Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: TTx is out of production
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 09:18 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Username Protected wrote:
The young prematurely rich guys buying Cirri are really impressed by the parachute. Once they get a license, they will shove off into weather that many of us would not chance in a well equipped pressurized twin.

Cirrus has done a good job marketing their product but the early models suffer from seriously low useful load. An example - a friend volunteered to haul me and another pilot in an SR22T from Houston to Fort Worth to pick up an airplane. The straight line distance is 211 nm. The owner was a relatively light woman at 150 lbs. I am 275 and the other pilot was 200 lbs. We had to stop in Waco for fuel. In a A36 we could have departed with full fuel. How is Cirrus is getting away with that stuff? It's the parachute. Cessna should have added it to the TTX and stayed out of the utility category.

Just my tuppence worth on the subject.

Written like Cirrus hasn't been delivering airplanes for 18 years. Cirrus isn't the "new kid on the block".

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 10:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
The young prematurely rich guys buying Cirri are really impressed by the parachute. Once they get a license, they will shove off into weather that many of us would not chance in a well equipped pressurized twin.

Gerry,

This post is really disappointing. In the first place most of the Cirrus owners I've encountered aren't all that young. Really, if you think about it, that's too bad. There are continual threads here lamenting the paucity of new, young flyers. IF Cirrus were selling to a lot of them wouldn't that be a good thing?

"Prematurely rich"? That just sounds like jealousy at its worst, argumentum ad hominem at best. Disappointing. How does one get to be "prematurely rich"? Is that a thing? A problem? This is America! What difference does it make how long it takes? What's wrong with being rich? Does being young and rich mean you're stupid, fool hardy or a ridiculous risk taker?

Everyone ought to be impressed with the parachute in my opinion.

As for "they will shove off into weather that many of us would not chance in a well equipped pressurized twin"...prove it. There are fools flying all kinds of airplanes. Even well equipped pressurized twins. But anyone who takes Cirrus sponsored training isn't going to do it because they've been led to believe it's safe.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 11:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +225
Company: Parker Flight Training
Aircraft: 2018 Other

Gerry,

This post is really disappointing. In the first place most of the Cirrus owners I've encountered aren't all that young. Really, if you think about it, that's too bad. There are continual threads here lamenting the paucity of new, young flyers. IF Cirrus were selling to a lot of them wouldn't that be a good thing?

"Prematurely rich"? That just sounds like jealousy at its worst, argumentum ad hominem at best. Disappointing. How does one get to be "prematurely rich"? Is that a thing? A problem? This is America! What difference does it make how long it takes? What's wrong with being rich? Does being young and rich mean you're stupid, fool hardy or a ridiculous risk taker?

Everyone ought to be impressed with the parachute in my opinion.

As for "they will shove off into weather that many of us would not chance in a well equipped pressurized twin"...prove it. There are fools flying all kinds of airplanes. Even well equipped pressurized twins. But anyone who takes Cirrus sponsored training isn't going to do it because they've been led to believe it's safe.

Looks like you are taking this personally. Are you one of those prematurely rich guys I mentioned? As for "argumentum ad hominem," we don't speak much Latin in Texas. Perhaps you could translate that into English - or Spanish.

Actually, I am impressed with the parachute. I would like to see it on every single engine aircraft. Although I have flown my share of night and hard IFR in SE aircraft, I no longer do so. Having the parachute does change the paradigm a bit but doesn't make such operations completely idiot proof. Here is a link to an article written in 2012 by Richard Collins about the accident rate for Cirrus airplanes - https://airfactsjournal.com/2012/05/dic ... us-pilots/ This tends to support my contention that Cirrus pilots tend to be less safe as a group. Note that the Cirrus accident rate is higher than the average for the group even with the parachute. While Cirrus pilots may not all be young and prematurely rich, it certainly appears they tended prior to 2012 to take more risks than the entire group of GA pilots - and have the fatal accidents to prove it. Collins updated his article in 2016 and the link to it is here - https://airfactsjournal.com/2016/08/wha ... us-pilots/ The accident rate has considerably improved due mostly, in his opinion, to better dissemination of information by the Cirrus type club. It also could be due the fact that my "young prematurely rich guys" are not so young now and have scared themselves enough times to stop trying to emulate the airlines.

One thing to note - the Cirrus cannot be recovered from a spin - you must use the parachute. However, the parachute much be deployed at or above 1,000' AGL to be effective. Stall spin accidents in the traffic pattern are a big killer in GA. The Cirrus parachute confers no benefit for that type of accident, which is invariably fatal.

Lots of room for debate here.
KGTU (Georgetown, TX)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 11:31 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Are you one of those prematurely rich guys I mentioned? As for "argumentum ad hominem," we don't speak much Latin in Texas. Perhaps you could translate that into English - or Spanish.

Gerry,

Not taking it personally at all although I did own and fly a Cirrus for a few years. I just thought your post was unnecessarily perjorative. I'm not one of those "prematurely rich guys" either. Whatever financial status I may personally enjoy is the result of over 40 years of hard work. Regardless, I do think that you are wrong about the typical Cirrus buyer, their age, their economic circumstances and their thought processes and actions.

I don't think you can back any of it up with data either (notwithstanding your last post which doesn't even make the effort to prove your original assertion about prematurely rich guys shoving off into weather presumably less rich, older and wiser pilots wouldn't attempt in a well maintained pressurize twin), but I'd like to see you make the effort instead of argumentum ad hominem. I don't speak any Latin at all but the term is well known and is defined as "a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself."

I agree completely that there is "Lots of room for debate here" but you seem to be as interested in denigrating or marginalizing the owners/operators of the plane as the plane itself. Go right ahead but recognize that it makes any empirical arguments you may care to offer less effective. You're entitled to your opinion, and similar ones have been expressed here endlessly, I just don't care for the way you went about. I've read many of your posts in the past, met you briefly once, and respect you based on that. I think your original post here was disappointing in part because of that respect.

Last edited on 22 Feb 2018, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 11:33 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Looks like you are taking this personally. Are you one of those prematurely rich guys I mentioned? As for "argumentum ad hominem," we don't speak much Latin in Texas. Perhaps you could translate that into English - or Spanish.

Actually, I am impressed with the parachute. I would like to see it on every single engine aircraft. Although I have flown my share of night and hard IFR in SE aircraft, I no longer do so. Having the parachute does change the paradigm a bit but doesn't make such operations completely idiot proof. Here is a link to an article written in 2012 by Richard Collins about the accident rate for Cirrus airplanes - https://airfactsjournal.com/2012/05/dic ... us-pilots/ This tends to support my contention that Cirrus pilots tend to be less safe as a group. Note that the Cirrus accident rate is higher than the average for the group even with the parachute. While Cirrus pilots may not all be young and prematurely rich, it certainly appears they tended prior to 2012 to take more risks than the entire group of GA pilots - and have the fatal accidents to prove it. Collins updated his article in 2016 and the link to it is here - https://airfactsjournal.com/2016/08/wha ... us-pilots/ The accident rate has considerably improved due mostly, in his opinion, to better dissemination of information by the Cirrus type club. It also could be due the fact that my "young prematurely rich guys" are not so young now and have scared themselves enough times to stop trying to emulate the airlines.

One thing to note - the Cirrus cannot be recovered from a spin - you must use the parachute. However, the parachute much be deployed at or above 1,000' AGL to be effective. Stall spin accidents in the traffic pattern are a big killer in GA. The Cirrus parachute confers no benefit for that type of accident, which is invariably fatal.

Even the "rich folks airplane forum" has plenty of class warfare. Bizarre

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 11:37 

Post Likes: +8779
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
How does one get to be "prematurely rich"?

Something about playing polo or being a bootlegger, I can't remember.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 11:58 

Post Likes: +2660
Aircraft: D50
This is bringing me back to the old days. Feels like when I last heard these OWT's Osama Bin Laden was still alive, or maybe even Saddam.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 13:38 

Post Likes: +555
Aircraft: PA31, PA32R

I think that says all we need to know about your credibility on the Cirrus topic.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 13:45 

Post Likes: +14648
Aircraft: Prior SR22T,V35B,182

I didn't read all of this post, but then Jonathan quoted this part.

This is ridiculous. And wrong.

Anyone who has followed the ~1k threads addressing this knows they demonstrated spin recovery in Europe. But I would pull the chute. It's also what the POH says to do.

Second, 1k' is recommended due to reaction time; the demonstrated 1.5 spin recovery was less.

Third, and this is the big one: how many spin recoverable planes are going to recover if spun from pattern altitude? When not expected. With the average, non-acrobatic pilot.

Statistically, I would say none.

How many CAPS saves from pattern altitude. Several.

A lot of room for debate? Only if you're arguing from extreme bias.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 17:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +225
Company: Parker Flight Training
Aircraft: 2018 Other
Are you one of those prematurely rich guys I mentioned? As for "argumentum ad hominem," we don't speak much Latin in Texas. Perhaps you could translate that into English - or Spanish.

Gerry,

Not taking it personally at all although I did own and fly a Cirrus for a few years. I just thought your post was unnecessarily perjorative. I'm not one of those "prematurely rich guys" either. Whatever financial status I may personally enjoy is the result of over 40 years of hard work. Regardless, I do think that you are wrong about the typical Cirrus buyer, their age, their economic circumstances and their thought processes and actions.

I don't think you can back any of it up with data either (notwithstanding your last post which doesn't even make the effort to prove your original assertion about prematurely rich guys shoving off into weather presumably less rich, older and wiser pilots wouldn't attempt in a well maintained pressurize twin), but I'd like to see you make the effort instead of argumentum ad hominem. I don't speak any Latin at all but the term is well known and is defined as "a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself."

I agree completely that there is "Lots of room for debate here" but you seem to be as interested in denigrating or marginalizing the owners/operators of the plane as the plane itself. Go right ahead but recognize that it makes any empirical arguments you may care to offer less effective. You're entitled to your opinion, and similar ones have been expressed here endlessly, I just don't care for the way you went about. I've read many of your posts in the past, met you briefly once, and respect you based on that. I think your original post here was disappointing in part because of that respect.

Tony, I am sorry but I don't recall meeting you. However, I meant no disrespect to all Cirrus owners, including previous ones, as there appear to be several on this forum. And, I have heard from several already.

Did you read Richard Collins' articles before you replied? His first article supports some of what I said.

I don't think any information is available about the age of the typical Cirrus buyer. My information and the basis of my comment came from conversations over the past 10 years with various CSIPs - that many of their customers trained for their private licenses in their brand new Cirrus. Not all of these pilots were young but obviously all had enough money or credit to buy an expensive airplane for their first purchase.

My personal experience in Cirrus is with one SR22T that was owned by 3 very experienced pilots. In my first post on this subject, I mentioned that 3 of us could not make a 211 nm trip in it without stopping for fuel. That was correct and I saw the W&B calculation. Someone took exception to that saying it could not be true. It was!

In a further review of the Cirrus accident data I see that recent years accidents rates are greatly improved, apparently due to more thorough training and aggressive dissemination of information by their type club. I also note that the chute can be deployed at or above 500 feet with a reasonable degree of success.

A more recent analysis (through 2015) comparing Cirrus accidents to C210 accidents show two interesting points - the fatality rate of Cirrus accidents is 34% compared to 23% for the C210, and the median flight time for the accident pilots in the Cirrus is 727 hours compared to 1,468 for the C210 pilots. This tends to support my statement that lower time (or 0 time) pilots are buying the Cirrus.

The Cirrus is an interesting airplane and is clearly very successful in the market. My personal experience is limited to a few flights in one particular SR22T. My feelings about it are neutral - it's fast, the glass is nice, I like the TN550 engine, can't say I particularly like the side stick but I am sure I would get used to it. There is virtually no leg room in the back seat. It's slightly faster than a G-36TN but does not have anywhere near the utility.

Someone stated in this link that the Cirrus demonstrated spin recovery in Europe. Using that great encyclopedia in cyberspace - google - I was able to verify that - no unusual characteristics were noted. There is also at least one post on the internet where an instructor was able to recover from several spins after two turns. Since I was licensed long before the FAA outlawed spin training, I had a good bit of spin training in my early flying days back in the 60's. I also taught spins for a while and have done quite a few in both Cherokees and C172's. That said. recovering for a stall/spin at pattern altitude is problematic at the very least and most newer pilots who are not instructors have never done a spin so may not recognize one in time to initiate recovery. A quick pull of the CAPS might work a lot better.

By the way, I did study English logic once upon a time and I actually do know the meaning of an 'ad hominem" fallacy. However, I don't agree that I was using a fallacious argument.

This will be my last post on this subject. Enough is enough.
KGTU (Georgetown, TX)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 17:47 

Post Likes: +3381
Aircraft: planeless

I think someone once told me that jealousy is a sin and no one is without sin. Not religious; but the shoe seems to fit.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 18:07 

Post Likes: +6555
Aircraft: PA-46-310P
Since I was licensed long before the FAA outlawed spin training...
When did this occur?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 18:31 

Post Likes: +32
Aircraft: DA-42-NG

:popcorn:

Just goes to show everything is relative. We're mostly all paupers compared to a select group who are out there buying his and hers G650s for personal use. There have been interesting recent studies where people with $100M net worths are not considering themselves as rich/wealthy/far out on the right side of the curve as they actually are.

I've never understood begrudging someone for being successful in and of itself, even when I was younger and totally broke (now I'm a bit older and slightly less broke). I thought this was one of the "good things" about being American, which I always equated with being an aspiration-oriented culture across social strata, but it seems like I'm living in 1980s Sweden right now or something :D (no offense Adam / Swedes, it's perhaps an old worn out socialist stereotype).

I've spent almost all my money on sports cars and flying, the rest I've wasted! :rofl:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 18:36 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Even at $100m net worth it’s not hard to find people with 100x your wealth. Weird world

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 19:44 

Post Likes: +25
In my experience dealing with UHNW folks it is primarily significant cash flow that creates the “feeling” of wealth, not so much net worth. The reason? With the exception of those that have cashed out, most people with that level of net worth have the preponderance of their assets in closely held businesses or stock in public companies that pay little/no dividends (think tech). The cash flow stemming from assets of this nature are typically limited to salary/bonuses in the former, or small dividends and various forms of debt-based monetization in the latter. Suffice to say, the concept of “feeling wealthy” is pretty subjective. A fun question to ask people is how much would they need to have to consider themselves “rich”…be prepared for a wide range of answers.

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next