banner
banner

25 Apr 2024, 01:49 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Cessna Denali - First Impressions
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 09:54 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
Username Protected wrote:
Ok Sam. So is Denali = Innovation?

To me? Not at all. Trying to hang on someone else's coat tales.

That said; new engine, maybe better performance, as someone mentioned Garmin over Honeywell. Maybe they get some of the market share.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 10:00 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Ok Sam. So is Denali = Innovation?

To me? Not at all. Trying to hang on someone else's coat tales.

That said; new engine, maybe better performance, as someone mentioned Garmin over Honeywell. Maybe they get some of the market share.

Then I think everything you wrote is what I've already said. You're agreeing with me.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 10:08 

Then I think everything you wrote is what I've already said. You're agreeing with me.

If you think so I have no problem with that. :cheers:

Someone for some weird reason disliked my comment about Cessna. I like Cessna. And there’s nothing wrong with being a copycat. Why let Pilatus have all the fun? Actually wouldn’t be surprised if I get started in a Mustang. But have they made some mistakes? Sure. We all have. Personally I love the innovative thought of personal flight but I wouldn’t hang my hat on the SF50 being that. It’s sort of a “poke “ in that direction. VTOLS is where I would look.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 10:16 

Someone for some weird reason disliked my comment about Cessna. I like Cessna. And there’s nothing wrong with being a copycat. Why let Pilatus have all the fun? Actually wouldn’t be surprised if I get started in a Mustang. But have they made some mistakes? Sure. We all have. Personally I love the innovative thought of personal flight but I wouldn’t hang my hat on the SF50 being that. It’s sort of a “poke “ in that direction. VTOLS is where I would look.

I like Cessna. I was just pointing out that none of the airplanes Cessna doesn't make are a grand departure from what Cessna already makes. I don't think Cessna should have allowed the Phenom 300 in the door. I think they could've brought the XLS into the 21st century and had a better product. Now they have the PC24 to deal with also.

Pilatus is a big, established company. They're not an upstart. The invested a BILLION of their own $$ to develop PC24. You don't have to be a little guy to innovate.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 10:21 

I like Cessna. I was just pointing out that none of the airplanes Cessna doesn't make are a grand departure from what Cessna already makes. I don't think Cessna should have allowed the Phenom 300 in the door. I think they could've brought the XLS into the 21st century and had a better product. Now they have the PC24 to deal with also.

Pilatus is a big, established company. They're not an upstart. The invested a BILLION of their own $$ to develop PC24. You don't have to be a little guy to innovate.

No doubt. And Pilatus has taken their time in developing the 24. They didn’t rush in with crazy marketing tactics trying to make it work. Cargo door jet that can land on unimproved fields? WTF? They’re going to blow a few boys right off the block. But true innovation? Not really. Flying on their own coat tales.

Embraer? Crazy immigrant Brazilians. Family founded business. Funny though I really don’t care for their tastes in cockpit or cabin. But YMMV.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 10:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
The Denali will have something the PC-12 can never have, the Textron service network.

One area the Denali could beat PC-12 is engine reserve costs. The PT6A-67 is major $$$ in that area and the GE engine could be significantly less.

The Denali doesn't have to do a single thing better than a PC-12 to be a success.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 10:43 

[quote="Mike Ciholas"

The Denali doesn't have to do a single thing better than a PC-12 to be a success.

Mike C.[/quote]

Depends on how you define success. Denali will NEVER be the success the 12 is. But it MIGHT be a financial success. Agree with you on Textron support. It’s pretty amazing, but maybe it needs to be.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 10:46 

The Denali will have something the PC-12 can never have, the Textron service network.

One area the Denali could beat PC-12 is engine reserve costs. The PT6A-67 is major $$$ in that area and the GE engine could be significantly less.

Mike C.

The Pilatus has a great service network. I've been part of it for 6 years now. Never been AOG.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 11:49 

Post Likes: +22961
Aircraft: A33
The Pilatus has a great service network. I've been part of it for 6 years now. Never been AOG.

and don't forget the biggest advantage Pilates has vs Textron etc - Pilatus doesn't have to torture the numbers for quarterly conference calls

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:14 

Post Likes: +212
Aircraft: V35B TN
Quote:
Depends on how you define success. Denali will NEVER be the success the 12 is. But it MIGHT be a financial success.

This statement seems to contradict itself.

I’ll go with financial success, no reason it can’t achieve at least equal or better success than the PC-12 on take your pick, per unit/per annum/per program.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 14:28 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
It just have to be as good as the PC12, not better.
There is a big market for SETP in this class. I could see another 100 units a year easily.

[quote="Mike Ciholas"

Mike C.

Depends on how you define success. Denali will NEVER be the success the 12 is. But it MIGHT be a financial success. Agree with you on Textron support. It’s pretty amazing, but maybe it needs to be.[/quote]

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 14:30 

Post Likes: +3381
Aircraft: planeless
If there is a wait list for new PC12s, then that is the market's way of asking for a competitor. If the Denali were to just match the PC12 it will sell. Me, I think it is going to be better. The pressurization difference alone is a reason to buy it over the PC12.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 14:45 

It just have to be as good as the PC12, not better.
There is a big market for SETP in this class. I could see another 100 units a year easily.

If Pilatus and Denali are selling 100 units each per year it's because folks are ditching their jets.... which may well happen.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 15:35 

Post Likes: +22961
Aircraft: A33
Quote:
I used to occasionally fly a a family into their home in Courchevel in their B200.

OK, what do you have to do to have a home in Courchevel and get there in your chartered KA??? Like the guy in the Italian Alps with the Dr. Evil underground hangar, grass strip, and a PC12. I must have been absent that day in school...

Scott, what that guy did was work his tail off. To put it in perspective I'm currently late 40's and I have only 15 patents to my name. That guy was about the same age at that time, and he had over 500. He made his first money licensing a process related to manufacturing o-rings etc. Mundane stuff but critical to all our lives.

He was always thinking - while the family seemed to be on an eternal holiday, that guy did all his work in his head and he was always working. My favourite part of that job was when i got invited to dinner with the family and got a chance to just talk about whatever.

He had more money than he could ever spend, but no trophy wife nonsense. He was married to the girl who lived next door when they were kids. One of their children was mildly autistic, and they doted on that boy.

He could have had any jet but said an airplane was for going places and the king air could land anywhere. He drove himself around in an old land cruiser for the same reason.

They would be at their beach house and I'd get a call at 3AM from him saying, come pick him up, he needed to get to the lab and try something that he just woke up thinking of.

He had a stroke and passed before age 60. Who knows what he might have invented with more time. Heck of a nice guy and the most pure genius person I've ever met.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 15:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +30
Both planes are similar however, better pressurization, FADEC, G3000, Externally Serviceable Lav. and I believe a forward baggage/storage area like TBM's/Piper M350 are the main pluses I see for the Denali.

Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next