banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 02:48 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Oshkosh - any Cessna SETP news ?
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 11:12 

Post Likes: +1070
Aircraft: Airbus, King Air 350
Username Protected wrote:
As far as hitting the magical 320 knots, the difference in a 265 knot Pilatus and a 320 knot Denali would be a whopping 18 minutes on the 600 nm trip from Salt Lake to Seattle with a light headwind. Small changes in speed do not make as big a change in flight time as some think. Can burn way more time with inefficient flight planning, longer pre-flights etc. I have a friend that flies a Mustang. Quite often I would pull into the airport, see his Mustang outside the hanger loading, preflighting, attached to the GPU, fueling etc. I would drive in, do a thorough preflight, clearance, taxi out and take off, with his plane still on the ground. Pretty sure my total travel time pretty much everywhere in my slow TP was almost always less than his speedy Mustang ;)

No doubt my flight planning more than makes up for the difference in a faster airplane. But imagine marrying my flight planning and the extra 35 knots!!!

Speed sells airplanes. If the Denali is 35 knots faster than the PC12 it will be hard to sell a PC12.

Lets see what the actual sales price is. And range. Any fuel stop enroute kills your time spent traveling to that big meeting.

You can bolt a nascar engine onto a Honda Civic and it is faster. so what

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 11:14 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Lets see what the actual sales price is. And range. Any fuel stop enroute kills your time spent traveling to that big meeting.

Totally agree but that didn't keep all the mini jet manufacturers from selling mini jets. People see that 425 knot speed on the Honda Jet and all logic goes out the window. I have 2 friends that regret that purchase.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 11:47 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
You have to think about the speed from a "what is the maximum headwind I'll face" point of view. I was ready to shoot myself in the head on trips back from the East Coast in the KA when I was seeing 180KTS.... (I'd call anything under 200kts my "suicide speed"). I know that everyone thinks Turbo props can duck under the winds but I never saw a circumstance where that really ever paid off.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 14:01 

Post Likes: +1962
Aircraft: Columbia 400
I think the whole very light jet thing has played out.

Cirrus has their niche carved out, but everyone else in the very light, or very, very, very light jet game has exited, prior to entering in most cases. Piper was relatively far along and quit. Cessna stopped making the Mustang, after I'm sure the Textron bean counters counted that there were no more beans to market them to. Eclipse - I have no idea. Phenom 100 has tapered down to under 20 per year.

Other than Cirrus, all single engine very (very) light jets were stillborn.

The VLJ twin engine range is still with us, but it is settling out at the M2/Phenom 300 as the floor, rather than the Mustang/P100. And let's face it, that's what people who want to ride around in a thing called a jet are interested in at the very, very bottom: a very mini personal airliner. Two engines, leather seats, wifi and a potty, even if it is an RV potty. Oh and some of those people in white shirts and bars on their shoulders to drive it.

The SETP market is the step up from pistons and it is more or less the top of the heap for owner-flown aircraft, with a few climbing the highest steeples of flying SP-certified jets.

The Denali doesn't seem to hit any magic pain points in the market, unless you just don't like the Swiss, or the French, or Vero Beachians. I have doubts they're going to find 35kts that Pilatus left on the table, especially after all the iterations of the PC12 at this point. I doubt that Textron is going to be any less-bureaucratic than Pilatus or TBM to work with on parts and support. That hasn't been my experience owning one of their "orphans".

So what do you get in the Denali? Well, there's always the all new engine from GE.....

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 16:30 

You have to think about the speed from a "what is the maximum headwind I'll face" point of view. I was ready to shoot myself in the head on trips back from the East Coast in the KA when I was seeing 180KTS.... (I'd call anything under 200kts my "suicide speed"). I know that everyone thinks Turbo props can duck under the winds but I never saw a circumstance where that really ever paid off.

Yup. All true for me too.

However, I have many times flown Atlanta to Denver non stop at 6500' in the winter and stayed below the headwinds and sometimes have a tail wind. Refuel then climb to the ski resorts. Saved me an hour compared to flying higher with the 100 knot headwind.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 16:50 

Post Likes: +4650
I know that everyone thinks Turbo props can duck under the winds but I never saw a circumstance where that really ever paid off.

This is my primary opposition to turboprops, I often fly under/around the convective stuff (20nm distance when able) and occasionally for wind, if I were in a turboprop I would be stuck up in the middle of it, or that's my assumption

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 17:06 

This is my primary opposition to turboprops, I often fly under/around the convective stuff (20nm distance when able) and occasionally for wind, if I were in a turboprop I would be stuck up in the middle of it, or that's my assumption

Never happened to me. Of course I've vectored for storms..... usually the same exact storms Delta is vectoring around. I can't count the number of 1000+nm flights I've done non stop. Hundreds!

These guys that claim to "be above the weather all the time" are full of it. Sometimes? yes. Every time? no.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 18:49 

Post Likes: +3603
Aircraft: Piper M600
I know that everyone thinks Turbo props can duck under the winds but I never saw a circumstance where that really ever paid off.

You can fly an SETP low and pretty efficiently. Here is 11,000 feet at 248 KTAS in an M600 burning 365 pph which at my average JetA price is $191/hr in fuel which is pretty cheap for the performance.

Just remember if you are under class B, or close to Class C or D and ATC asks "say airspeed" reply 200 knots indicated and then look at the ASI to ensure you are not busting any speed limits. ;)

It is not too common to find wind gradients that justify flying low. Often if the winds aloft are that high, the air down low or the weather down low is just bad,. On those days, you fly high in smooth air, above the weather even with 100 knots on the nose. The low flyers are usually stowed safely in a tie down or hangar on such days. Occasionally, though, the gradient is high, the weather below benign at which time the SETP is just plain confidence inspiring, coolly humming along with seemingly limitless power, as the ground zips by stunningly fast.

Attachment:
1 (6).jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 08:33 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
In the TBM I will take the headwinds and stay at FL270/280.
It never works to stay low in the turbulence and burn a ton of fuel.

Yup. All true for me too.

However, I have many times flown Atlanta to Denver non stop at 6500' in the winter and stayed below the headwinds and sometimes have a tail wind. Refuel then climb to the ski resorts. Saved me an hour compared to flying higher with the 100 knot headwind.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 08:50 

It works for me as I've already stated.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 10:28 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
Probably because the PC12 is 50 kts slower than the TBM 850 and you like flying VFR.

It works for me as I've already stated.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 10:33 

Probably because the PC12 is 50 kts slower than the TBM 850 and you like flying VFR.

I don't like flying VFR.... I love it. You can fly IFR at 6k'.

100 knot headwind at FL260 or a 12 knot tail wind at 6500'. I had this exact scenario last ski season. It's not rocket science.

If I was in a CJ3 I'd go to FL450. I use the tools that are available to me.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 16:33 

Probably because the PC12 is 50 kts slower than the TBM 850

Hence the desire for a PC12 that's 50 knots faster.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 17:17 

Post Likes: +1070
Aircraft: Airbus, King Air 350
Probably because the PC12 is 50 kts slower than the TBM 850

Hence the desire for a PC12 that's 50 knots faster.

yeah but unlikely this will happen in a PC-12 sized airplane via one engine.

if it does, hey great, I will consider myself proven wrong

but....

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 17:18 

Post Likes: +622
Aircraft: Conquest

Totally agree but that didn't keep all the mini jet manufacturers from selling mini jets. People see that 425 knot speed on the Honda Jet and all logic goes out the window. I have 2 friends that regret that purchase.

You have friends who regret buying a Honda Jet? I'm curious, for what reason(s)?

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next