Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: My New Ride
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 10:14 

Post Likes: +623
Aircraft: C180
Username Protected wrote:
Out of curiosity, how roomy/comfortable is the cabin on those?

There are three rows of seats: 2 (pilots), 3, and 2. The pilot seats are VERY roomy. Lots of shoulder and head room. The second is VERY roomy for 2 adults, with almost zero chance of bumping your head. However, I don’t see 3 adults sitting side-by-side-by-side. Maybe a child in the middle? I didn’t sit in the last row, but it appears wide enough. I’m told that anyone over 5’10” will be hitting their head.

The heat is well distributed and the defrost is good enough to keep most of the windshield dry (although there is still TKS for FIKI certification). The air conditioning is independent of engine power and electrics, so it can be used anytime the left engine is running, on the ground or in the air.

Thanks Vince!!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 16:52 

Post Likes: +51
Aircraft: G2 SR22
I’m a newish pilot and BTer. Just clicked on the brand X forum for the first time. Sure glad I did! Thanks for sharing as I really dig the DA-62. Where did that $1.2MM go that I had lying around. :scratch:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 17:18 

Post Likes: +748
Aircraft: Cessna 210
I love that it's got a stick instead of a yoke.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 19:07 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Does the 62 have manual trim as well as electric!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 19:28 

Post Likes: +1250
Does the 62 have manual trim as well as electric!

Yes. Pitch and rudder trim only...no aileron trim.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 17:21 

Post Likes: +6
I'd imagine wingspan makes this plane hard to find a hangar wide enough.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 17:55 

I'd imagine wingspan makes this plane hard to find a hangar wide enough.

True dat, Matt! Almost 10 more feet of wing than my Baron. :bugeye:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 18:47 

Vincent,
I've read the thread and see some performance numbers you posted. Looks like your bird is TKS? Assume in FL it has AC? Can you share the POH single engine climb chart? Or your experience?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 19:11 

Vincent,
I've read the thread and see some performance numbers you posted. Looks like your bird is TKS? Assume in FL it has AC? Can you share the POH single engine climb chart? Or your experience?

Chuck,

I’m on the road right now and don’t have the charts with me. My experience has not been at gross weight, but single-engine performance has been comparable to my Baron at similar (relative) weights. No problem holding altitude in the 6-8000 foot range. Of course, my Baron is not a turbo, and the DA62 is, so...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 18:50 

Post Likes: +138
Company: Advantage Technologies
Aircraft: Citation 510 Mustang
Curious your thoughts on the "safety" portion of this vs a SETP. I've got lots of time in both piston twins and in SETP (Meridian and TBM). There is no way, ever, that I would choose a piston twin over a SETP.

Operating cost - sure, I can see that. But safety? I would take a pressurized cabin behind a PT-6 vs two piston engines all day long. The ability to climb above weather, the additional speed, beta, etc... Not being argumentative, but this is the first time in a long time I've heard someone argue the safety factor for a piston twin vs a SETP...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 19:21 

Bryan,

I responded to the SETP question with the reasons why the OWNER stated he purchased this airplane after owning a turbine, not me. They are his thoughts. I would tend to agree with you, but I’ve never owned either a FIKI twin OR a SETP, so I would only be speculating.

I’ve only owned a non-FIKI Bonanza and non-FIKI Baron. I love both, but understand either one has obvious limitations.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 19:32 

Post Likes: +269
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
I think it depends a great deal on the mission of the aircraft in question. A well maintained piston twin has a very low catastrophic engine failure rate (but still certainly higher than a turbine). Yet turbines do fail. If I flew a plane in populated areas with lots of airports and/or not much night ops, I'd certainly prefer the simplicity, speed and reliability of a SETP. But if my mission took me on long over-water legs, or I operated the plane over inhospitable terrain at night, I'd definitely take the twin. The danger imposed by a twin can generally be mitigated by training, with a single engine anything, you will generally be fine if you can glide to a field, but if not, then flying skill starts to take a back seat to blind luck. Not a great situation to be in.
The DA-62 is a beautiful, economical plane, it's a shame that they couldn't offer something that would retain most of the efficiency but provide a bit more airspeed. I wonder if the new EPS engine would work...lots of power and a far smaller frontal area. As an aftermarket addition to older planes, an expensive diesel like the EPS would be a hard sell based on residual airframe value, but in a $1.2M new aircraft, I could see it making sense.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 20:35 

Vincent,
No problem I contacted a dealer friend and he got this from a Diamond guy.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 00:23 

Post Likes: +3575
Aircraft: Piper M600
If I flew a plane in populated areas with lots of airports and/or not much night ops, I'd certainly prefer the simplicity, speed and reliability of a SETP. But if my mission took me on long over-water legs, or I operated the plane over inhospitable terrain at night, I'd definitely take the twin. The danger imposed by a twin can generally be mitigated by training, with a single engine anything, you will generally be fine if you can glide to a field, but if not, then flying skill starts to take a back seat to blind luck.

I don't think you will find a piston, or even a turbine propellor twin with a better engine out safety record than the cross country SETP's like the TBM, P46T's and PC12's Those 3 have amassed around 10 million flight hours combined with only 1 engine related fatal and that was in a TBM that unported a fuel tank due to flying with the rudder trim misaligned for a long period of time iirc. 1 in 10 million hours is pretty darn good. A lot of reasons for that, in addition to the fact that the PT6 is just one of the most reliable motors ever built. From a pure engine standpoint, I would take a SETP over a twin piston any time, especially if the weather or terrain were inhospitable. Wrestling a twin as it descends SE into icing, towards the mountain tops at night, towards the sky scrapers of the city. No would much rather be in the SETP above the clouds with the never wavering hum of that PT6.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 01:11 

Post Likes: +269
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
I guess it depends on your experience. We currently operate 8 PT-6 engines (4 twins) and 2 TPE-331 (also on a twin). We have lost a PT-6 unexpectedly despite normal trend monitoring. It was a complete and immediate failure. On that day, if we had a single, it would not have ended well. I agree that the SETP planes do have a good safety record, but still, a OEI twin (whether piston or turbine) gives you options at night, over water etc. There is a reason commercial aircraft have more than one.

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next