Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: "El Chapos" Turbo Commander
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 19:16 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
Username Protected wrote:
Here’s an aerial with El Chapo more or less dead center

Why wouldn't they ferry these out to the desert once they seize them?

Apart from the corrosion benefits, isn't ramp space in a desert boneyard a hell of a lot cheaper than Fort Lauderdale?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 19:33 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
Whatever happened to the BT’r Commander that had radios stolen in England with some resulting damage?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 19:46 

Post Likes: +4780
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
Here’s an aerial with El Chapo more or less dead center

Why wouldn't they ferry these out to the desert once they seize them?

Apart from the corrosion benefits, isn't ramp space in a desert boneyard a hell of a lot cheaper than Fort Lauderdale?

One of the problem with these seized airplanes is that they sit outside near the ocean and there's no documentation of engine runs. The Hawker 800 in the pictures was basically trashed from sitting outside for 5 years and I saw no way to resurrect it. Additionally, with no documentation of engine runs, they technically require an overhaul per the MM. I don't know anything about Garretts but perhaps the 30 day run (or preservation) requirement doesn't apply to turboprops.

I'm glad someone was able to save this Commander. It was the best of the best before it sat. I personally couldn't see my way through its issues but apparently someone could.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 19:59 

I don't know anything about Garretts but perhaps the 30 day run (or preservation) requirement doesn't apply to turboprops.

It does.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 21:00 

Post Likes: +24
Aircraft: Baron E55, c340,Pc12
It is a disgrace that the airplanes are stored outside in a high corrosive environment. I was at that facility last year looking at a Pilatus I used to fly. The caretaker also told us that the airplanes where ran every month and that the Pilatus was owned by ¨El Chapo¨. Obviously it was not for I had flown it for more than 1000 hours and knew every owner the airplane had and they where far from drug dealers or cartel associates.

As for the Pilatus, it was a 2006 with 2800 hours and sold for 1.89 M. Same aircraft that day on market with no issues was selling for 2.5M. In my calculations it needed 350 K of work to get it right. A 135 operation bought it and it flies evert day and allot ! I Don’t know how much they ended up paying for the repairs but I was very sad to see it in the degrading condition which it was all do to it being left outside to rot.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 21:08 

It is a disgrace that the airplanes are stored outside in a high corrosive environment. I was at that facility last year looking at a Pilatus I used to fly. The caretaker also told us that the airplanes where ran every month and that the Pilatus was owned by ¨El Chapo¨. Obviously it was not for I had flown it for more than 1000 hours and knew every owner the airplane had and they where far from drug dealers or cartel associates.

As for the Pilatus, it was a 2006 with 2800 hours and sold for 1.89 M. Same aircraft that day on market with no issues was selling for 2.5M. In my calculations it needed 350 K of work to get it right. A 135 operation bought it and it flies evert day and allot ! I Don’t know how much they ended up paying for the repairs but I was very sad to see it in the degrading condition which it was all do to it being left outside to rot.

Why did they steal the Pilatus?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 21:53 

It had been sitting outside for 5 years. Lots of uncertainty of what work was needed to get it airworthy again. They would not allow us to start the engine or connect a gpu to check what avionics where working. The humidity had messed up the interior pretty bad and corrosion showed in the airframe, wings and landing gear. One side of the aircrafts paint was more faded than the other so it was apparent it had not moved in the 5 years it was there. Buying those planes is a calculated gamble.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 21:57 

Was "Risk Mondial" the custodian of that Pilatus?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 22:11 

Yes Michael

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 22:26 

Yes Michael

Risk Mondial takes the government's money to run and take care of these airplanes and does absolutely nothing. Insanity. The guy claims he can fly anything with wings without a type rating because they are "gov't assets". Even claimed he flew that C-123 in that aerial photo I posted. He claims all those turbines are run monthly.

Back to the Commander, it's absolutely a fact that those motors hadn't run for 3-5 years. On a JT15D, that requires an overhaul; on a Garrett I have no idea.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 22:31 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
He claims all those turbines are run monthly.

Given the expected condition of the batteries, what he really means is that he hot starts them monthly.

Doing a start every 30 days isn't really all that healthy for the engines.

Quote:
Back to the Commander, it's absolutely a fact that those motors hadn't run for 3-5 years. On a JT15D, that requires an overhaul; on a Garrett I have no idea.

There is similar language, I don't have the details.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 00:03 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST

Not that it matters, but since you have publicly bad mouthed someone else’s plane while knowing nothing regarding it’s current status, I’m trying to reconcile your “absolutely a fact” statement above with the following summary:

The lead Federal Dept HLS agent confirmed it was stored in a hanger in San Antonio from the day it was seized in July 2014 (2 days after it was sold) to Feb 2017. This is confirmed with the mechanic in San Antinio and with the pilots that flew it to FXE for the auction process that was suppose to happen in a month, but then was delayed for a year.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 12:50 

Post Likes: +279
Aircraft: TC690A
Whatever happened to the BT’r Commander that had radios stolen in England with some resulting damage?

Erwin, it's still being repaired, had some issues with significant turnover and numerous staffing changes at the service center, reorganization at the main company doing the work (closing numerous locations and relocating most of their operations to a new location) and some administrative delays in getting insurance approvals (stuff like: insurance adjuster forgets to hit "send" on email to get approvals from the underwriters and then goes on long holiday...). Also, I have personally been busy with a couple of international projects so I made the mistake of assuming progress was taking place without my stopping by the hangar and annoying them regularly.

There were no structural issues but the job of re-wiring a modern panel which has had all the wiring sheared is not a fun job, apparently. An upgrade of steam gauges to glass is a piece of cake relative to tracking down thousands of unlabeled spaghetti wires...

Hoping to be flying it soon and the repairs now appear to back on track. They've had power on and almost everything is working correctly, just a few things still need to be resolved. Fingers crossed I will be doing my short - medium haul traveling again off the airlines.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 14:04 

Post Likes: +397
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A
Quote:
Fingers crossed I will be doing my short - medium haul traveling again off the airlines.

Looking forward to seeing it in Cannes !

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 14:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1781
Company: D&M Leasing Houston
Aircraft: CitationV/C180

Erwin, it's still being repaired, had some issues with significant turnover and numerous staffing changes at the service center, reorganization at the main company doing the work (closing numerous locations and relocating most of their operations to a new location) and some administrative delays in getting insurance approvals (stuff like: insurance adjuster forgets to hit "send" on email to get approvals from the underwriters and then goes on long holiday...). Also, I have personally been busy with a couple of international projects so I made the mistake of assuming progress was taking place without my stopping by the hangar and annoying them regularly.

There were no structural issues but the job of re-wiring a modern panel which has had all the wiring sheared is not a fun job, apparently. An upgrade of steam gauges to glass is a piece of cake relative to tracking down thousands of unlabeled spaghetti wires...

Hoping to be flying it soon and the repairs now appear to back on track. They've had power on and almost everything is working correctly, just a few things still need to be resolved. Fingers crossed I will be doing my short - medium haul traveling again off the airlines.

Wow. Unreal. 2 plus years?

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next