Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Voltage & Amperage Readings - T182T and GPU, with A/C
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 11:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8
Company: dow.cc
Aircraft: 2009 Cessna T182T
I am familiar, but haven’t tried it at an FBO. I am looking at GPU’s. I’d like to find two used ones for use in my hangars (lake house and home field). Been borrowing one from the shop where I keep my plane. I’ve checked eBay, Trade-A-Plane and Barnstormer. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 17:07 

Post Likes: +71
Company: Cruce Aircraft Services
Aircraft: Learjet 55, C-310
Not the same airplane but an a/c question, if you have electric a/c can you keep the batteries off when you hook to an apu and run the a/c? Only plane I’ve had a/c in was a Learjet and you have to turn on a battery momentarily to close the curcuit to the apu.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 19:59 

WWW  Profile

My plane is equipped just like many new Cessnas. Done under the same STC. Hook up the gpu and hit a button on the outside of the aircraft. A/C turns on and pre-cools the interior. Pretty cool (no pun intended). That’s all that’s required. A lineman at the FBO doesn’t have to get in the aircraft and do anything.

All electric, so no restrictions on take-offs or landings.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 20:58 

Post Likes: +71
Company: Cruce Aircraft Services
Aircraft: Learjet 55, C-310
Username Protected wrote:
My plane is equipped just like many new Cessnas. Done under the same STC. Hook up the gpu and hit a button on the outside of the aircraft. A/C turns on and pre-cools the interior. Pretty cool (no pun intended). That’s all that’s required. A lineman at the FBO doesn’t have to get in the aircraft and do anything.

That’s pretty awesome.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 08:03 

Post Likes: +1055
Aircraft: V35

That’s pretty awesome.

Agreed. That is pretty neato!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 23:15 

Post Likes: +5805
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58
I’m wondering if there’s any way to have the AC turn on automatically when power is applied to the external port. I’ve got a Baron 58 that’s getting the same electric AC as above and I’d like to put it on one of the cell phone switches that everyone uses for their Tanis heaters. Then I could call the hangar half an hour before I get there and have the plane all cooled off.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 12:37 

WWW  Profile

Can’t say. Seems like it would be pretty simple to do. Satisfying the FAA might be the challenge.

Air conditioning MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE in level of comfort. I didn’t appreciate the difference. Heat doesn’t necessarily bother me. I am also accustom to flying and getting hot. A/C is just a totally new experience.

My wife actually asks to go flying now that I have A/C.

From a training and safety standpoint, A/C is also very helpful. Much better learning environment in a cool cockpit. In the event of an emergency, I think I’d make a more appropriate response. Be “cooler”, literally and figuratively.

Not cheap, but worth it. I’d do it again.

I’d highly recommend the folks at Kelly.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 12:47 

WWW  Profile

Addendum—I did buy a GPU from Audio Authority, in Lexington KY. Good experience so far, but I’ve had for just a couple of weeks. Folks at Audio authority were helpful + did what they said they’d do, as promised. GPU is well built. It’s heavy, which I think is good.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 21:34 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I’m wondering if there’s any way to have the AC turn on automatically when power is applied to the external port. I’ve got a Baron 58 that’s getting the same electric AC as above and I’d like to put it on one of the cell phone switches that everyone uses for their Tanis heaters. Then I could call the hangar half an hour before I get there and have the plane all cooled off.

As long as you can power the AC from the external power connection without turning the bus master on all you'd need to do is switch the AC on after shutting down, connect the external power source to the airplane, and have the cellphone switch control the utility power to the external power source.

My B55 is wired such that this would work just fine. I don't know if yours is the same but it's easy to check. Just connect an external power source and fire it up with the battery master off and see if the electrical equipment (e.g. beacon, strobes, flaps) works normally.

One caution is that you need a well regulated external power source for this, not a battery charger or starting booster. The voltage output from the source needs to be close to 28 volts with no load as with the full load of the AC.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 02:03 

Post Likes: +74

As long as you can power the AC from the external power connection without turning the bus master on all you'd need to do is switch the AC on after shutting down, connect the external power source to the airplane, and have the cellphone switch control the utility power to the external power source.

My B55 is wired such that this would work just fine. I don't know if yours is the same but it's easy to check. Just connect an external power source and fire it up with the battery master off and see if the electrical equipment (e.g. beacon, strobes, flaps) works normally.

One caution is that you need a well regulated external power source for this, not a battery charger or starting booster. The voltage output from the source needs to be close to 28 volts with no load as with the full load of the AC.

Don't think it would work on this system - the switches to turn AC on are not mechanical switches - it is a digital type keypad which defaults to off and can't be turned on without FIRST having power.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 23:45 

Don't think it would work on this system - the switches to turn AC on are not mechanical switches - it is a digital type keypad which defaults to off and can't be turned on without FIRST having power.

That's unfortunate. Perhaps the manufacturer of the AC would be willing to add an external switch input or keypad entry to "arm" the controller for startup the next time power is applied. It would be fairly simple to do that from a technical perspective and with just a little more effort the controller could even be programmed to recognize the difference between firing up on external power vs turning the battery master on prior to starting the engine.

Depending on the required user input to start the AC, it might be possible to rig a mechanical device that "presses" the appropriate switch(es) causing the AC to turn on when power is applied. Worst case it would involve a small solenoid and a simple circuit to delay the button activation as needed after the external power comes on.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 17:23 

Post Likes: +5805
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58

That's unfortunate. Perhaps the manufacturer of the AC would be willing to add an external switch input or keypad entry to "arm" the controller for startup the next time power is applied. It would be fairly simple to do that from a technical perspective and with just a little more effort the controller could even be programmed to recognize the difference between firing up on external power vs turning the battery master on prior to starting the engine.

Depending on the required user input to start the AC, it might be possible to rig a mechanical device that "presses" the appropriate switch(es) causing the AC to turn on when power is applied. Worst case it would involve a small solenoid and a simple circuit to delay the button activation as needed after the external power comes on.

Yep, but now we're getting complicated. I will be getting a GPU so the AC can be running while I preflight though. Priorities...

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 14:15 

Yep, but now we're getting complicated. I will be getting a GPU so the AC can be running while I preflight though. Priorities...

Uncomplicated, capable, and inexpensive. At best you can usually get two of three and often it's down to one.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 18:41 

Post Likes: +432
Aircraft: 1979 Baron 58P

I have never understood this argument. What about an electrical A/C system distinguishes it in this way? You’re still using engine power to run it.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 22:45 

I have never understood this argument. What about an electrical A/C system distinguishes it in this way? You’re still using engine power to run it.

A 100A 28v alternator produces a maximum 2800W and assuming around 90% efficiency that's about 4HP. A fully loaded automotive type AC compressor can load the engine about three times that. Also, the load will never be more than the alternator's rating vs a mechanically driven compressor which will allow the load to increase dramatically if the compressor output is restricted sufficiently. It's probably not the fact that it's electrically powered, just the lighter and limited load that allows it to be run on takeoff.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next