banner
banner

23 Apr 2024, 15:52 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the MU2
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 01:18 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
I only had less than 200 in 16 years on the airplane

32 training courses (assuming every 6 months), that works out to ~6 engine failures per course.

Seems light to me, not enough to cover inboard versus outboard, partial failure, on takeoff, in cruise, on glideslope, on runway prior to V1, in combination with other failures, IMC versus VMC, etc.

I train every 6 months as well. I need more than 6 to stay sharp, average about 15 per course. I'm an owner pilot flying a turboprop, not an airline god flying a jet.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 10:23 

Post Likes: +926
Aircraft: Aero Commander 980
How does the RAM air get past the fan?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 10:26 

WWW  Profile

How does the RAM air get past the fan?

Same way air goes past a stopped prop, flows between the blades.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 10:35 

If that fan looks like a prop it would be ineffective at best. If it looks like a fan it would block air flow when stopped.

How does the fan stop, when does It stop? It looks like it is shafted to the ACM with no switch.

I have looked at a few ACM diagrams and have never seen a shafted inline fan sharing a duct with RAM air.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 11:06 

WWW  Profile

I have looked at a few ACM diagrams and have never seen a shafted inline fan sharing a duct with RAM air.

Here's the rotating group diagram.
Attachment:
acm-shaft.png

Three parts: turbine rotor that drives everything and expands the air to cool it, compressor that elevates bleed air pressure and temperature, and ram air fan, all on same shaft. This shaft can turn very fast, maybe 50,000 RPM.

The ram air fan fits within a shroud not shown here which directs external (ram) air through the heat exchangers.

The diagram also shows the oil system, which is basically a small sump with wicks transporting oil to the bearings. There is no oil pump.

I am having some pictures taken to show the actual fan. It will be obvious air can flow past it when stopped. I'll post when I get them.

Mike C.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 11:27 

Post Likes: +8030
Aircraft: C-182
I only had less than 200 in 16 years on the airplane

32 training courses (assuming every 6 months), that works out to ~6 engine failures per course.

Seems light to me, not enough to cover inboard versus outboard, partial failure, on takeoff, in cruise, on glideslope, on runway prior to V1, in combination with other failures, IMC versus VMC, etc.

I train every 6 months as well. I need more than 6 to stay sharp, average about 15 per course. I'm an owner pilot flying a turboprop, not an airline god flying a jet.

Mike C.

I doubt there was any more than 6 engine failures per recurrent training sim session . They covered all anticipated scenarios in the syllabus including two engines out on one side approaches and landings. Each engine failure resulted in an approach if not a V1 abort. They included engine-out missed approaches. That was plenty. You fly them to ATP standards, all IMC. They take time and you don't get do overs just because you want to; there's a lot to cover in systems and flight control malfunctions in these sim sessions.

I would say my training was typical among carriers, and I'm sure the other pilots feel the recurrent training they get keeps them flying safely; the industry safety record supports that. The "airline gods" you refer to don't have the luxury of deciding to raise their minimums to double like you do; they fly to published minimums, all engines running or not. And for somebody that practices engine-outs about 3 times as much as everybody else does as you do, I would think that you would fly the approaches to established minimums too.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 11:50 

WWW  Profile

The "airline gods" you refer to don't have the luxury of deciding to raise their minimums

I didn't realize airline pilots couldn't use their judgment to abort an approach early.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 12:10 

The "airline gods" you refer to don't have the luxury of deciding to raise their minimums

I didn't realize airline pilots couldn't use their judgment to abort an approach early.

Mike C.

They can when a situation dictates; but not as a matter of routine operation. You seem to have set your engine-out approach minimums to double (800 feet) as SOP.

Something doesn't compute here. You say that you practice engine out approaches a number of times much more than most people, but you won't use an already raised engine-out minimum for your airplane. The FAA and Mitusbishi feel 400 feet is safe, but you don't?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 12:41 

Thanks, my inner nerd is curious.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 12:45 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1825
Company: RE/MAX at the Lake
Aircraft: Cirrus SR22
As the self proclaimed BT mediator (first shift June 8th), I would suggest a compromise of 600 feet.

Let's move on to discuss the meaning of "Whew dog". Was the phrase uttered too low, too high or just right. :)

Mike C.

They can when a situation dictates; but not as a matter of routine operation. You seem to have set your engine-out approach minimums to double (800 feet) as SOP.

Something doesn't compute here. You say that you practice engine out approaches a number of times much more than most people, but you won't use an already raised engine-out minimum for your airplane. The FAA and Mitusbishi feel 400 feet is safe, but you don't?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 13:07 

As the self proclaimed BT mediator (first shift June 8th), I would suggest a compromise of 600 feet.

Let's move on to discuss the meaning of "Whew dog". Was the phrase uttered too low, too high or just right. :)

[/quote]

Yes, good idea, were flogging a dead horse here.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 17:42 

WWW  Profile

You seem to have set your engine-out approach minimums to double (800 feet) as SOP.

Carefully read what I have written and you will find no place where I claim going around at 800 ft is an SOP.

Quote:
You say that you practice engine out approaches a number of times much more than most people, but you won't use an already raised engine-out minimum for your airplane.

I clearly have said I would continue the approach under some conditions.

You are confusing yourself and potentially others by making stuff up that hasn't been said.

Quote:
The FAA and Mitusbishi feel 400 feet is safe, but you don't?

If an engine quits at 800 ft, in heavy rain, with a known wrong weather observation, with the plane misconfigured for single engine flight, only 30 seconds from MDA, THEN I think it is "more safe" to go around than to press on with an uncertain approach.

I do not feel that you are irrevocably committed to taking the approach down to MDA once the engine fails, even if there is a DE on board. Nor do I feel a pilot is deficient if they choose to go around. Maybe you would criticize him for that decision, but I wouldn't.

There is a big difference between having the ability to do something and having the judgment not to.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 20:51 

You seem to have set your engine-out approach minimums to double (800 feet) as SOP.

Carefully read what I have written and you will find no place where I claim going around at 800 ft is an SOP.

Quote:
You say that you practice engine out approaches a number of times much more than most people, but you won't use an already raised engine-out minimum for your airplane.

I clearly have said I would continue the approach under some conditions.

You are confusing yourself and potentially others by making stuff up that hasn't been said.

Quote:
The FAA and Mitusbishi feel 400 feet is safe, but you don't?

If an engine quits at 800 ft, in heavy rain, with a known wrong weather observation, with the plane misconfigured for single engine flight, only 30 seconds from MDA, THEN I think it is "more safe" to go around than to press on with an uncertain approach.

I do not feel that you are irrevocably committed to taking the approach down to MDA once the engine fails, even if there is a DE on board. Nor do I feel a pilot is deficient if they choose to go around. Maybe you would criticize him for that decision, but I wouldn't.

There is a big difference between having the ability to do something and having the judgment not to.

Mike C.

:deadhorse:

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 21:27 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
While Paul makes sure the horse don’t get up. :D

Do not blindly assume that your NTS will save the day to where you can fly around thinking about steps 2 through 10 in your checklist.

Do not think you have all the time in the world to wind your watch or spend 30 seconds considering weather/alternates before confirming your power situation.

A timely and deliberate consideration of what your feet are telling you and what the ball is showing you is paramount.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 22:31 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3611
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z
While Paul makes sure the horse don’t get up. :D

Do not blindly assume that your NTS will save the day to where you can fly around thinking about steps 2 through 10 in your checklist.

Do not think you have all the time in the world to wind your watch or spend 30 seconds considering weather/alternates before confirming your power situation.

A timely and deliberate consideration of what your feet are telling you and what the ball is showing you is paramount.

When my right engine crapped out (-6 Mu2) in cruise at FL180 we could barely tell. The M4D autopilot reset the trim and we stared at the gauges wondering if it was real.
A barely discernible event except for the gauges trainwrecking.
Followed up with checklist and RTB.

Certainly different at high AOA & dirty.
On approach you would be golden.

C: 602-628-2701

Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next