Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Mustangs in Tulsa
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 20:56 

Post Likes: +3908
Aircraft: Warbirds
Username Protected wrote:
The P-51D wing on display in Germany.
The pilot lost his life in this battle.
The early D Models, has the bubble canopy, featured a change to the MLG System. Earlier A, B/C models had a hook to secure each gear leg up.
The D re engineered the system to only use Hyd pressure to hold the gear leg up. The leading edge of the wing was moved forward slightly inboard from gear leg to cowling and a slightly larger inner gear door with its own up locks was introduced.
These caused some structural failures and they quickly introduced a new gear leg up lock modification for the P-51D.

Compare the Tie Down Ring which appears as a long slot on the bottom of the wing.
On the WWII Wing in the German Museum it is almost touching the upper R/H edge of the Star and Bar Insignia.
On the recently repainted Bald Eagle the slot is bisected by the outboad edge of the Invasion Stripes with several inches of distance to the Insignia.
Attachment:
Tragfl%C3%A4che%20P-51.jpg

Attachment:
image1.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 18:25 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1718
Yea, that purple stuff is good stuff! My cheap mustang thanks you!

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 16:28 

WWW  Profile

All gussied up for spring.

Thanks again for the pirep on the purple stuff. It is still a fair amount of work, but now I think I can keep it shiny with just a little cyclo time. I’m much happier now.

By the way, my hangar neighbor got me to try “F11” on the painted surfaces. Looks like a win. Anything with wax here in Arkansas will not work out very well.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 14:31 

Post Likes: +1977
Company: Delta/ check o'the month club
Aircraft: 1968 Bonanza 36
How much T-6 time do you need to go to Mustangs? As I understand it, there are two companies that you can get to underwrite insurance on them - I believe it's 200 hours as the minimum. I'm pretty sure the CAF wants more like 500 T-6 hours to get in theirs.

How long till you are comfortable? I asked our own Stan Musick that when I first started flying T-6's. He's probably got 3,000 hours of fighter/trainer TW time. He said "If I ever get comfortable, I'll let you know". :bugeye: Point taken!

I did a 10 hour checkout in the T-6 in Kissimmee with Thom Richards. He knows just about every single thing about the T-6 and it was good (expensive) training. I felt qualified to fly in good conditions after that. Nothing beats recency though, I haven't flown the T-6 in about 2 months and I'm supposed to take it to the Columbus AFB airshow. I'll be minding my p's and q's; those things can get squirrely :dancing: !

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 15:38 

Post Likes: +12338
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
How much T-6 time do you need to go to Mustangs? As I understand it, there are two companies that you can get to underwrite insurance on them - I believe it's 200 hours as the minimum. I'm pretty sure the CAF wants more like 500 T-6 hours to get in theirs.

How long till you are comfortable? I asked our own Stan Musick that when I first started flying T-6's. He's probably got 3,000 hours of fighter/trainer TW time. He said "If I ever get comfortable, I'll let you know". :bugeye: Point taken!

I did a 10 hour checkout in the T-6 in Kissimmee with Thom Richards. He knows just about every single thing about the T-6 and it was good (expensive) training. I felt qualified to fly in good conditions after that. Nothing beats recency though, I haven't flown the T-6 in about 2 months and I'm supposed to take it to the Columbus AFB airshow. I'll be minding my p's and q's; those things can get squirrely :dancing: !

The CAF used to be 200 hours of T-6 time before going to fighters. We lowered it to 100 and in my view that was a mistake.

You can get insured with far less T-6 time than that, I have known people that went straight to the Mustang and got insured...

Here's the deal, a Mustang will make you feel like the King of the World. It is easy to fly and it will make you think you are a far better pilot than you are. And then it will kill you.

It all depends on what you want to do with the Mustang and your personality. If you are a hard charging type-A be careful. If you want to fly in the non-acro rat race airshows the T-6 time is REALLY important because you can learn how to fly in airshows and the SA required to do that at 150 kts instead of 250. This is huge... Flying a fighter in the airshow environment requires 360 degree SA at all times and flying the airplane has to be intuitive and happen at a sub-conscience level. The only way to gain this skill is by doing it, and if you don't have that skill, you wont have street cred, and won't be invited to participate in the "fun" gaggles.

So if the goal is to have fun and not get killed, get lots of time in a T-6 before venturing into the fighter world.

If the goal is to give rides around the local area on Sunday afternoons to pretty girls in a Mustang, straight into a Mustang is doable. One data point, most Mustang owners keep their T-6s. Flying a T-6 well is really rewarding. And it's a great community.

P.S. IMHO, T-6 is not squirrely, it is totally honest. If it is doing something, it is because the pilot told it to do it. And it is a FANTASTIC crosswind airplane if well flown. The only better crosswind airplane would be the Mustang.

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 22:10 

P.S. IMHO, T-6 is not squirrely, it is totally honest. If it is doing something, it is because the pilot told it to do it. And it is a FANTASTIC crosswind airplane if well flown. The only better crosswind airplane would be the Mustang.

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 07:43 

I stand corrected.

I did not mean for that to be snarky, and it was. My apologies.

The point I was trying to make, albiet not very elegantly, is the T-6 should feel like an old pair of Tony Lama's before moving to the Mustang, Both are wonderfully honest airplanes on the ground. And both are considerablely less well behaved in departed flight.

Have at Columbus.

Doug

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 08:01 

The point I was trying to make, albiet not very elegantly, is the T-6 should feel like an old pair of Tony Lama's before moving to the Mustang, Both are wonderfully honest airplanes on the ground. And both are considerablely less well behaved in departed flight.

Have at Columbus.

Doug

No, I think it just shows how much T-6 experience you actually need before moving on. Experience and IMO recency. If a pilot is still concerned about landing a T-6 then I guess it's a good thing he's just flying a T-6. :cheers:

edit*: I hope to get to go to CAFB. Some of my guys are taking jets to it, so I'd like to show up and surprise them. It all depends on this baby showing up - she was supposed to be here this past Wednesday but no luck so far. If baby is happy and healthy and momma is doing ok I'll go to CAFB. :cross:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 11:24 

No, I think it just shows how much T-6 experience you actually need before moving on. Experience and IMO recency. If a pilot is still concerned about landing a T-6 then I guess it's a good thing he's just flying a T-6. :cheers:

edit*: I hope to get to go to CAFB. Some of my guys are taking jets to it, so I'd like to show up and surprise them. It all depends on this baby showing up - she was supposed to be here this past Wednesday but no luck so far. If baby is happy and healthy and momma is doing ok I'll go to CAFB. :cross:[/quote]

Start flying the T-6 from the backseat, that will really up your game... The levers are all hooked to the same stuff and the airplane doesn't know what seat you're sitting in....

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 12:57 

WWW  Profile

And all I got from being in the army is a pair of combat boots that don't fit anymore :sad:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 18:47 

Have at Columbus.

Doug

edit*: I hope to get to go to CAFB. Some of my guys are taking jets to it, so I'd like to show up and surprise them. It all depends on this baby showing up - she was supposed to be here this past Wednesday but no luck so far. If baby is happy and healthy and momma is doing ok I'll go to CAFB. :cross:

Get the experience.
Fly the stuff with Mentors.
Take care of the baby and Momma, above all else.

PS- Everyone I know says its easier landing the P-51. Just get the experience 1st.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 21:40 

Get the experience.
Fly the stuff with Mentors.
Take care of the baby and Momma, above all else.

PS- Everyone I know says its easier landing the P-51. Just get the experience 1st.

Not trying to rush it. The more I fly the T-6 the more I like it. Regular joes can own them and it's not breaking the bank to say "hey, lets go fly our T-6's tomorrow". Another good thing about the T-6 is the community - high time guys everywhere you look so lots of good (and some average) mentoring to be had; and I'm trying to get as much as I can stand. I've heard the same about the Mustang, the Corsair maybe not.

Baby and Momma? C'mon man - they are my world, the rest of this is fun toys. :thumbup:

(they sure are fun though, ain't they? :pilot: )

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 14:53 

Post Likes: +114
Aircraft: Cessna 185
Rich and Doug, I really appreciate and enjoy your input about the Warbirds. On my bucket list is a trip to FL to fly the P-51, I have several friends and a cousin that have done that. My son's and I talk about a T-6 down the road, don't know if we'll ever get it done. Have a friend that owned one for years here in Colorado, sold it a few years ago and purchased a nice 185. He and his wife loved the T-6 but on long trips not enough room for all the baggage she liked to take.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2018, 22:02 

Hope the dreams become reality. It's unique and very satisfying flying and operations for sure.
Yesterday Andrew brought up N151AM with a passenger named Willy Hackett. Willy has been out before and is a British Pilot of some degree of experience and has a bunch of 2 and 3 Letter designations following his name which are important I guess. He is an accomplished Airshow display pilot as well but had yet to fly a P-51, but like most, is a nice guy around the airport.
He flew our SNJ-5 for most of the afternoon making a bunch of circuits and no flap landings with a moderate cross wind.
He has flown behind the Merlin in Spitfires so the mindset was in place.
Andrew loaned him the 51 and he set off for nearby Lancaster with a wide and long runway for 3 full stop approaches and departures before bringing it back here to a bit anxious owner.
It was a great day for him, a new P-51 pilot.
Attachment:
IMG_0970.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0975.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0978.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 09:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4130
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
Good man, Andrew! (and well done Willy, bringing it back unscathed!)

One day......

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4