale complete I ride there in the Tbone and never return to Orlando again if I can help it. :thumbup:

Orlando is the only option for PC12 for you?

Only NG in the country besides Flightsafety at 2X cost.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 00:21 

I got a quote from FS a couple years ago and it was like $24K.

I agree SimCom isn't the best but it's also inexpensive. We both fly the real thing all the time. I don't think it hurts to revisit the emergency procedures in their crappy sim. I'll be there next month.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
My guess (and I can't quote data to back this assertion up) is that if you take 121 jets out of the equation there's nowhere near a 10x jet vs turboprop difference. I just don't buy that there's an order of magnitude difference between jets and turboprops flown by the same pilots.

For the very limited comparison of Mustang versus TBM, the ratio is roughly 10 to 1.

480 mustangs, 1 fatal.

930 TBMs, 19 fatals.

I did a cursory review of total times on controller.com for Mustang and TBM and I came away with the impression that the aircraft are used about the same number of hours and in similar kinds of service. Whoever suggested Mustang and TBM have similar use profiles seems to be pretty much right, looks like a lot of owner flown, not many over 200 hours/year, on what is likely personal/business trips.

So given all that, it really does appear like a Mustang is the safer option. Is that due to being a jet, or having two engines, or having higher training requirements? Probably a combination of all of the above.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:37 

Post Likes: +5807
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58
It is getting harder and harder to not justify a type rating for turboprops. The turboprop is every bit as complex, if not more so, than the jet. Private and insured operators are getting insurance mandated yearly type training anyway, so it wouldn't be that much of a burden to the owner/operators to do it.

Some countries already do this for turboprops and have a far better accident record than the US.

Having a bunch of SFARs is stupid, let's normalize the turboprop training requirements.

Mike C.

If types for turboprops then why not piston twins? High performance piston singles? All airplanes? Where does it stop? I’m sure that we’d all be a lot safer if we trained in all planes to the level of a type rating and honestly my personal goal is to train to that level but do we need to mandate that? I think we will get to that point at some juncture. I’m not sure that’s a good thing but as long as we have the attitude that no accident rate is acceptable that’s where we’re headed. Im not saying we shouldn’t try to get better but we do have to understand that every requirement we put in place will hasten the demise of GA. How many planes will never fly again because they live near a class B airport and it’s just not worth it to put ADS-B in them. There’s a principal in many fields I think is applicable here. Any action you take whether it accomplishes your desired goal or not will have at least three unintended consequences and at least two of those will be negative.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 02:50 

WWW  Profile

If types for turboprops then why not piston twins? High performance piston singles? All airplanes? Where does it stop?

When the cost/benefit analysis says to stop.

If we look at the cost as a percentage of a yearly flying budget, then the cost to have type ratings for turboprop airplanes is relatively small, under 5%.

To have them for piston twins probably gets close to 10-15%. That may not be worth it.

But that's really not the cost here. Most turboprop pilots are already getting type specific training mandated by insurance, so the cost adder to a type rating isn't that much extra. So maybe we are talking 2% more per year to have a type rating for a turboprop.

I believe the cost/benefit ratio works at that price quite nicely.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 06:08 

Post Likes: +2752

I agree SimCom isn't the best but it's also inexpensive. We both fly the real thing all the time. I don't think it hurts to revisit the emergency procedures in their crappy sim. I'll be there next month.

They told me $9,880 for initial for the TBM. I asked them to honor the 30% discount, and he said 'no.'

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 08:45 

They told me $9,880 for initial for the TBM. I asked them to honor the 30% discount, and he said 'no.'

Yeah that's way too much. I wonder who does go there for PC12?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 10:51 

Post Likes: +1709
Aircraft: T210M

Yikes! When I bought my 850 in 2010 (550hrs Hobbs) both SimCom Initial and TSI were paid in full by AVEX. Not sure what the current policy is in place.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 11:11 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
Really? I dont believe so.

Its all about gross weight or if you have a jet engine.
A Piston twin is more complex to fly than a TBM and there is no type rating.
My C185 is harder to land than my TBM and there is no type rating.

I would have to agree with Charles, the newer Garmin G1000/G3000 TBMs are more integrated, have better autopilots and easier to fly in the landing / terminal area.

Its all relative to the pilot if a plane is easier or harder to fly.

Turboprops should have type ratings. It’s stupid not too. The mitts sfar was not that hard. If you can’t meet those requirements you should not be flying a turbine.

Having flown with a variety of turbine pilots, I am shocked by how sloppy many turboprop pilots I have flown with are. That works until it doesn’t.

I personally know someone who bought a new 930 tbm bc they were worried they wouldn’t pass the check ride on a premier (what they really wanted). In the terminal environment those planes are damn similar and that’s where most of the accidents happen.

It works for jets. It worked for the mu2. It works in other countries. Not sure why it is even a debate.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 11:20 

Post Likes: +21398
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
It sounds as if y'all are caught in specialty aircraft training. In the King Air, I have many more alternatives. Insurer began only requiring every other year for formal school two years ago and there's a much wider list of approved schools. I go in Fort Worth for at a much more reasonable cost.
At one school I previously attended, an instructor would stand in a small class room and read the book they provided each customer for several hours. Didn't matter what you knew, same reading to all. Then, sim time.
Now, the instructor reviews material and asks questions, if I answer correctly, we go on to another area. Instructor is also and A&P, IA and we go to a plane and look at systems and discuss. Lots of discussion of actual issues encountered. Instructor flew for a large corporation many years. Same amount of time, but we spend much more on places I'm weak and skip through where I'm strong once that's known. I enjoy going much more. I learned each place because it was full immersion for two days, but I benefit much more now. Of course, I do training in between with an instructor, but it's not required.

Last edited on 11 Mar 2019, 12:42, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 11:21 

WWW  Profile

Its all about gross weight or if you have a jet engine.

Those parameters measure one thing: money.

When the plane is expensive enough (which correlates exceptionally well with weight and jet engines), then it becomes the right cost/benefit to have a type rating.

Basically, FAA requirements pile on to the extent there is money to pay for them.

Quote:
A Piston twin is more complex to fly than a TBM and there is no type rating.
My C185 is harder to land than my TBM and there is no type rating.

I don't think difficulty is correlated to type rating requirements at all. I'm sure a Piper Cub can be more difficult to fly than an airliner.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 16:02 

WWW  Profile

But he did have ferry tanks.

And 100-150 knot tailwinds.

Article:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... ord-flight

300 gallons ferry tank, 2102 lbs over gross.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 16:07 

Post Likes: +2752
well that answer the "will it fly..." question.

28% over gross!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 17:34 

Post Likes: +4019
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
What was interesting were some of the verifications that were made as far as CG etc. with the extra weight. They actually tested all fuel on board, static, the plane in a nose up 5 degrees for take off and climb, max pitch planned rotation 120KTS. Verified the load did not shift among other things. FAA required Daher to prove one ton of fuel in the cabin, structure will support it at 9G's. I think they said it still climbed out at 1,000'/minute on TO with 9,200lb's on board.

Sure was exciting following online as their progress was posted. Over NY they hit the wake turbulence of a 777 and while the TBM was fine it sure added some adrenaline to the pilots systems... :D

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next