banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 13:31 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Cirrus Jet
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 00:15 

Post Likes: +338
Aircraft: AA1B,PA28,PA18,CE500
Username Protected wrote:
I can't imagine an easier ATP checkride than a light, slow, centerline thrust jet.

And yet, not every SR22 pilot will pass it.

It just takes some time to think at 300 knots. And to develop the right speed control.

Mike C.

In the Citation X our normal cruise is Mach .90. The whole checkride an can be accomplished below 200kts except steep turns at 230kts. Type rides are more about working systems and avionics than really flying. Of course that’s assuming the normal applicant has good instrument skills already. A majority is done on the autopilot too.
Like the name implies it’s more about the specifics of that type of plane vs how to fly an ILS or other approach. If you can’t already do that part well, you’re screwed.

As Michael Tarver showed its more. Out learning the systems and procedures than anything else. The higher cruise speed of a jet doesn’t make the ride harder. Flying a fast piston twin or twin turboprop is harder.

For me after 2000 hrs in a 1900 with no autopilot my first jet type was a joke. Now after a few jet types and thousands of hours in them I’d sweating going back to a turboprop.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 00:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
As for Cirrus Jet - it has been proven already that it will stop under 5,000 ft without using brakes, which was the crux this discussion.

I think you have taken Jay's comment too literal. He said he "didn't brake", but I'm sure he used the brakes to some extent lightly. I took his comment to mean he didn't use heavy braking that would have been required on a minimal length runway.

He also said something about it being uphill.

Under the same circumstances, If you ask him to land and absolutely not to touch the brakes at all, he'd refuse to show you that if he is smart.

So, it is a statement, not "proof".

Mike C.

Last edited on 08 Jun 2018, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:29 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
I think you have taken Jay's comment too literal. He said he "didn't brake", but I'm sure he used the brakes to some extent lightly. I took his comment to mean he didn't use heavy braking that would have been required on a minimal length runway.

He also said something about it being uphill.

Under the same circumstances, If you ask him to land and absolutely not to touch the brakes at all, he'd refuse to show you that if he is smart.

So, it is hearsay, not "proven".

Mike C.

Um wrong (this is assuming I know the part of the video you are discussing). Hearsay is the report of another person's words by a witness. Jay was the pilot, he can state if he used the brakes or not. Now, you may choose to disbelieve him because of your own bias against the plane or him or experience that you feel somehow applies to the situation. But it is not hearsay.

Also, why is landing and not touching the brakes difficult to believe if there is a slight incline on a long runway?

Tim

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:31 

WWW  Profile

But it is not hearsay.

Edited to "testimony".

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:36 

But it is not hearsay.

Edited to "testimony".

Mike C.

:thumbup:

Tim

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:37 

Post Likes: +3381
Aircraft: planeless
But it is not hearsay.

Edited to "testimony".

Mike C.

You were more correct in your first answer IMO. It is closer to hearsay than testimony as Jay is not here to be examined.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:39 

WWW  Profile

It is closer to hearsay than testimony as Jay is not here to be examined.

Edited it to "statement".

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:41 

You were more correct in your first answer IMO. It is closer to hearsay than testimony as Jay is not here to be examined.

ok, now I am going on a complete thread drift.
A long time ago; I was taught hearsay is when one person relates what another witness/participant has stated. Testimony, is what a witness or participant of the event states.

So how does Jay, as the pilot of the SF50, relate not using the brakes qualify as closer to hearsay?

Tim

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:41 

It is closer to hearsay than testimony as Jay is not here to be examined.

Mike C.

:lol:

As I always say, if you can't argue with someone on the merits, just nit pick them to death.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:42 

Mike C.

:lol:

As I always say, if you can't argue with someone on the merits, just nit pick them to death.

lmao. Well played you two.

Tim

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 09:44 

ok, now I am going on a complete thread drift.
A long time ago; I was taught hearsay is when one person relates what another witness/participant has stated. Testimony, is what a witness or participant of the event states.

So how does Jay, as the pilot of the SF50, relate not using the brakes qualify as closer to hearsay?

Tim

Don't you think it fits the definition of "an out-of-court statement offered to prove the truth of matter asserted"? Namely the court being BT and the matter asserted is that no brakes were needed to land. And Jay is not available for cross examination. We've already had an unanswered question on whether he meant no brakes at all (as in came to a complete stop without touching them), or he just meant he only used light braking.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 10:13 

Don't you think it fits the definition of "an out-of-court statement offered to prove the truth of matter asserted"? Namely the court being BT and the matter asserted is that no brakes were needed to land. And Jay is not available for cross examination. We've already had an unanswered question on whether he meant no brakes at all (as in came to a complete stop without touching them), or he just meant he only used light braking.

Only if I repeat Jay's statement. Jay making the statement, is attesting to something. Now, if Jay is the participant of the event being related, than he is a direct witness. If you are the witness, your statement is a testament. Therefore, in the giving of the testament, it is a testimony.

Now, I am not a lawyer, so maybe lawyers have overlaid additional specific meaning to the words beyond what the English language stipulates.

Tim

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 10:18 

Post Likes: +22929
Aircraft: A33
And for us non-lawyers: Jay seems like a level headed fellow. He has actually flown the plane and says it stops easily. Someone else who hasn't set foot in one says it's hard to stop. Draw your own conclusions.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 20:33 

Post Likes: +106
To get off the semantics and back to the issue at hand, in the Eclipse we have actually tried the "no-brake" scenario. We had an engine shut down already in flight. So we landed and shut down the second engine on rollout and sat back to see what would happen. We stopped without any braking before the end of the runway, but not by much. It was a 10,000-foot runway.

Not to take sides here, but I wouldn't want to count on an SF50 stopping in 5000 feet with no brakes, especially if the engine is still going. Of course the SF50 has a little more frontal area and is therefore not quite as slick as an Eclipse on rollout, and its touchdown speed is a few knots slower, so it's likely to be a tad shorter for a no-brake rollout.

Ken

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 13:35 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9094
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
One next to me on the signature ramp at VNY today. Surprised how much bigger it looks in person... the cockpit is like a huge bubble. Very cool looking airplane.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next