banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 18:54 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Piper Aztec model Changes?
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 18:13 

Post Likes: +469
Aircraft: 1957 Bonanza H35
Username Protected wrote:
Sandy, what are the major AD’s on these planes? What are the major problems to look for?

Michael,

Not any onerous AD's on the Aztec. What AD's there are tend to be pretty run of the mill. There's an AD on the F-model stabilators with the "horns" on the tip to check for cracking in multiple areas. I'm pretty sure there is a permanent fix for that, however there is a good reason that Piper went back to the "hornless" design for the last of the F-model run. I believe the airplane flies much better without them...plus the cracking.

As for problem areas I would start with the exhaust and the cowlings. Not the best design for either, and that is being charitable. The cowlings are a two man job to remove/install, and best those two men have some experience too. The stock exhaust routes a lot of heat along the front/bottom section of the cowlings (which are two separate pieces, so times two), requiring fixes which over time can relegate that section of cowling to a patched up disaster. We just overhauled both engines (2250 hours apiece, one was still running perfectly, different subject!) and at that time installed a greatly improved STC exhaust that eliminates that problem area. I don't recall the name of the company, it wasn't cheap but what the heck is on these things? There is also a cowling redesign STC but it is obscenely expensive.

Second area I would pay close attention too is the elevator cable/bellcrank and the elevator trim system. We had some subtle control feel issues on an E-model that turned into a real mess, and it could have become downright dangerous. We ended up replacing pretty much the entire system back there. Speaking of about 4 years ago an F-model (an extremely nice and well maintained F-model) departed my home airport under benign conditions and experienced a failure of the elevator trim cable on initial climb. Only some superior airmanship prevented 5 fatalities. I heard there was talk of an AD but I am not aware of anything further.

The hydraulic control units are one more thing to watch. In general it is a good and reliable system with good backup(s). Our airplane has one pump and I don't worry much about that. We practice pumping gear up and down with the left engine caged here and there... really isn't much too it, especially considering the benign handling characteristics. However if your control unit goes bad there is one quirk to keep in mind, and that is you can't really buy a hydraulic line kit for an Aztec and expect it to just fit. There is a lot of labor that goes into hand trimming every line to fit. So expect that bill on top of the bill to have the control unit overhauled.

Finally I would say that unless you NEED a turbo Aztec to just stick to the N/A version...but I make that recommendation with pretty much all types of piston aircraft.

Hope that helps!

Sandy

This is a great post! Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 21:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +55
Company: Fly By Knight, Inc.
Aircraft: H35, B58, PA28, PA34
I'd suggest also taking a close look at the steel tubing around the nose gear drag brace attach point - this is the lowest point and I guess settling area for moisture.

As mentioned before stock engine cowling R&R is a real pain however AztecNomad has an STC to split the lower cowl forward of the air intake on NA aircraft that really simplifies access.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 09:44 

Post Likes: +61
Aircraft: PA27, BE9L, CE560XL
Username Protected wrote:
Out here in the mountainous and icy Pacific Northwest, my turbo F model is the only way to go.

Aztecs are fantastic machines and great reliability.

Without a doubt, if you cross mountains and deal with ice, they are just about unbeatable. Back east here we are better off without the expense of the turbo.

Sandy

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2018, 08:05 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Sandy,

I find this thread interesting because I am moving on the purchase of an older model Aztec. That's kind of a silly description: all Aztecs are "older" models.

Don't need one, but I got my multi instruction in a '57 Apache when I was 13 and always wanted an Aztec. The only real "purpose" of owning it is to have something to fly while I finish the refurbishment of my Cessna 180; paint and engine upgrade will put ground it for quite a while. Seems that nothing happens quickly these days with airplanes.

Thanks for your input.

Jg

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2