Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Pilatus PC-24 on dirt
PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 19:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +52
Aircraft: 601P
Hi Carl

Thanks for the considered reply (I was worried it could have degenerated quickly). Each to their own perspective. My take on 'by the people, for the people' is that the government should perform services (or provide a safety net) which are a basic right and so the ability to access shouldn't be determined by one's geographic location or financial situation.

In countries such as Australia (generalising ex-colonies of the UK that didn't have tea parties) there used to be a position that the government thought it could provide services on behalf of the people (for example, the government used to buy all wool produced in Australia for a set price and then market it across the world). Thankfully those days have gone. We still have areas where the government meddles where I don't think they should.

People who live in the "bush" as we call it (or the GAFA - Great Australian F* All - because there is F*-all out there) understand that if they have a life threatening accident then their chances of survival reduce due to the distance to hospital. Here economics plays a hand - there isn't an unlimited pool of money to play with to station jets everywhere on the off chance they'll be needed. However if you're seriously unwell or injured (or childbirth isnt going to plan) then you will get a ride to the medical care you need and there will be an equipped aircraft with nurse and doctor to care for you on the way.

The system isn't a panacea - we still have private health insurance available for those who want to top up their care - and it's far from perfect but if you believe that access to health care is a basic right then it's a system that works for us.

Regarding donations and public contribution - despite what much of the outside world may say about the USA, one thing we admire greatly is the philanthropic culture that goes along with the way you do things (one may say its a voluntary form of providing safety nets). I don't know for sure but the RFDS I would expect gets the majority of its funding from 'mum and dad' contributors putting $20 here, $50 there rather than from a smaller number of big benefactors. The number of $millionaire or $billionaires we have is far less (per head of population as well as absolutely) is far smaller but I'm embarrassed to say that our culture doesn't work on the same lines.

No offence taken. Our countries have a lot in common but a lot different. There are things I would take and things that I would leave from both if I had to put together an United States of Australia!

Erwin

No - the RFDS in Australia has only used (so far as I know) B200's (they use these in the south east where overwater flights are required) and PC12s in the turbine range. Other air-ambulance services use B350s and a number of remote area mines use a variety of jets for their own medivac requirements and often make them available to the public as well.

I don't work for them direct so couldn't help with issues about strip condition etc. If you look at the pprune website, there is an Australian section on there where you might get response from current and former pilots operating turbines into unimproved strips.

Regards
Richard

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 20:09 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Australia is roughly the size of the US

There are no major inland cities.

Imagine getting medevaced from dubuque to Charleston. Pc24 would matter.

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 22:33 

Post Likes: +661
Username Protected wrote:
Regarding donations and public contribution - despite what much of the outside world may say about the USA, one thing we admire greatly is the philanthropic culture that goes along with the way you do things (one may say its a voluntary form of providing safety nets). I don't know for sure but the RFDS I would expect gets the majority of its funding from 'mum and dad' contributors putting $20 here, $50 there rather than from a smaller number of big benefactors. The number of $millionaire or $billionaires we have is far less (per head of population as well as absolutely) is far smaller but I'm embarrassed to say that our culture doesn't work on the same lines.

I didn’t word it well, but I was thinking more along the lines of every day people when I referred to very generous citizenry.

I’ve always had a fondness and curiosity for Australia. After I get my PC-24 it’s going to be one of my first destinations. :cheers:

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 03:23 

Post Likes: +449
Aircraft: CE525,PA31
I don't know for sure but the RFDS I would expect gets the majority of its funding from 'mum and dad' contributors putting $20 here, $50 there rather than from a smaller number of big benefactors

Reviewing the 2018 financials.

Income Operating Revenue $ 77.7 (in thousands of dollars) mainly commonwealth and State Governments

Income Donations / Bequest $ 15.5

That’s 16.7% from Mum and Dads.

https://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/assets/ ... 18-web.pdf

We all know what happens when government is the main money source.

Get out Into the outback and talk to the people about the change in the RFDS over the years, it’s not what it used to be.

Check out the mission legs on the PC24.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHFMP

Andrew

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 10:54 

Andrew

Looks like the wrong tool for the job to me.

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 10:58 

I wonder if there were any significant compromises made to the PC24 in order to have dirt field performance?

Everytime I see that video I wince in pain with the thought of some of that dust being ingested into the engines.

Still think it's badass.

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 12:13 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
I don't know for sure but the RFDS I would expect gets the majority of its funding from 'mum and dad' contributors putting $20 here, $50 there rather than from a smaller number of big benefactors

Reviewing the 2018 financials.

Income Operating Revenue $ 77.7 (in thousands of dollars) mainly commonwealth and State Governments

Income Donations / Bequest $ 15.5

That’s 16.7% from Mum and Dads.

https://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/assets/ ... 18-web.pdf

We all know what happens when government is the main money source.

Get out Into the outback and talk to the people about the change in the RFDS over the years, it’s not what it used to be.

Andrew

:D

Always interesting when a true business person explains how things are really happening in dat der outback......

Richard brings up some very interesting points and I agree that some things should be paid for FROM the governments coffers.

What amuses me about people talking about government coffers is that somehow magically that money appeared there in there from thin air.

It comes from two sources and two sources only........until someone gives me another one of course :D

-- the government prints money
-- the government gets money from it's citizens

Now please don't make it political by spewing that people should be taxed and everything should be free.

What we are talking about here is a 12MM jet flying around on a dirt strip for 30 minutes at a time. The rest are perfect round trips from Adelaide. I'm sure those are training flights.

I think its cool that we are using Australian dollars to perfect the airplane........ :peace:

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 15:41 

Post Likes: +449
Aircraft: CE525,PA31
What we are talking about here is a 12MM jet flying around on a dirt strip for 30 minutes at a time. The rest are perfect round trips from Adelaide. I'm sure those are training flights.

Hey Mate, it gets better...

The Adelaide trips are to their new purpose built maintenance hangar costing $13M

https://www.mcmservices.com.au/new-faci ... r-service/

Andrew

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 20:52 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat

Hey Mate, it gets better...

The Adelaide trips are to their new purpose built maintenance hangar costing $13M

https://www.mcmservices.com.au/new-faci ... r-service/

Andrew

So when you moving to Monaco like me! ;)

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 02:49 

Post Likes: +6
The early adopters definitely saved some money, they just reopened order books and it went from a 9 million jet to an 11 million jet.

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 17:18 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +52
Aircraft: 601P
Searching flight radar or flight aware for vh-vwo gives a better picture of the true use of the pc24. VH FMP only arrived in April so one suspects pilot training/proving is going on. If it stays in Adelaide then it belongs to the SA/NT section which covers the entire North to south of Central Australia.

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 17:48 

Post Likes: +14
Aircraft: Commander 114
The same video from another angle and lots more details and facts. The RFDS in action.
These are the people that live in the outback.

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSsydney/vi ... 229152649/

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6