Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Piper Lance/Saratoga Forward Facing Seats Dilemma
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 19:27 

Post Likes: +17
Aircraft: PA32, A306
Username Protected wrote:
Recognizing this is an old post, the info on this thread is accurate, but I want to build on it a little more.

I am wrestling with this dilemma myself. I have a ’76 Lance with row seating. My serial number is covered in the TCDS saying it is optional to convert my plane to club seating (S/N 32R-7680001 through 32R-7880068). But when I pull the floor board, none of the brackets or hardware exist for the club seating attachments, therefore to convert so that it matches Piper’s drawings would involve some structural work and I don’t want to chase that trail.

My question: Why can’t I attached the club seating's seat belts to the front seat belt anchor points? I can’t see why it would impact airworthiness or safety. In the event of a crash, it should be a forward impact so the club seating belts would have minimal load on them.

The floorboard modification appears relatively easy, but the seat belt attach points is where I hit a snag. There are a few salvage yards that have seats/floorboard for sale, they all seem to want a premium $3,000+. I don’t want to spend the money if I can’t complete the project.

Thanks for any insight!

Chad,
We're working on converting our 1977 Cherokee Six to club seating. I also didn't want to spend the $3,000+ premium for a salvaged club seating "package". The hunt for the components required by the club seating diagram in the parts manual (and the ones from the Piper drawings that the parts manual doesn't call out) has been a time consuming ordeal. That said, I was able to purchased everything except for one gusset plate for the outboard seat belt attachment. That part will be owner produced based on Piper drawings & it's counterpart on the other side of the plane. I have just over $3,000 in parts at this time, but many of those parts weren't included in the salvaged packages I saw for sale.

Also, I've been thoroughly impressed with Piper during my research. Every time I emailed their airframe department with a question there was a screenshot of the applicable drawing with highlighted info in my inbox the next morning... not bad for an out-of-production 43-year old airplane.

Cheers,
-Nate

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 13:37 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: Piper Lance
Very cool Nate, I hope the conversion goes well! I have no doubt that chasing all of the parts was very time consuming. I would love to hear more about it once you have it complete.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 11:04 

Post Likes: +1
Recognizing this is an old post, the info on this thread is accurate, but I want to build on it a little more.

I am wrestling with this dilemma myself. I have a ’76 Lance with row seating. My serial number is covered in the TCDS saying it is optional to convert my plane to club seating (S/N 32R-7680001 through 32R-7880068). But when I pull the floor board, none of the brackets or hardware exist for the club seating attachments, therefore to convert so that it matches Piper’s drawings would involve some structural work and I don’t want to chase that trail.

My question: Why can’t I attached the club seating's seat belts to the front seat belt anchor points? I can’t see why it would impact airworthiness or safety. In the event of a crash, it should be a forward impact so the club seating belts would have minimal load on them.

The floorboard modification appears relatively easy, but the seat belt attach points is where I hit a snag. There are a few salvage yards that have seats/floorboard for sale, they all seem to want a premium $3,000+. I don’t want to spend the money if I can’t complete the project.

Thanks for any insight!

Chad,
We're working on converting our 1977 Cherokee Six to club seating. I also didn't want to spend the $3,000+ premium for a salvaged club seating "package". The hunt for the components required by the club seating diagram in the parts manual (and the ones from the Piper drawings that the parts manual doesn't call out) has been a time consuming ordeal. That said, I was able to purchased everything except for one gusset plate for the outboard seat belt attachment. That part will be owner produced based on Piper drawings & it's counterpart on the other side of the plane. I have just over $3,000 in parts at this time, but many of those parts weren't included in the salvaged packages I saw for sale.

Also, I've been thoroughly impressed with Piper during my research. Every time I emailed their airframe department with a question there was a screenshot of the applicable drawing with highlighted info in my inbox the next morning... not bad for an out-of-production 43-year old airplane.

Cheers,
-Nate

Hey Nate! Did you complete your project? Any interior pics? I’m curious about this and the cost/time involved as I begin my search for a 6 seat piper myself.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 12:08 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: Piper Lance

Hey Nate! Did you complete your project? Any interior pics? I’m curious about this and the cost/time involved as I begin my search for a 6 seat piper myself.

Michael,
I will let Nate chime in and answer your question regarding progress/pictures, the last I messaged him the conversion was in progress.

FWIW, My experience is that if you are looking for a six seat piper, purchase one with the seat configuration you want. I’ve took a couple swings at getting the club seat conversion done, and even though I have a type certificate data sheet saying my plane can be converted to club seating, I have really struck out trying to find a shop willing to take the project on. Lots of non-returned phone calls or not able replies.

I do figure if I have the seat conversion done, the actual costs I have in the seating will be much higher than any value added. But it is a cost I'm willing to endure.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 17:46 

Post Likes: +1126
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
If your tall (I’m 6’2) I find I need to have the pilot seat a few notches further forward than I’m comfortable with all forward facing seats in a Cherokee 6. Otherwise there is no legroom for the middle passenger.

But for scenic ride situation most pax seemed to prefer all forward facing.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2