banner
banner

23 Apr 2024, 16:07 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Phenom 100E , Cessna M2 or Hondajet?
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 09:17 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
Username Protected wrote:
Netjets

I see they are getting rid of all their jets and turning exclusively to PC12 and Denali

I would suspect the 12 is one of the most chartered planes in America right now.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 09:23 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Netjets

I see they are getting rid of all their jets and turning exclusively to PC12 and Denali

Not following

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 09:25 

The flight to Colorado from Atlanta is long enough to warrant the jet.

Yeah. For a price.

I think the 12's perfect for you. You're smart enough you don't want to just blow good money way. Jets going to be the deepest black hole you've ever dumped money into. With no real return i suspect. the 12's cheap cheap cheap compared to a jet that has any legs. Its easy to operate. Its safe as hell. Holds a ton. If anything hold out for the 24. But haul pickles or chickens or something every once in a while.

Yes I agree and that's the conclusion I always come to.

The other alternative is a used CJ3 and maybe tell some folks they'll have to fly commercial. All I really need is a CJ3.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 09:25 

I would suspect the 12 is one of the most chartered planes in America right now.

100%

www.planesense.com

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 09:47 

Post Likes: +3608
Aircraft: Piper M600
Connecticut to Ft. Lauderdale isn't "west bound in winter".

Right now headwinds West bound ATL to ASE are -67@FL450 and -59@FL260 and -36@16,500'

I'd do the whole thing at 16,500' VFR in 5 hours.. CJ3 could do it at FL400 in 3:35 non stop.

Not legally or safely ;-)

Attachment:
1.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 09:49 

Maybe not today but I've done it many times before.

Also, you can fly IFR at 16k'.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 10:01 

Maybe not today but I've done it many times before.

Also, you can fly IFR at 16k'.

Occasionally flying low in a TP saves time, and more rarely fuel, often when the winds are high, though, that means weather is being pushed in as well. Nice to have options.

On a trip from your neck of the woods to Denver a few weeks ago, had icing Airmets to FL280, which would usually be an overcall, but even the hot wings were reporting it into the twenties as well, so had to go up to 280 (stopped icing up ice around 270) which put me into 90+ knot winds on the nose. Was looking at Bonanza ground speeds for a while, but it was that or watch ice collect ;-) Low didn't work that day, but we did it non-stop. Kids probably would have liked a jet that day though.

Attachment:
1.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 10:03 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
The flight to Colorado from Atlanta is long enough to warrant the jet..

Yes I agree and that's the conclusion I always come to.

The other alternative is a used CJ3 and maybe tell some folks they'll have to fly commercial. All I really need is a CJ3.[/quote]

Used 3 is a good deal. Put the fusion in it and you’re set.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 10:51 

Post Likes: +68
Aircraft: M600

An M600 won't do faster than 262 at FL260? What's the limiting factor?

Physics? The good news is it only burns 38 gph to do that speed.

Between the wind gradient, weather and terrain I find it's pretty rare when flying lower is a viable option. In 1,000 hours of TP flying, it's worked out for me twice including yesterday. Going from Salt Lake City to Portland, I flew at 16,000 feet going 245 TAS burning 48 gallons an hour and doing 205 knots over the ground. Total trip time 3 hours. At FL 260 I would have been going 20 knots faster TAS and burning 40 gallons an hour but I also would have 90+ knots on the nose so the trip would have taken 3.5 hours. Total fuel used would have been the same. Flying low saved 30 minutes.

Coming home I was at FL 270 going 268 knots TAS with 105 knots of wind at the tail and I made it back in 1.7 hours on 70 gallons of Jet A. Really something to be said for jet speeds.

The correct answer is the M2.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 20:42 

Coming home I was at FL 270 going 268 knots TAS with 105 knots of wind at the tail and I made it back in 1.7 hours on 70 gallons of Jet A. Really something to be said for jet speeds.

The correct answer is the M2.

Dang Paul. Almost hit the illustrious SETP 400 knots ground speed yesterday. I would have hit headwinds both directions. ;)

Attachment:
1.jpg

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 01:32 

Post Likes: +23
Aircraft: PIlatus PC-12/47
S560 requires 2 pilots.
Jason, I don't think you have all the facts on this.

Like you, I'm a PC-12 owner and fan. But:

Single pilot exemption is available for the 560 series. About a half day of extra training above/beyond normal transition/type rating. You would seem to qualify in terms of experience. You've previously written you expect to get a jet "some time" so this (and the additional continuing extra training) should not be a big consideration.

Also, in the original 560, the Garmin 600 TXi is available for a very reasonable price ($150k-ish). (Go talk to Micah at EPPS - they are installing a new 600 in a 560 right now as of the date of this post).

For the later 560 series (Ultra and Encore), the Garmin 650/750 is available now. Rob at Jettech (which has the STC for the existing legacy 560 upgrade) says that he expects the 600 TXi to be available for the remainder of the 560 series in 2019 with the Garmin autopilot to follow for all shortly thereafter. Arguably, there's an arbitrage opportunity available now to get an Ultra with an eye to adding the Garmin system in a year. (Jason, you've previously written you prefer Garmin).

I've checked all the numbers and given that PC-12 owners are effectively required to pay retail for (excellent) maintenance of the PC-12 (I do mine at EPPS too), you can purchase a legacy 560 for half the cost, two-thirds the annual MX cost and 60% more DOC (40% more per mile).

That legacy 560 does everything a CJ3 does (more actually as the cabin is more like a CJ4) at less the MX but 1/3 more fuel burn. If you are flying less than 200 hours annually, it's a no brainer for an owner/pilot who can't deduct large portions of the costs and wants a capable and well supported jet and who doesn't mind when the aircraft was originally built and delivered.

Compared to the PC-12, you trade historically excellent resale and the ability to land at Staniel Key and similar short fields (unless you are willing to disregard standards and assume your thrust reversers are always going to deploy).

But, otherwise, the 560 series is a more than adequate replacement for the PC-12 in terms of range and load on a (fully amortized) dollars to miles basis except for:

1. Cabin size (560, like all Citations, is a small cabin tube).
2. Loading convenience (that big door in the PC-12 is really great!)
3. Short/rough landing and take off.
4. Exterior/interior appearance (assuming you don't make those investments).

Also, the safety record for this Cessna series is slightly better than the (excellent) PC-12 record too!

So, why don't I trade mine? Answer:

1. I've debugged my PC-12 and would prefer to avoid the process with a new old plane.
2. It does the mission at a reasonable per mile cost (even though slow for the 900 NM trips I do frequently).
3. Inertia and laziness regarding sale and purchase and transition training.
4. I do go to short fields (like Staniel) fairly frequently and I like not worrying about going to 2/2/2 fields in the winter otherwise without concern too.

But, I'd put a million in the bank if I traded.

Those are my excuses.

Jason, you seem to be a facts and reason based person. Why are you disregarding this option?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 08:56 

Jason, you seem to be a facts and reason based person. Why are you disregarding this option?

Does the cockpit look like Apollo 11? Adding a screen or 2 probably doesn't wipe out all the little round dials. Do I have to adjust pressurization and a million other things that I don't have to do in PC12?

I just looked at them on Controller. All for sale have thousands of hours on the airframe. No trailing link gear. It looks like something off the TV show Dallas. It's not gonna work for me.

The Falcon 20 I flew on recently was 100 years old also but at least it was a good looking airplane.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 09:08 

1. I've debugged my PC-12 and would prefer to avoid the process with a new old plane.
2. It does the mission at a reasonable per mile cost (even though slow for the 900 NM trips I do frequently).
4. I do go to short fields (like Staniel) fairly frequently and I like not worrying about going to 2/2/2 fields in the winter otherwise without concern too.

Those are my reasons also. I'd also add that a big reason I'd buy the jet and the reason many people buy the jet is "image". The Citation V just isn't a good looking airplane.

Pose the same question to all the Phenom 100 owners. Why buy the Phenom 100 with 1000NM range and 400LB full fuel payload????? Image! Phenom 100 is a great looking airplane with a fat cat airstair door. To non-airplane owners it looks like a GV.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 10:48 

Post Likes: +661
S560 requires 2 pilots.
Jason, I don't think you have all the facts on this.

Single pilot exemption is available for the 560 series. About a half day of extra training above/beyond normal transition/type rating. You would seem to qualify in terms of experience. You've previously written you expect to get a jet "some time" so this (and the additional continuing extra training) should not be a big consideration.

Also, in the original 560, the Garmin 600 TXi is available for a very reasonable price ($150k-ish). (Go talk to Micah at EPPS - they are installing a new 600 in a 560 right now as of the date of this post).

For the later 560 series (Ultra and Encore), the Garmin 650/750 is available now. Rob at Jettech (which has the STC for the existing legacy 560 upgrade) says that he expects the 600 TXi to be available for the remainder of the 560 series in 2019 with the Garmin autopilot to follow for all shortly thereafter. Arguably, there's an arbitrage opportunity available now to get an Ultra with an eye to adding the Garmin system in a year. (Jason, you've previously written you prefer Garmin).

I've checked all the numbers and given that PC-12 owners are effectively required to pay retail for (excellent) maintenance of the PC-12 (I do mine at EPPS too), you can purchase a legacy 560 for half the cost, two-thirds the annual MX cost and 60% more DOC (40% more per mile).

That legacy 560 does everything a CJ3 does (more actually as the cabin is more like a CJ4) at less the MX but 1/3 more fuel burn. If you are flying less than 200 hours annually, it's a no brainer for an owner/pilot who can't deduct large portions of the costs and wants a capable and well supported jet and who doesn't mind when the aircraft was originally built and delivered.

Compared to the PC-12, you trade historically excellent resale and the ability to land at Staniel Key and similar short fields (unless you are willing to disregard standards and assume your thrust reversers are always going to deploy).

But, otherwise, the 560 series is a more than adequate replacement for the PC-12 in terms of range and load on a (fully amortized) dollars to miles basis except for:

Also, the safety record for this Cessna series is slightly better than the (excellent) PC-12 record too!

Those are my excuses.

Can you elaborate on why the 560 MX cost is less than the CJ3 or PC12?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 12:43 

Post Likes: +6452
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33

Those are my excuses.

I shared this with JH I (dad) who had been working in the bizjet world since the late 60's (pilot thru management into consulting, and now managing again "for fun"...at 79)

Thought you all might like to see his reply:

Quote:
Good analysis but engine overhaul can be more than the value of the aircraft. An engine program is a must on aircraft purchased. Citation V P & W JT15D-5A TBO 3500/hrs - overhaul cost $600K each engine. The Citation 560 Ultra, same.
The Citation Encore P&W 535B TBO 5000/hours - cost to overhaul $800K each.

Operators of JT15D engine without a program look for low time engines for sale.

P&W engine programs average $400.00 per hour.

I'm sure you knew all of that, but I am posting for the benefit of others.

Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next