banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 09:58 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Cessna Denali - First Impressions
PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 08:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7248
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Username Protected wrote:

Aren't those the exact PC 12 performance numbers?

That’s what I’ve never understood about the Denali. Is 15% better fuel economy enough differentiation? I don’t think so. I hope Cessna is sandbagging. It doesn’t make sense that nearly 30 year later technology yields no better performance.

They’re either sandbagging or incompetent. To come out with a state of the art airplane with such lackluster performance would be a waste of time.

We’ll see what reality reveals.

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 09:18 

Post Likes: +1167
Aircraft: Breeezy, 182,601P
The avionics lower operating costs and Cessna's support network, might be enough.
all else equal.

If your upgrading from a high end cirrus, one of the Piper SETP etc.. that already has Garmin avionics, learning the Honeywell system, however good it is, is an issue.

As for operating costs, for a low utilization owner flown aircraft cessna could do a lot to eliminate calendar based maintance, reduce database subscription costs etc...

As for performance I'd expect denali/pc-12 to be similar
There is a laws of physics aspect to this as well....

A used KA300 with the upcoming blackhawk-67 STC might be similar capx for a lot more performance....

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 09:19 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
They’re either sandbagging or incompetent. To come out with a state of the art airplane with such lackluster performance would be a waste of time.

I don't care much for the airplane frankly. What I am excited about is the engine. If it's actually 20% more efficient then the range will be awesome. Add another 300-400 miles and that airplane has some serious legs.

Need to get over that 300knot cruise speed bump.

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 10:39 

Post Likes: +660
There is a laws of physics aspect to this as well...

True, but the PC12 doesn't strike me as a real clean/aerodynamic airframe. I'd assume there is a fair amount of improvement that modern computer modeling could achieve. Plus the PT6 is not a super efficient engine.

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 11:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9073
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
15% improvement in fuel burn while going faster is a major feat, if they can pull it off. Even for a private operator flying only 200 hrs /yr that's not an insignificant savings...

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 18:56 

Post Likes: +1687
Aircraft: T210M
15% improvement in fuel burn while going faster is a major feat, if they can pull it off. Even for a private operator flying only 200 hrs /yr that's not an insignificant savings...

+1

Every time I get the opportunity to provide feedback to Daher about improvements I bring up better fuel specifics. With 281 gals useful it is my practice to land with no less than 50 gal. If I had a 20% improvement it is like carrying 46 extra gallons! Or an extra 225 nm of range.

This would benefit the newer TBM models even more that have higher TAS on the same fuel burn.

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 19:27 

Post Likes: +2503
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A

I don't care much for the airplane frankly. What I am excited about is the engine. If it's actually 20% more efficient then the range will be awesome. Add another 300-400 miles and that airplane has some serious legs.

Need to get over that 300knot cruise speed bump.

Cessna did that 40 years ago..... The called it a Conquest II.... Then then killed it as it was beating up on the Citation sales...

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 20:46 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
Cessna did that 40 years ago..... The called it a Conquest II.... Then then killed it as it was beating up on the Citation sales...

Have a friend that drives round in circles that loves his. It's still a ton smaller than the PC12 but it shoulda been higher up on my list. The issue is that they don't make em no more..........so what I'm hearing you saying is that Cessna ain't about producing a better airplane, they're about producing better bottom lines for their corporation.........not something I can argue against.

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 09:47 

Post Likes: +560
Aircraft: PC-24 Citabria 7GCBC
Pilatus President Oscar Schwenk says big changes are coming to the PC12 in response to Textron; competition is good!

Article is in German
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/interview ... im-oktober

Translated section related to the PC12
Quote:
We owe Textron an answer.

But first they want to improve the PC-12, also in response to the Cessna Denali of Textron.

What is planned exactly?
We have updated the PC-12 constantly. But it's true: We owe Textron a copy of the PC-12 build an answer. We will have this answer.

What will she look like?
It will be a major upgrade to the Pilatus PC-12. We expect to present details at the NBAA show in October in Las Vegas.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:32 

Post Likes: +660
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/15/ge-shar ... nting.html

I hope this doesn’t kill the Denali.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 15:57 

Post Likes: +154
Aircraft: On the hunt...
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/15/ge-shares-drop-after-madoff-whistleblower-harry-markopolos-raises-red-flags-on-its-accounting.html

I hope this doesn’t kill the Denali.

Where was this guy when Jack Welch was around? Welch famously forced his year end results to come out to the penny to match his annual projection at the beginning of the year! Repeatedly. Talk about hiding in plain sight. When your businesses are as diverse as GE once was you can juggle numbers to force balance. Not coming out even? Add/subtract more IR&D. Change the dividend etc ad infinitum. Height of arrogance.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019, 11:40 

Post Likes: +159
If GE’s new turboprop engines can really deliver the same HP with a 15-20% savings in fuel burn, while having FADEC/engine protection and a higher TBO, that could revolutionize the single and twin turboprop market. It will surely put a lot of pressure on Pratt & Whitney, because they will have to respond or you will see a lot of owners switching to GE engines at overhaul. I wish them success in that endeavor.

I spent time with the Denali people at OSH - I found their team to be quite friendly (of course, I told them I was already flying an SETP). I thought the cabin and cockpit looked great. But then, the PC12 cabin looks great - I can’t comment on Honeywell Apex necessarily but I think a competent pilot can learn any modern avionics system.

We will see what happens to GE and the Denali but a better turboprop engine would be good for aviation.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019, 14:34 

Post Likes: +702
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
Pratt will respond with their new engine.

Is a new version of the Pilatus PC-12 single-engine turboprop in the works? It appears so.

On July 29, the Swiss Aircraft Register listed a Pilatus PC-12/47E, commonly called the PC-12 NG, as an experimental aircraft. This version appears to have a new engine, a Pratt & Whitney PT6E-67XP and an upgraded Hartzell Propeller, the HC-E5A-31A/NC10245B.

Experts and analysts have been expecting Pilatus to upgrade the PC-12, a passenger and cargo aircraft, in part in response to Textron Aviation’s new Cessna Denali single-engine turboprop. Textron Aviation is planning for first flight of the Denali later in 2019 with initial customer deliveries in 2020.

A Pilatus spokesperson in Switzerland declined to comment. Pratt & Whitney Canada and Hartzell Propeller referred questions to Pilatus.

“All we can say is that we always have experimental aircraft of all types of our aircraft registered as we continuously develop them further,” a Pilatus spokeperson said. “Whether the new features will be introduced or not depends on the test results.”

An upgraded PC-12 would not be a surprise, said Rolland Vincent, an aviation consultant with Rolland Vincent Associates. “I’m sure they’re working on it,” Vincent said, adding that he had no specific knowledge of the case.

However, Pilatus will respond to the Cessna Denali,” Vincent said. “The game is afoot.”

Vincent has added an upgraded PC-12 to his delivery forecasts.

Pilatus has upgraded the PC-12 regularly about every eight years. “They’re due for another one,” Vincent said. Waiting seven-to-ten years between upgrades is good business.

“Then customers are ready for the next generation and you haven’t annoyed them by lowering their residual values,” Vincent said.

Pilatus has been manufacturing the pressurized PC-12 since 1991. The company delivered 80 PC-12 aircraft in 2018, down from 85 in 2017. It delivered 12 in the first quarter of 2019.

If GE’s new turboprop engines can really deliver the same HP with a 15-20% savings in fuel burn, while having FADEC/engine protection and a higher TBO, that could revolutionize the single and twin turboprop market. It will surely put a lot of pressure on Pratt & Whitney, because they will have to respond or you will see a lot of owners switching to GE engines at overhaul. I wish them success in that endeavor.

I spent time with the Denali people at OSH - I found their team to be quite friendly (of course, I told them I was already flying an SETP). I thought the cabin and cockpit looked great. But then, the PC12 cabin looks great - I can’t comment on Honeywell Apex necessarily but I think a competent pilot can learn any modern avionics system.

We will see what happens to GE and the Denali but a better turboprop engine would be good for aviation.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 11:56 

Post Likes: +7
First flight delay to 2020 due to engine not being available.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2019-10-21/cessna-denali-first-flight-delayed-2020

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 12:58 

Post Likes: +615
Aircraft: V35, C150
I saw that too.

I am rooting for Cessna because I want to see what they come up with and because I like seeing more airplanes in the market.

We know production and certification delays happen all the time, but the timing sure makes me wonder if Cessna saw what Pilatus announced this week and it cut into the Denali’s advantages a little too much.

Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next